Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Family Heritage Life Insurance President and CEO Howard Lewis
Howard Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great products and great training at (in 12 reviews)

• Ability to grow a business that you have an actual equity stake in, get paid very well and lock in a permanent residual income (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Door to door/B2b sales is a tough gig (in 15 reviews)

• 100% commission, door to door sales (in 10 reviews)

"Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Door to Door Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Door to Door Sales Representative

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money.

Cons

The way the policy benefits are advertised is different from the requirements for the benefits to be paid. It is 100% commission. The company training is very dismissive of door to door solicitation laws and the community in which I was selling has a $500 fine for failure to register for a permit.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the job and the policy benefits.

"Not Thrilled"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not sure I can think if any to be honest.

Cons

Low pay as compared to the rest of the industry. Only a good place if you love tons of cold calling with no lead system at all.

Advice to Management

Spend some of the money you are keeping from the agents on a lead generation system. When an agent starts at only 30% there should plenty of overage for the company to spend a few bucks.

"Agent"

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Moderate training, if you're vested you can designate another person to receive your residuals. Great products if you receive NO Medicaid help, remember it's common for states to assist catastrophic illness especially for children

Cons

100% cold calling, if you do not stay two years you will be held responsible for training travel and lodging

Advice to Management

Learn your products before training new agents. No other company reclaims training cost. Not worth $2500

"Misleading on the work out look don't waste time money or effort to attempt to work for this company"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros to mention nothing nice to say about the company or the management

Cons

Waste of and these people at the company are master's of wasting your time money and gas

Advice to Management

Quit Lying!! To new recruits

5. "Really disappointing! Sales Academy was 4 days of wasted time/money. Time in market is just as bad!"

Former Contractor - Sales Agent in Raleigh, NC
    Former Contractor - Sales Agent in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You can help people if they want it, but no one wants it. That's really all I have to say.

Cons

People look at you and treat you like a sleezeball insurance sales person!

You're an independent contractor but you're treated like an employee. You get no salary, no benefits, no expenses paid, but they want to tell you how to spend your days, how you must work early morning and late nights seeing people at their homes.

Advice to Management

Sales Academy is neither necessary or welcome. You can do that in market. You are not managers, you do not pay salaries, benefits or expenses so stop telling people what they should do.

"Agent"

Pros

I really can't find a pro to pursuing employment with this company

Cons

This company will work you like a slave and turn their back on you as soon as they think you don't benefit them. They don't care about you. This is a scam

Advice to Management

Management? Your joking right?

"Strange company"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Waukesha, WI

Pros

good commission on sales. the product isn't bad. you can take days off to look for a new job.

Cons

training sucks, door to door really really sucks, the whole company is like a cult and they only way i could see this position going well for anyone is if they drink the Kool Aid.
    The product isn't bad but nobody wants to talk about it. It's the age of the internet and everyone wants to look into it more, as they should. I would strongly advise you to look elsewhere for work, there are better jobs in insurance.

Advice to Management

Improve the training. Develop a system that doesn't involve sending someone to a small town with absolutely no info. Work more like a business and not a cult.

"Pyramid Scheme!!!!"

Pros

I really can't say one positive thing about this company, but I had to write a 20 word minimum sentence.

Cons

Forget all these positive comments. These employees have been drinking the juice. I wish I never worked there, I spent more money than I could ever make up. You are sent to truly run down areas in the country and convince unfortunate people they need this product when they really don't. It's truly taking advantage of lower class citizens. You have to check in with your supervisor everyday- EVERDAY- to talk about what you are doing and how your day went. They tell you you can make your own hours and be your own boss, so why do I have to spend a long day after going door-to-door spending it on the phone when I want to go home to my family and get some rest. Also once a month there is a conference in some other city that keeps you away from your family for at least a week. It's very cult-like, and you're a "failure" for not buying into this b.s. They also make a lot of references to God, and I can swear to you that even God would not approve this business. Beware.

"Call Center"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

Hours were flexible for a mom , lunch room was clean and nice. you had your own work space , cubicle. clean environment

Cons

job description did no fit the job . your were titled as a customer service rep , but what you actually had to do was sign people up to attend a webinar to become a licensed insurance agent. Most people are not interested in that , I had many sign up but did not attend the webinar and I was held accountable for that . which is unfair. so i got nicely escorted out and fired

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging and give more on the job training like you said you would

"RUN! FBI, IRS, I CHOOSE YOU!"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative

Pros

Ego stimulation, meet interesting people

Cons

Lots of catch 22, inflated egos. They say "Create your own hours, be your own boss" yet you take orders from a team lead, assistant sales director, and a VP. Arguably the whole thing is an illegal scam. Expect to work 14+ hours a week, horrible product market strategy. Also, they pay for your flight and hotel in Dallas for training, then you pay THEM BACK through your commissions. Then they say "no time limit on paying the balance" but they pressure you to crank a lot in. Also, training was 10-12% actual sales training and administration(such as writing up policies) and the rest was, I am not kidding: motivational speeches.

Advice to Management

Take your product, egos, scam mentality, and shove it. PS: Criminal Justice Majors are the worst kind of recruits for any door to door sales job because we question EVERYTHING.