Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews

Updated November 18, 2018

4.2
Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO, FHL Agency Division Kenneth J. Matson
Kenneth J. Matson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great products and great training at" (in 15 reviews)

• "PRO: if you are willing to put in the hard work and time it takes and listen to what they teach you, you can make a lot of money" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Door to door sales, strictly commission" (in 18 reviews)

• "100% commission; you can work as much as you want if you cant convince people to buy your policies you will not be paid" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great entrepreneurial progressive company!"

Current Employee - National Recruiter
    Current Employee - National Recruiter

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, great business partner and great for the community!

Cons

Need to hire more young hard working people.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for entrepreneurial people that are interested in the #BestOpportunityInAmerica!!!

2. "Outside sales rep"

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time

Pros

Teaches you a lot about sales. My team was very supportive, it felt like a family right off the bat. Good bonus opportunities. Your schedule can be flexible if you want it to be. You are your own boss.

Cons

Very hard work at first. Door to door sales, strictly commission.

Advice to Management

honestly I don't have any advice. The work is hard, and definitely not for everyone, but management is good at letting you vent your frustrations and helping you through them.

3. "Best Decision Ive ever made"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited training for free, great support system and motivation, the system does not fail

Cons

if your not self motivated this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you make the hard days easier and the good days great.

"Simply amazing company!!! Seriously!!!"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Montgomery, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Montgomery, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your earnings are unlimited and you get the freedom to work as much as you want to

Cons

I want to work non stop now

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Look before you make the leap"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can actually do this job it would be awesome. All the freedom you want, there were people doing very well and a corporate job without all the top level BS.

Cons

I was not prepared at all for what this job actually was so let me help prepare you. Coming from a strong background in this field I thought I could knock it out of the park but found it very difficult, and was totally abandoned. Let’s be clear what this job is. You have two choices, you can go door-to-door to businesses and bother anyone that will talk to you and try to randomly convince them they need supplemental insurance which I found to be a very hard sell. Now there are people knocking it out of the park, but I put in the effort and didn’t see much success. I couldn’t quite develop the knack for how to get people to buy it. Choice #2 is randomly just showing up at peoples homes and trying to convince them they need this. There is no other way to do it. They admit calling does not work and there are no leads. I tried to buy leads from other sources and not one person had signed up for a lead for this. I called, I networked, I joined evening networking groups, I tried everything. I also would absolutely not recommend this job for anyone that is tied down with kids without someone to help you. Expect to be gone one week a month going to various locations for me it was like a six to eight hour drive to watch the masters at work to learn to do this job. If you can commit to doing this you probably could make it work. Every month, at least for several months or you most likely will fail. You go to a one week training when you start again I had to drive four hours and be gone from the kids. Then was told I would have three weeks of field training of someone coming to me. Here is the problem. You must have a person making money off of you willing to be away from their own family for three weeks and then they would have to share sales with you or steal your sales or make no
    Money so big surprise that never happened. I arranged for someone to help me after driving 3.5 hours twice for help and guess what? That’s all the help I ever got. Once they saw I was struggling they totally abandoned me and no one reached out to me for months which is pretty sad. But I did what they said and just wasn’t good at it for some reason. You have to have a personality of no fear where you can sweet talk anyone, are not afraid to bother people and also have to really make them see what they needed it. So if that’s not you look elsewhere. Also I spend a ton of money on home office supplies and gas. I was told I could work at home but was never ever home. If you live in the country it will be hard, because you blow through those people quick so I was driving over an hour each day to find people to talk too.

Advice to Management

Don’t abandon people. I totally understand why the training didn’t work out but I feel like I was mislead all around on what the actual job was, no one reached out to me, and you made a mistake by assigning me someone that had also only been with the company a few weeks as a trainer who refused to travel. I really felt abandoned by you.

"Very good company with great benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Free sales school. Traveling benefits. And you get paid out based out of commission so you make good money.

Cons

You aren’t paid for the training

7. "Licensed Insurance Agent"

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Meet lots of new people
    Encouraging managers and support system
    Incentive Trips
    No cap on how much you can earn

Cons

Commission based
    Steep learning curve
    Daily rejection

"Licensed Insurance Agent"

Former Employee - Lic Insurance Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Lic Insurance Agent in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ecouragement and Support to obtain License

Cons

There is not one on one training for New Licensed Agents. After Training 101 and etc you are left to fen for yourself. Book knowledge is good to have however, not everyone is a BS'er. When it comes to Health and Health Insurance it is our Job to ethically meet a clients needs and be able to communicate the products in a knowledgeable and Ethical manner. Totally commissioned based. No benefits. If you move to a different State, Agenies will not pick you up.

Advice to Management

One on one Training with New Agents. Don't allow them to sink or swim. We all want to learn to succeed.

"Turn around BAD NEWS"

Former Employee - Agent in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Agent in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not really much in the aspect of pros

Cons

structure is built around mass recruiting but no one knows how to train people to be quality. Everything is a "CON" here. There is a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to train quality personal. They hire mass amounts of people that don't make it. The agency owners and team leaders are out for themselves and have zero follow through. Positive reviews here are from people recruiting heavily that got in at the right time. There is superior products as far as supplemental insurance goes.

Advice to Management

Just because someone made it in sales doesn't mean they are a leader. On the weekly calls I heard one agency based out of Seattle that has a real hands on, in the field training program. Stop being all talk and actually take action to help people grow. Recruiting 50 agents when you should be molding a few is absolutely not the way to go.

"Best position out there in supplemental right now"

Current Employee - Field Director in Fort Pierce, FL
    Current Employee - Field Director in Fort Pierce, FL

Pros

Game changing products, great career track, amazing training, flexible hours and schedule, stock bonuses

Cons

Can take a little while to get good at it.