Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO Howard Lewis
Howard Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great products and great training at (in 11 reviews)

• Ability to grow a business that you have an actual equity stake in, get paid very well and lock in a permanent residual income (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Door to door/B2b sales is a tough gig (in 15 reviews)

• 100% commission, door to door sales (in 10 reviews)

1. "Recruiter/Agent"

Current Employee - Agent in Weldon Spring, MO
    Current Employee - Agent in Weldon Spring, MO

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always do what they say they are going to. Very clear career track. Opportunity for growth. You are valued. Very family-first culture. They believe in pouring quality time into quality people. They actually care about each other and supply you with the tools you need to be successful. Systems are already in place. Activity based business. Opportunity to earn what you're worth!

Cons

It's not just another job. This is an actually career choice. You have to take it seriously and commit, not just dip your toe in the water. Some days aren't as easy as you hope but that's when you put pressure on the system and not yourself. With great autonomy, comes great accountability. You can't just like the idea of becoming successful. It's a choice and you have to decide first.

Advice to Management

Let's have more team building events. Maybe, once every other month!

2. "Sales Professional"

Pros

Make your own hours, freedom, flexibility

Cons

100% commission, door to door sales

"Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Door to Door Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Door to Door Sales Representative

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money.

Cons

The way the policy benefits are advertised is different from the requirements for the benefits to be paid. It is 100% commission. The company training is very dismissive of door to door solicitation laws and the community in which I was selling has a $500 fine for failure to register for a permit.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the job and the policy benefits.

"The jury is still out on this as a career."

Current Employee - Agent
    Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The promises are appealing and I like the management. The sales training was good.

Cons

Our Team Leader is by far the best salesperson. I doubt he has ever been in a management/leadership role. I expected sales to start somewhat slow, but it has been very hard work for very little financial gain. In fact, I've spent far more money getting started than I have been paid. I went to a week of training and then spent a week in the field with a Trainer and a couple days with a Team Lead and only have a couple small sales which is more than I can say for my trainer who is also new. I'm told I'm doing well and to keep practicing and the sales will start happening. I'm putting in the work and doing my best to have a positive attitude, but can't keep investing time without financial results. I have a family. It would be more encourage of the other Agents on my team were successful. I may walk away and chalk this up as not a good fit, but I'm worried Family Heritage will pursue me wanting reimbursement for training and other expenses.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic. It is not realistic to pump-up the troops by highlighting the 3 performers out of ~1,100. Do some product training versus almost all sales training.

"Agent"

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time

Pros

Great training and support. Outstanding supplemental product

Cons

No base, no lead system

"Not Thrilled"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Not sure I can think if any to be honest.

Cons

Low pay as compared to the rest of the industry. Only a good place if you love tons of cold calling with no lead system at all.

Advice to Management

Spend some of the money you are keeping from the agents on a lead generation system. When an agent starts at only 30% there should plenty of overage for the company to spend a few bucks.

"Agent"

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Moderate training, if you're vested you can designate another person to receive your residuals. Great products if you receive NO Medicaid help, remember it's common for states to assist catastrophic illness especially for children

Cons

100% cold calling, if you do not stay two years you will be held responsible for training travel and lodging

Advice to Management

Learn your products before training new agents. No other company reclaims training cost. Not worth $2500

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Human Resources Director
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Professional environment and a company that cares about their employees. Very committed to community efforts.

Cons

Lines of communication with corporate could use improvement

Advice to Management

Keep lines of communication open for mid-level management to corporate executives.

"Good when you can make a sale but tough when you can't."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

Positive leadership along with a sales team that works hard at keeping you positive. You will need it because the sales field will be tough and you will be faced with negativity.

Cons

Tough job selling insurance and pay is only commission so you will stress when your not able to make a sale. No base pay and no health benefits of any kind.

10. "Loved interning here"

Former Employee - Internship
    Former Employee - Internship

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to help

Cons

Sometimes given busy work, albeit it was important