Family Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 3, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Keith Hoogland

Pros
  • You get free movie rentals, half off games and Marco's pizza (in 71 reviews)

• Free movies the week before their release date (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Easily in store for 12 hours by myself with no breaks (in 113 reviews)

• Sometime upper management does not do their job and you can be on your own solving problems (in 55 reviews)

"Absolutely moronic"

Former Employee - Video Clerk in Webb City, MO
    Former Employee - Video Clerk in Webb City, MO

I worked at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy gig, no mental work required, nice way to make extra cash, good part time job.

Cons

Everything. Weird scheduling, low pay, dated rules and business plan. Hulu, Amazon prime, Netflix, YouTube --- all have the upper hand and the reason why this is an antiquated business model ready to blow out at any moment. I asked my interviewer about this and she went into political mode and babbling about human contact, one on one interaction. Dumb

Advice to Management

Hire on life experiences and solid resume. Don't worry about the stupid math quiz. The damn quiz is harder than any college course. You run off good people in trying to find smart people. Loosen up, be humans, not robots.

"Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Belleville, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Belleville, IL

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They rent movies and games

Cons

They will not let you take breaks during your shift, not even bathroom breaks

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to take their state mandated breaks

"Good job if you like to feel used, get no breaks and work off the clock"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moore, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moore, OK

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get digital codes with the new releases that come in. You also get to prestreet movies.

Cons

I was offered the assistant manager position about 5 months into my tenure there. After I said yes, they fired the store manager and made me run the store, while I was still getting paid a regular associates salary, until they found a replacement, which took months. Once they found a replacement, who was also running another store, they rescinded the offer for me to be assistant manager. I found a new job immediately.

Employees are constantly over worked because of the ridiculous labor system. You get no breaks. They make you drive to the bank and to the post office off the clock. Would not recommend working here. If you do, best people would be limited part time while you're in school or something. Still wouldn't recommend working at family video.

Advice to Management

Actually support your managers. Way too much work is put on them for such little pay. Fix the labor system. Give employees breaks. Act like you care at all about your employees. Most importantly, be true to your word. You'll lose every good employee you have if they were treated like me. I was (foolishly) very loyal to the company and that was not reciprocated.

4. "Not all it cracked up to be"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company standards and the foundation for which they have built their business is excellent.

Cons

There is not enough diversity, which causes a lot of tension among management and subordinates.

Advice to Management

Please be open to ALL employees possibly making it to the MIT program. Do not play favoritism it causes animosity and just plain bad feelings all around.

"Not a family"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisonville, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisonville, MO

I worked at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly positive interactions with customers. Builds confidence towards working alone and making independent decisions. Free movie rentals. Flexible hours. Chance to watch pre streets free.

Cons

Inconsistent schedule. Often not put on the schedule due to training or lack of business. Complain about lack of employees but do not use employees available to them. Constantly being called and told there was no need to come in when during interview I was told they could get me the hours I needed. Having to consistently do the job of others when I was expressly told it should not happen (i.e. putting away a previous shifts returned movies or doing tasks specifically given to the previous shift). When brought up to management I was told there was little that could be done. Being very inconsistently trained (being told I can tell an unruly customer that I do not have to serve them and that they have to leave BY a person in MANAGEMENT and being told by another in MANAGEMENT that that can not happen). Having an employee in management come into the store dressed for summer, off the clock, handling money and giving away free movies while her friend makes a prank call on the company phone; which later resulted in a complaint from that employee and a customer complaint assumably from that friend. When brought up to management they seemed understanding and said it happened a lot. That employee still works at the store and is still in management. Another complaint was made over a very minor incident in which the customer was still apologized to and still given the accommodations that they were due and overall handled in a satisfactory manner. The complaint from the company that got me 'let go' was something more fitting to a correction. They claim to be understanding of mistakes and willing to train you to company standards but given the first opportunity fired me. Again, inconsistent. I am not a disgruntled employee but in no way do I believe I was treated fairly or justly, especially in light of other more pressing issues. I was looking forward to growth but was given letdown.

Advice to Management

I was 'let go' from a maybe 5 hour a week 'part time' job but still eligible for rehire and my reasons for being let go will not go on my record or affect my rehire. Then why was I not simply corrected? Why was I legitimately fired? Why is an individual who constantly talks down on upper management and other employees and who makes her own rules and breaks company rules she knows she should not still allowed to be in a position of management? How is that, when I mention several times an employees bad attitude towards myself and customers, nothing is done? How does that employee not have customer complaints? My advice to management? Quit sacrificing quality employees for meager reasons. Hold true to your mission of assisting employees in their personal growth and growth in the company. Quit using scapegoats.

"Pretty Silly"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Family Video part-time

Pros

There are no real pros to this job. Perhaps the half off video rentals. Customers are somewhat pleasant.

Cons

Too many rules for a minimum wage job. Managers take themselves way too seriously, you'd think they were brain surgeons saving lives. More time spent trying to find mistakes in employees than helping the customer. Many of your shifts are "on call", for example you're on the schedule at 6 pm, but you don't know if you're going in until YOU call them around 5:30 to ask. Micro-Managing through the roof. I can guarantee Family Video will be no more within five years.

Advice to Management

A total paradigm shift is needed here. The rules and expectations you require for this minimum wage job is laughable. Forget all the pages of memorization, lose the strict dress code, and re-evaluate all these smug 21 year old managers who take themselves too seriously. You're not going to save this company by treating it like military basic training.

"Horrible Experience!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Celina, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Celina, OH

I worked at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No Pros to this job

Cons

The one who hires was very rude. The Celina store has always had a high turnover rate with employees and now I see why! You have very minimal training and are expected to open and close by yourself without training to do so! For a part time job making $8 an hr to be treated unfair isn't worth it. Unless your willing to be treated like a slave and treat her like some royalty... I'd stay clear of any of the stores she oversees! (And there are many in Ohio!)

Advice to Management

I'd recommend more training to new hires. You can't expect people to learn your registers, to do list, all your promos/ packages, and the floor in 8hrs training. I worked short shifts and was sent home early, then after a few days of "training" I was told I would be closing the store.. On my own, on a Saturday night and had never worked a night shift. I was told "your an adult" you will figure it out. Horrible place to work.

"Manager in Training"

Former Employee - MIT in Huntington, IN
    Former Employee - MIT in Huntington, IN

I worked at Family Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's not easy to get a job there, so you end up not having to work with a bunch of knuckle heads. It's nice getting free rentals, and the commission side is rewarding for the little amount of work it is.

Cons

The district and regional management are pure garbage. I was hired to take over a store so that a new one in a neighboring town could be taken over by the current manager of my store. However, it was a scam from the beginning. I was really just hired to go through training and babysit my store while the new one could be established and get running. Then, they fired me and gave the original manager management over both stores. Once everything transpired, it was easy to see how the whole process was planned from the beginning. Don't get a job here, at least not in the greater Fort Wayne, Indiana, area.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the business practices your middle management has put in place. There's nothing "family" about railroading someone who left a good job to join your company.

"Management expectations with entry-level pay."

Former Employee - Associate in Salem, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Salem, IL

I worked at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the providing customer service and achieving top sales in my district. There is a strong since of empowerment as you may be the only person running the store during your shift.

Cons

While management says the customer service and sales are number one, that wasn't the whole truth. They have daily tasks that need to be done which get in the way of customer service and thus sales. I work dayshift which meant that I work 90% by myself. I was given approximately five hours of training at the register my first week. Then I was expected to open the store and run it 6-8 hours daily by myself. I continued training myself by trial and error and called other stores when I could.
    The daily inventory tasks that are expected to get done we're too extensive! Especially after having zero training on them. And with no other help during my shift.
    With such small staffing numbers at each store, you are expected to call other stores when you can't resolve scheduling conflicts in your store. If another store called you and you didn't help accommodate their scheduling needs, you were looked at as a poor team player. But, you were given no travel pay even when stores or 45 minutes away.
    The store manager seemed overworked and stressed. She also had limited time to get an extensive amount of weekly tasks completed and often came in after hours, off the clock to complete them.
    The district manager came to the store a couple times a month. It seemed everyone was intimidated and worked on pins and needles. They gave very little interaction and was not personable with the staff.

Advice to Management

Work with your staff to develop a team environment where they are allowed to train support and motivate each other.

"Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free rentals
    Great customers
    Empowerment

Cons

No breaks
    Favoritism
    Disrespect from upper management
    Unfair treatment

Advice to Management

Management staged false situations to remove me from the store to make room for a new manager.
    The only way to advance in this company to "get rid" of someone else