Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews

Updated October 14, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO, FHL Agency Division Kenneth J. Matson
Kenneth J. Matson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great products and great training at" (in 15 reviews)

• "Great products if you receive NO Medicaid help, remember it's common for states to assist catastrophic illness especially for children" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "This job starts out as a door to door salesman" (in 18 reviews)

• "100% commission; you can work as much as you want if you cant convince people to buy your policies you will not be paid" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Best Decision Ive ever made"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited training for free, great support system and motivation, the system does not fail

Cons

if your not self motivated this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you make the hard days easier and the good days great.

"Simply amazing company!!! Seriously!!!"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Montgomery, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Montgomery, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your earnings are unlimited and you get the freedom to work as much as you want to

Cons

I want to work non stop now

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Very good company with great benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Free sales school. Traveling benefits. And you get paid out based out of commission so you make good money.

Cons

You aren’t paid for the training

4. "Licensed Insurance Agent"

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Meet lots of new people
    Encouraging managers and support system
    Incentive Trips
    No cap on how much you can earn

Cons

Commission based
    Steep learning curve
    Daily rejection

"Look before you make the leap"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can actually do this job it would be awesome. All the freedom you want, there were people doing very well and a corporate job without all the top level BS.

Cons

I was not prepared at all for what this job actually was so let me help prepare you. Coming from a strong background in this field I thought I could knock it out of the park but found it very difficult, and was totally abandoned. Let’s be clear what this job is. You have two choices, you can go door-to-door to businesses and bother anyone that will talk to you and try to randomly convince them they need supplemental insurance which I found to be a very hard sell. Now there are people knocking it out of the park, but I put in the effort and didn’t see much success. I couldn’t quite develop the knack for how to get people to buy it. Choice #2 is randomly just showing up at peoples homes and trying to convince them they need this. There is no other way to do it. They admit calling does not work and there are no leads. I tried to buy leads from other sources and not one person had signed up for a lead for this. I called, I networked, I joined evening networking groups, I tried everything. I also would absolutely not recommend this job for anyone that is tied down with kids without someone to help you. Expect to be gone one week a month going to various locations for me it was like a six to eight hour drive to watch the masters at work to learn to do this job. If you can commit to doing this you probably could make it work. Every month, at least for several months or you most likely will fail. You go to a one week training when you start again I had to drive four hours and be gone from the kids. Then was told I would have three weeks of field training of someone coming to me. Here is the problem. You must have a person making money off of you willing to be away from their own family for three weeks and then they would have to share sales with you or steal your sales or make no
    Money so big surprise that never happened. I arranged for someone to help me after driving 3.5 hours twice for help and guess what? That’s all the help I ever got. Once they saw I was struggling they totally abandoned me and no one reached out to me for months which is pretty sad. But I did what they said and just wasn’t good at it for some reason. You have to have a personality of no fear where you can sweet talk anyone, are not afraid to bother people and also have to really make them see what they needed it. So if that’s not you look elsewhere. Also I spend a ton of money on home office supplies and gas. I was told I could work at home but was never ever home. If you live in the country it will be hard, because you blow through those people quick so I was driving over an hour each day to find people to talk too.

Advice to Management

Don’t abandon people. I totally understand why the training didn’t work out but I feel like I was mislead all around on what the actual job was, no one reached out to me, and you made a mistake by assigning me someone that had also only been with the company a few weeks as a trainer who refused to travel. I really felt abandoned by you.

"Best position out there in supplemental right now"

Current Employee - Field Director in Fort Pierce, FL
    Current Employee - Field Director in Fort Pierce, FL

Pros

Game changing products, great career track, amazing training, flexible hours and schedule, stock bonuses

Cons

Can take a little while to get good at it.

"Sales representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance part-time

Pros

Very good products, easy to sell on the long term.

Cons

Cold calls hard to sell in the beginning

Advice to Management

Keep the good work..!

8. "Would not recommend"

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time

Pros

You're not behind a desk.

Cons

They say you get to make your own hours, but you don't really because you have to check in with your supervisor every day and go through exactly what you did and prove how you spent your time. You don't get to run "your business" the way you would like to. They also say that their process works....it doesn't. It may work a few times, but definitely not enough to make it worth your time and personal money. You even have to pay for the lodging, food, and the training they put you through. Not a single person is left out of my training class. The turnover is mind boggling...and yet the process works, right? I was totally duped and that's on me. I should have read reviews of the company AND reviews of the product. That's another thing, if any of your potential clients pull up reviews they will be extremely wary...as they should be. The company gives you canned reviews from their website to combat other online reviews. It's a very steep hill to climb as a salesperson. Purely commission based even though I was told in the interview process that there was a base.

Advice to Management

Totally revamp your training and provide quality resources/funds to start-up salespeople. The real life stories provided are only able to be found on the companies website and are suspect to someone buying supplemental insurance - especially since the product sounds too good to be true even if it's totally legitimate.

"Agent"

Pros

The training and support was excellent and the people working for the company could not have been more supportive and positive. The track to success is laid out and attainable.

Cons

Working alone 9-12 hrs per day. Being in your car much of that time. Commuting to far away and often remote locations. Speaking to people who generally have no interest in you or what your doing and often want to be left alone.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any advice for management. I have nothing bad to say just that job was NOT for me. I did not enjoy it AT ALL and got little or no satisfaction out of it. However , that doesn't mean that other won't enjoy it or won't succeed. Some people do very well.

"Fun people!"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

High energy positive work environment

Cons

Selling can be very brutal!