Family Health Centers of San Diego Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

3.6
Family Health Centers of San Diego CEO Fran Butler-Cohen
Fran Butler-Cohen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits for you and the family (in 7 reviews)

• Colleagues; Family Hours; Supervision provided; good benefits; some training paid for; make your own schedule to see children in school setting (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • If you want to help the homeless and underserved, find another way (in 3 reviews)

• If you want work life balance it is seen as poor work ethic (in 3 reviews)

1. "LVN Assistant Charge Nurse"

Current Employee - LVN Assistant Charge Nurse in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - LVN Assistant Charge Nurse in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, sometimes over time

Cons

None as of yet, good

"MFT Intern-School Counselor"

Former Employee - MFTI Mental Health Therapist in Spring Valley, CA
    Former Employee - MFTI Mental Health Therapist in Spring Valley, CA

I worked at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues; Family Hours; Supervision provided; good benefits; some training paid for; make your own schedule to see children in school setting.

Cons

Management; summer schedule hours are significantly reduced; county paperwork is overwhelming, never-ending, and constantly increasing or changing; staff works on their own time in order to complete piled up paperwork.

Advice to Management

Advocate for your team; go to meetings and voice concerns about county politics and paperwork that get in the way of your employees trying to do their job. Monthly work productivity goals are ridiculous! They are set at an unachievable level-employees are setup to fail each month trying to achieve the impossible and morale goes down the toilet each time a report is handed to them. This leads to staff working on their own time at home in order to get paperwork completed-this is unacceptable.

Jun 29, 2017 – Director-Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Some of our therapy interns work under a County Contract, which comes with many requirements that are beyond our control. We value the opportunity to meet the unmet... More

3. "Lvn charge nurse"

Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid company, opportunity for growth

Cons

Not many they are a great company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Jun 29, 2017 – Director-Human Resources

Thank you so much for this feedback, and thank you for your dedication to the Family Health Centers of San Diego mission to serve the underserved. Keep on saving lives!

4. "Care Coordination Supervisor"

Former Employee - Care Coordination Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Care Coordination Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic leadership, fast-paced environment, consistent support from above, room to grow, clear rules and boundaries

Cons

Minor disconnects between upper management and directors

5. "Patient Engagement Specilsit 1"

Current Employee - Engagement Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engagement Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family Health Centers Of San Diego is a great place to work. You have the opportunity to grow and great benefits, FHCSD provides great support and services to the Community

Cons

We san improve by having more Clinics specific to dental care, more prevention programs and programs that support people with Chronic diseases also I think we can have a Specialist Clinic for Seniors Care because the needs of this population is growing.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have more training opportunities related to our position so that we can provide better services and be more efficient. Another suggestion is that if you have been the same position for several years to be able to train others what you have learned and to move into different positions.

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time

Pros

Amazing nonprofit organization. I love its mission of providing quality healthcare services to everyone, especially to the underserved members of the patient population who need it the most. It is rapidly expanding its access points to reach many more families throughout San Diego County, which is an exciting time at the moment! Looking through my healthcare admin “lenses,” I am confident this company will continue to remain as a valuable resource to the community in decades to come. If you are creative, flexible to changing process, energetic, resourceful, and above all, have the heart to serve others, this is the place for you to not only grow in your career, but to love what you do. I have worked in a number of large healthcare organizations before, ranging from Kaiser Permanente to Blue Cross Blue Shield, and this has been by far the most rewarding experience for me, considering the direct impact work has on the most vulnerable members of society. Throughout the past 5 plus years I have been here, I had the opportunity to work in clinic operations and now the main offices, which is an experience that has evolved into a dream job. I go home at the end of most days feeling like I made a difference. Coming from a military family who often has an unstable schedule and competing personal priorities at the home front, the Management has only been supportive of both my personal and professional development. I have seen colleagues and Providers come and go, and some of them end up coming right back. The work is hard, it can be thankless and unappreciated at times, particularly by patients who can be overbearing and are often quick to complain. Our structure and situations change frequently. But if you take a moment to realize that the healthcare system is complex and life for our patient population is beyond difficult, you will understand your purpose of serving others. I often advise incoming employees and volunteers to make the most of every opportunity. You reap what you sow. Plant good seeds!

Cons

I have a few colleagues who are primarily task-oriented and lack the strategic “big picture” view necessary to maintain employee engagement. Communication has been a challenge across departments, but leadership is aware of this from survey feedback, and is making efforts to manage the delivery of information effectively. The rapid growth has been both an amazing accomplishment as well as a concern, since the speed at which the company is expanding often inadvertently prevents involvement by key employees and supervisors. Part of natural growing pains of any organization.

Advice to Management

Take the time to regularly conduct “stay interviews,” which is an important tool you shared with Supervisors years ago. This will keep employees connected with their leaders. Recruitment is under a lot of pressure to keep up with the need, but remind them to yes, hire for skills and experience, but more so for character. The “fun stuff” has been compromised in recent years due to competing priorities. Help staff maintain a work-life balance by re-activating employee perks, such as promoting ticket discounts to local attractions to help them remember that they work in the nation’s finest city! Encourage staff to celebrate successes and work anniversaries, not just major milestones (we do this in my department, and it's awesome). Time flies when you are having fun; years have passed on for many, and they don’t even realize their accomplishments along the way. Consider developing an Employee Engagement Committee to help track and sustain these positive aspects, to ultimately support Wellness efforts. Keep up the weekly Huddle, which has been a source of communication and inspiration. Thank you for all that you do!

"Dissatisfied with the blatant favoritism that happens so often."

Current Employee - Patient Engagement Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Engagement Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the mission of the company and what FHCSD has done for the community . I like how this company does help so many people who need health services who may otherwise not have access to care.

Cons

This company is a complete joke and cannot be taken seriously. This company is plagued by favoritism! There are individuals who have no college degree making higher wages than that of a college graduate. They bend and edit job descriptions to get certain people in jobs that would usually require a degree. Sad to say but this company caters to their Mexican employees and they run the show. If you are African American good luck being treated fairly in the workplace. They bring in their cousin's, sister, brother, girlfriend, etc who have no experience but they get the jobs and the better pay. It's all in who you know to get your foot in the door. I wish the CEO would take a close look at FHCSD's turnover rate and the company's overall hiring process. This company is not a good place to work for.

Advice to Management

Be fair and stop showing favoritism. Acknowledge all employees who are doing a great job.

Apr 10, 2017 – Director-Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your perspective regarding your work experience at Family Health Centers of San Diego. We're sorry that your experience has not been positive and encourage you to share your... More

8. "MA"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant (MA) III in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant (MA) III in San Diego, CA

I worked at Family Health Centers of San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, always busy, nice co-workers. You get to meet a lot of people and you are learning new things every day.

Cons

When you have a very rude patient sometimes your clinic director might not be by your side, it's all about numbers at this place. It seems that's what each clinic is trying to reach, having the higher number of patients, instead of giving the highest of quality care to the patient.

9. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Partner Services in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Partner Services in San Diego, CA

Pros

great people, expanding, possibility for advance

Cons

Don't have any so far.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

"Busy, Busy, Busy!"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in La Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in La Mesa, CA

Pros

Very diverse environment, never a dull moment with lots of different opportunities to show scope of practice.

Cons

Can be difficult to find management when needed without overhead paging system. Not much room for growth in the company. Not many raises.