Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Family Heritage Life Insurance Reviews

Updated March 21, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Great products and great training at (in 10 reviews)

• Ability to grow a business that you have an actual equity stake in, get paid very well and lock in a permanent residual income (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Door to door/B2b sales is a tough gig (in 12 reviews)

• It only benefits a few leaving many of the new hires penniless trying to live on 100% commission (in 8 reviews)

1. "The truth"

Former Contractor - Indep Agent in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Contractor - Indep Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No limit on earnings, get out what you put in, great job for person who does not want a boss!

Cons

Hard core selling, need a thick hide, MUST be self disciplined and self motivated.

Advice to Management

Take these new folks out with your BEST sales folks to see what is possible! More one to one training on developing their sales talk!

"Regional Manager"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Supplemental Plans and training.

Cons

100% commission. Response in the greater Cleveland, OH area is poor to say the least.

"Licenced Insurance Agent"

Former Employee - Licensed Sale Agent in Fredonia, KS
    Former Employee - Licensed Sale Agent in Fredonia, KS

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You're your own boss, you create your own schedule, you make the rules.

Cons

The hiring manager did not explain that this job is 100% commission and that I would have to get licensed before I could even try to make money. Maybe those are a duh to most people, but I had no experience with this field and had no idea what I was signing up for. I also had to pay for my own training and flight there. The training also did not prepare me for the field either.

"Agent"

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Durango, CO
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Durango, CO

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with

Cons

Insurance sales in this economy when people are strapped for cash they drop insurance everytime.

"Family Heritage commission Life"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Family Heritage views its employees as family. There are countless incentives for meeting or exceeding sales quotas. You are given the freedom to run your business that suites your personality while receiving helpful hints and suggestions from directors and coworkers.

Cons

You are expected to build your own business without having a foothold in your local territory. You have to explain the history of the company, the products offered, and the reasons why it would be beneficial for the potential client to sign up to every customer in a cold market. You become accustomed to doing those tasks, but what affects you the most is the commission based pay scale. If your not generating sales on a daily basis then you're not making any money. The lack of base pay and the commitment of 50 hour plus work weeks makes being a permanent member of Family Heritage unappealing. If you like commission sales it's great fit for you, if you want more of a structured pay scale then it definitely is not.

"Great place to start"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will get as much support as you want

Cons

The contracts are not in favor of the sales professional. You will need to mass recruit to make it here.

Advice to Management

Give better contracts to your loyal agents, not to people that quit and come back.

8. "Work, Work, Play"

Current Contractor - Agent/Recruit in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Contractor - Agent/Recruit in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Own your own business, Help people, leadership and management opportunities, unlimited income, incentive trips, awesome training, fun people to work with

Cons

Commission only compensation, Takes an owners mentality, A lot of pressure to sell to make a living.

Advice to Management

consider coming into the 21st century where customers are buying insurance online

"Good for the right person"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Toledo, OH

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program. Managers are very helpful, and want to see you succeed. Mine even gave me a gas card when I was having trouble closing my first sale so that I could continue to work. High commissions, and you receive residuals whether you're still with the company or not. Most importantly, the product you are selling truly is great, and I still believe everyone should have it.

Cons

Door to door sales are HARD. All cold calling to start with. Most people don't want to make big decisions like this on the spot without doing their own research first.

Advice to Management

Its the age of internet. I think if the sales agents could direct their leads to a website where they could sign up after they've had time to think about it you would get more sales. I know I don't shell out money without doing internet research.

"A great salary if you are prepared to sacrifice your personal life"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good commission with lots of incentive trips, residual income and bonuses. If you are willing to work long, unsociable hours and travel long distances, then the pay can be fantastic.

Cons

Limited leadership, however this varies from group to group. 100% commission means if you are snowed in, stuck in a thunder storm or sick - you do not get paid. You are expected to find and pay for your own medical benefits. You have to travel hundreds of miles a week and stay away from your family for one week a month on a trainmore which you have to fund entirely but do end up making more money than a normal week. You are in debt to the company 2-3 years before receiving residuals.

Advice to Management

Treat agents as individuals and more than just a number.

"Completely Neutral"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Atlanta, GA

Pros

You do have the opportunity to make a lot of money. It's strength in numbers the more see a day the more opportunities you will have to sale.

Cons

You have to invest a lot of time into this career. You will not sale 50% of the time like they say you would. 6 Demos a day will not cut it, you will have to aim for more.

Advice to Management

Tell new recruits the truth. Omitting information to them is still lying.