Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews

Updated February 15, 2019

4.2
Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO, FHL Agency Division Kenneth J. Matson
Kenneth J. Matson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great products and great training at" (in 15 reviews)

• "Great products, great business partner and great for the community" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Door to door sales, strictly commission" (in 20 reviews)

• "100% commission; you can work as much as you want if you cant convince people to buy your policies you will not be paid" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Work hard get paid well"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid on what you are capable of doing---I came from a construction background with no sales training at all. I made 115,000 my first year and exceeded that every year I was working there. Great training. Great trips and bonuses.

Cons

You must be a go getter if not you will fail. This is not a career for someone that just wants a check, wants to reinvent the wheel, or expects things to be handed to them.
    Definitely not for lazy minded individuals.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money if your a sales professional

Cons

This is only commission, and there is no base salary :(

Advice to Management

Offer base salary and then it would be a great place for people to work for.

3. "Benefits are decent, Managers and environment are hostile"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner II in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner II in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Time off of work is easily accrued and bosses work with you to give you time off.

Cons

Company was bought out a number of years ago, new owners are getting rid of departments, managers are very hostile and act clueless to what is going on. Pay is HORRIBLE.

Advice to Management

Be truthful if you know something is going on within the company and pay better.

4. "Great product! Horrible experience."

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Great products
    *Meet many new people
    *Pay if you can sell policies
    *Most people had positive attitudes to work with.

Cons

*Training in Tenn. isn't worth it.
    *Mentoring is horrible
    *Door to Door
    *Free Leads is access to a free program to cold calls

Advice to Management

Train your agents better and mentor them until they get at least a few sales on the books. It should be your goal to set them up for success by doing the hard work with them so they have a good idea what it truly takes. Better communication and don't expect in person meetings at the office 3x a week if there is no base salary. It was a lot of waste of gas, time and effort ultimately.

5. "Door to Door Sales - Don't Let Them Tell You Otherwise"

Former Employee - Licensed Sales Producer
    Former Employee - Licensed Sales Producer

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set your own schedule. The product is FANTASTIC. I still have it for my family. Once you can build up a network of referrals, you can make a good living for yourself, but it takes a lot of long hours and hard work. And yes, I listed that in the Pros section. After 5 years, you will receive renewal income for life! You could walk away from it and live off the renewal income for the rest of your life. But that won't come easy. It will take nothing but time and hard work.

Cons

It's door-to-door sales. Plain and simple. At least in the beginning, it is. No matter how you sugar coat it, you will not build a network of referrals to work until you first go door-to-door. Some municipalities require permits that can run up to $100 per week. If you don't get the permit, you can get fined and ultimately arrested. If you get someone angry with you when you are going door to door, they can make life very difficult for you. The may complain about "shady people knocking on my door" and start a panic on Facebook. You are working out in the rain, the snow, the heat and the cold. In the summer, you can work as many as 10-12 hours per day. In the rain and/or excessive heat.

Advice to Management

When I went through the hiring process, I told them in no uncertain terms that I did not want to give up a career that I had worked at for the past 12 years with a $55,000 salary to go door-to-door. I told them the ONLY thing I did not want to do was go door-to-door. AFTER I had left my old job, with no turning back, THEN I went to sales school and discovered that I would have to be working door-to-door for a significant amount of time in order to build up my business. I really wish they would have said they would not hire me, as I had to go door-to-door.

6. "Best Opportunity in America"

Current Employee - Market Director in Edwards, CO
    Current Employee - Market Director in Edwards, CO

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Unlimited income potentials (through renewals)
    Career track advancement based on performance
    Ongoing training / support
    Annual recognition for achievement
    Bonuses / Torchmark stock

Cons

your success or failure is based on your activity

7. "Beautiful Company where you can have a lifelong Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture.
    The opportunity for growth.
    The product - unlike any other supplemental insurance.
    Knowing you are changing lives.
    Uncapped potential.
    Flexibility.
    A secure future.

Cons

You have to work hard - but that's not really a con. ;)

8. "Outside sales rep"

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time

Pros

Teaches you a lot about sales. My team was very supportive, it felt like a family right off the bat. Good bonus opportunities. Your schedule can be flexible if you want it to be. You are your own boss.

Cons

Very hard work at first. Door to door sales, strictly commission.

Advice to Management

honestly I don't have any advice. The work is hard, and definitely not for everyone, but management is good at letting you vent your frustrations and helping you through them.

9. "Great entrepreneurial progressive company!"

Current Employee - National Recruiter
    Current Employee - National Recruiter

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, great business partner and great for the community!

Cons

Need to hire more young hard working people.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for entrepreneurial people that are interested in the #BestOpportunityInAmerica!!!

"Look before you make the leap"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can actually do this job it would be awesome. All the freedom you want, there were people doing very well and a corporate job without all the top level BS.

Cons

I was not prepared at all for what this job actually was so let me help prepare you. Coming from a strong background in this field I thought I could knock it out of the park but found it very difficult, and was totally abandoned. Let’s be clear what this job is. You have two choices, you can go door-to-door to businesses and bother anyone that will talk to you and try to randomly convince them they need supplemental insurance which I found to be a very hard sell. Now there are people knocking it out of the park, but I put in the effort and didn’t see much success. I couldn’t quite develop the knack for how to get people to buy it. Choice #2 is randomly just showing up at peoples homes and trying to convince them they need this. There is no other way to do it. They admit calling does not work and there are no leads. I tried to buy leads from other sources and not one person had signed up for a lead for this. I called, I networked, I joined evening networking groups, I tried everything. I also would absolutely not recommend this job for anyone that is tied down with kids without someone to help you. Expect to be gone one week a month going to various locations for me it was like a six to eight hour drive to watch the masters at work to learn to do this job. If you can commit to doing this you probably could make it work. Every month, at least for several months or you most likely will fail. You go to a one week training when you start again I had to drive four hours and be gone from the kids. Then was told I would have three weeks of field training of someone coming to me. Here is the problem. You must have a person making money off of you willing to be away from their own family for three weeks and then they would have to share sales with you or steal your sales or make no
    Money so big surprise that never happened. I arranged for someone to help me after driving 3.5 hours twice for help and guess what? That’s all the help I ever got. Once they saw I was struggling they totally abandoned me and no one reached out to me for months which is pretty sad. But I did what they said and just wasn’t good at it for some reason. You have to have a personality of no fear where you can sweet talk anyone, are not afraid to bother people and also have to really make them see what they needed it. So if that’s not you look elsewhere. Also I spend a ton of money on home office supplies and gas. I was told I could work at home but was never ever home. If you live in the country it will be hard, because you blow through those people quick so I was driving over an hour each day to find people to talk too.

Advice to Management

Don’t abandon people. I totally understand why the training didn’t work out but I feel like I was mislead all around on what the actual job was, no one reached out to me, and you made a mistake by assigning me someone that had also only been with the company a few weeks as a trainer who refused to travel. I really felt abandoned by you.