Family Health Centers of San Diego Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Family Health Centers of San Diego CEO Fran Butler-Cohen
Fran Butler-Cohen

Pros
  • Great benefits for you and the family (in 7 reviews)

• I appreciate the opportunity to be part of this mission and, at the same time, earn a good living with good benefits to support my family (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you want work life balance it is seen as poor work ethic (in 3 reviews)

• HARD WORK TO HELP PEOPLE BUT ITS OK (in 4 reviews)

1. "Patient Engagement Specilsit 1"

Current Employee - Engagement Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engagement Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family Health Centers Of San Diego is a great place to work. You have the opportunity to grow and great benefits, FHCSD provides great support and services to the Community

Cons

We san improve by having more Clinics specific to dental care, more prevention programs and programs that support people with Chronic diseases also I think we can have a Specialist Clinic for Seniors Care because the needs of this population is growing.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have more training opportunities related to our position so that we can provide better services and be more efficient. Another suggestion is that if you have been the same position for several years to be able to train others what you have learned and to move into different positions.

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time

Pros

Amazing nonprofit organization. I love its mission of providing quality healthcare services to everyone, especially to the underserved members of the patient population who need it the most. It is rapidly expanding its access points to reach many more families throughout San Diego County, which is an exciting time at the moment! Looking through my healthcare admin “lenses,” I am confident this company will continue to remain as a valuable resource to the community in decades to come. If you are creative, flexible to changing process, energetic, resourceful, and above all, have the heart to serve others, this is the place for you to not only grow in your career, but to love what you do. I have worked in a number of large healthcare organizations before, ranging from Kaiser Permanente to Blue Cross Blue Shield, and this has been by far the most rewarding experience for me, considering the direct impact work has on the most vulnerable members of society. Throughout the past 5 plus years I have been here, I had the opportunity to work in clinic operations and now the main offices, which is an experience that has evolved into a dream job. I go home at the end of most days feeling like I made a difference. Coming from a military family who often has an unstable schedule and competing personal priorities at the home front, the Management has only been supportive of both my personal and professional development. I have seen colleagues and Providers come and go, and some of them end up coming right back. The work is hard, it can be thankless and unappreciated at times, particularly by patients who can be overbearing and are often quick to complain. Our structure and situations change frequently. But if you take a moment to realize that the healthcare system is complex and life for our patient population is beyond difficult, you will understand your purpose of serving others. I often advise incoming employees and volunteers to make the most of every opportunity. You reap what you sow. Plant good seeds!

Cons

I have a few colleagues who are primarily task-oriented and lack the strategic “big picture” view necessary to maintain employee engagement. Communication has been a challenge across departments, but leadership is aware of this from survey feedback, and is making efforts to manage the delivery of information effectively. The rapid growth has been both an amazing accomplishment as well as a concern, since the speed at which the company is expanding often inadvertently prevents involvement by key employees and supervisors. Part of natural growing pains of any organization.

Advice to Management

Take the time to regularly conduct “stay interviews,” which is an important tool you shared with Supervisors years ago. This will keep employees connected with their leaders. Recruitment is under a lot of pressure to keep up with the need, but remind them to yes, hire for skills and experience, but more so for character. The “fun stuff” has been compromised in recent years due to competing priorities. Help staff maintain a work-life balance by re-activating employee perks, such as promoting ticket discounts to local attractions to help them remember that they work in the nation’s finest city! Encourage staff to celebrate successes and work anniversaries, not just major milestones (we do this in my department, and it's awesome). Time flies when you are having fun; years have passed on for many, and they don’t even realize their accomplishments along the way. Consider developing an Employee Engagement Committee to help track and sustain these positive aspects, to ultimately support Wellness efforts. Keep up the weekly Huddle, which has been a source of communication and inspiration. Thank you for all that you do!

"Dissatisfied with the blatant favoritism that happens so often."

Current Employee - Patient Engagement Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Engagement Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the mission of the company and what FHCSD has done for the community . I like how this company does help so many people who need health services who may otherwise not have access to care.

Cons

This company is a complete joke and cannot be taken seriously. This company is plagued by favoritism! There are individuals who have no college degree making higher wages than that of a college graduate. They bend and edit job descriptions to get certain people in jobs that would usually require a degree. Sad to say but this company caters to their Mexican employees and they run the show. If you are African American good luck being treated fairly in the workplace. They bring in their cousin's, sister, brother, girlfriend, etc who have no experience but they get the jobs and the better pay. It's all in who you know to get your foot in the door. I wish the CEO would take a close look at FHCSD's turnover rate and the company's overall hiring process. This company is not a good place to work for.

Advice to Management

Be fair and stop showing favoritism. Acknowledge all employees who are doing a great job.

Family Health Centers of San Diego Response

Apr 10, 2017 – Director-Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your perspective regarding your work experience at Family Health Centers of San Diego. We're sorry that your experience has not been positive and encourage you to share your ... More

5. "MA"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant (MA) III in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant (MA) III in San Diego, CA

I worked at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, always busy, nice co-workers. You get to meet a lot of people and you are learning new things every day.

Cons

When you have a very rude patient sometimes your clinic director might not be by your side, it's all about numbers at this place. It seems that's what each clinic is trying to reach, having the higher number of patients, instead of giving the highest of quality care to the patient.

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Partner Services in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Partner Services in San Diego, CA

Pros

great people, expanding, possibility for advance

Cons

Don't have any so far.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

"Busy, Busy, Busy!"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in La Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in La Mesa, CA

Pros

Very diverse environment, never a dull moment with lots of different opportunities to show scope of practice.

Cons

Can be difficult to find management when needed without overhead paging system. Not much room for growth in the company. Not many raises.

8. "Great Mission!"

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time

Pros

Family Health Centers of San Diego has a great mission--providing quality healthcare to everyone, particularly those from underserved communities. I appreciate the opportunity to be part of this mission and, at the same time, earn a good living with good benefits to support my family. The people I work with are dedicated, hard-working, and team-oriented; many of whom have been with the organization many years. The organization is growing fast, which means there are plenty of opportunities for advancement and career development, and the support to do so with a tuition reimbursement program and mentoring. I highly recommend the organization to anyone wanting to work with an organization with a compelling mission and the opportunity to make thousands and thousands of lives better.

Cons

Healthcare is rapidly changing and the organization is growing very fast, which sometimes puts pressure on employees. However, it's great to be part of a strong organization that is growing fast--lots of opportunities and it's very interesting to be a part of it all.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the employees and patients because they know how best to serve and improve.

"Mental health"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

FHCSD provides important healthcare services to members of the community who might otherwise not receive any, and the overall mission is meaningful. Employees are dedicated and work hard to serve the patients.

Cons

Many employees are dissatisfied and struggling to manage an extremely high caseload in the mental health department. Employees feel voiceless and have very little control over their working conditions. Attempts to improve work conditions are futile—there will continue to be very high employee turnover until management starts to listen and treat employee input as meaningful.

Advice to Management

Ask, then listen, to feedback from current employees. FHCSD has dedicated providers who care deeply about their clients and FHCSDs overall mission but are overburdened by client demand, and thus feel unable to provide adequate client care. Management seems to have a misplaced emphasis on increasing patients served and creating new programs, rather than improving current working conditions and retaining necessary providers for these programs. Retaining staff members over longer periods of time will not only benefit the agency but its consumers as well, who deserve adequate continuity of care.

"Associate Clinic Director"

Current Employee - Associate Clinic Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Clinic Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience to learn skills pertinent for health management. Company is very mission driven and provides care at many angles to help it's patients. Company is always growing so there is lots of room for growth within the organization.

Cons

Can be long hours as there is lots of work to be done. The pay is adequate but not outstanding.

Advice to Management

At times it feels we are running 100 miles per hour, changes are made to attempt to improve systems every day. It could help to slow down slightly to perfect systems before moving on to the next project.

"Too much supervising, feels like we are felons"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Spring Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Spring Valley, CA

Pros

Great benefits, growing company with lots of room for someone new in the healthcare industry

Cons

Too much money and time spent policing employees that they deemed capable at the hiring time to then decide they need constant supervision and harassment.

Advice to Management

Less counting the numbers and more quality service for both patients and staff. Less policing and shaming employees and more quality training at hiring, not your BS "on the job training, if you mess it up is on you"