Family Preservation Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Roeathea Butler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • For a mental health support role, very low relative stress & taking work home (in 5 reviews)

• Great opportunity to get experience in the counseling field and work directly with clients (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Organization, Low pay, work/life balance is hard (in 9 reviews)

• Uncooperative with a huge amount of work performed at home (which you are not compensated for) (in 3 reviews)

1. "Mental Health Skills Building Program"

I worked at Family Preservation Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment
    Knowledgeable and supportive supervisors/program directors
    Focused on bettering people's lives and not just on profit
    Opportunity to work in different programs and gain skills advancement

Cons

Low salary
    Have to use personal vehicle with low mileage reimbursement
    Often understaffed causing employees to be overworked
    Small company, so there isn't a lot of opportunity for advancement

2. "ACTT RN: don't take it in Hendersonville NC"

Former Employee - ACTT RN in Hendersonville, NC
    Former Employee - ACTT RN in Hendersonville, NC

I worked at Family Preservation Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with ACTT team who were excellent professionals. Autonomy and flexibility with scheduling.

Cons

Outdated computer hardware and EMR; different systems used by MD's/PA's/RN that don't allow RN's to assess for interactions or side effects with prescriptions (RN's MARS were completed on Excel spreadsheets!). All record keeping is still manual (counting each rx after dosing qwk) ; time consuming. This company's RD stated "We aren't a Medical Model"- we are MD's and nurses assessing/diagnosing/implementing interventions and administering medications. If that isn't a medical model I don't know what is?? Geography is not added into equation for ACTT model that mandates 90 clients dictates 3 nurses; nurses are extremely busy--always staying late to get it all done/chart/file/complete orders at the end of each day. Management is not in touch with the reality of the ACTT team. Management's core values say all of the right things but are not put into practice in reality.

Advice to Management

Invest in EMR, reconfigure ACTT model to include geography/commute times and stafff appropriately. Realize ACTT team & it's practioners ARE a medical model and allow them to work and staff accordingly i.e --safely.

3. "Supportive co-workers"

Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor
    Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor

I worked at Family Preservation Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers, depending on the position there is a good work life balance, intense training upon hire, working with client

Cons

No communication/transparency with upper management; for direct care position pay structure can be challenging during slow periods.

Advice to Management

More support and open channels of communication for direct care workers. More training opportunities after hire

4. "Poorly managed program"

Former Employee - In-home Counselor in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - In-home Counselor in Fredericksburg, VA

Pros

Offers positions that allow professionals to help people in need of mental health services in the community.

Cons

Poor pay, poor training, and a generally unsupportive work environment with poor follow-through from administrators and peers. Sink-or-swim attitude with a tendency to blame employees for administrative problems. Disorganized, inconsistent, with recurring changes to management and procedures that appear to leave administrators unaware of basic procedures. Poorly managed client cases, with client dissatisfaction. Unprofessional environment marked by a tendency to gossip about current/former employees and frequent reports suggesting a history of problems in the office.

Advice to Management

Nothing that the management hasn't already heard.

5. "Ehhhh...."

I worked at Family Preservation Services full-time

Pros

Great training
    Great pay

Cons

Not aware of the law

Advice to Management

Refer to ADA and other laws and regulatory statutes.

6. "Counselor"

Current Employee - Counselor in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Family Preservation Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent management! Fantastic benefits package and vacation/leave time. Competitive salary! Very supportive co-workers and a positive work environment. Strong ethical foundation!

Cons

I cannot think of any cons!

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "Good employees, poorly managed"

Current Employee - Intensive In-Home Team in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Intensive In-Home Team in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Family Preservation Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the other people that I work with. They are passionate about serving our community and helping the families that we work with! I also enjoy the flexibility that my position has, as I have the freedom to schedule with my clients individually.

Cons

The pay and benefits are poor for the expectations and stress level of the position. Management of the company is poor and extremely disorganized. The company is behind technologically and this often interferes with my job and creates additional unnecessary work. Health insurance benefits are terrible if you aren't a single person (premium for me and my spouse would be $570/month-$90 for single). I also have concerns about the financial stability of the company in general.

8. "Run the other way"

Former Employee - Intensive In-Home Team Lead in Columbus, NC
    Former Employee - Intensive In-Home Team Lead in Columbus, NC

I worked at Family Preservation Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team leads are given the opportunity to make a decent amount of money.

Cons

Extremely poor leadership. Supervisors are rude, inexperienced, unprofessional, and punative. As a fully licensed masters level therapist, I never expected to be micro-managed and given so many unnecessary "tracking assignments." There is a lack of benefits, unfair reimbursement for milage, no reimbursement for supplies/random expenses encountered in the field. Licensed therapists are basically on call 24/7, supervisors are always MIA and impossible to track down when in need.

Advice to Management

Hoping that this company sees the light and fires all supervisors and clinical directors in this region, they are literally chasing out employees.

9. "TDT Counselor"

Current Employee - TDT Counselor in Farmville, VA
    Current Employee - TDT Counselor in Farmville, VA

I have been working at Family Preservation Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

salary-used to be hourly only, time off such as spring break and Christmas break

Cons

pay not enough for level of experience

10. "Counselor"

Current Employee - Counselor in Roanoke, VA

Pros

Vacation, Holidays, Some good training opportunities

Cons

Organization, Low pay, work/life balance is hard

Advice to Management

I feel like the caring for your employee's and clients is definitely there but I wish there was more directness in management style. Also providing opportunities for employees to earn pay increases would be helpful and boost morale. Overall this is a good starting company but not a place I can see many people making a career out of.