Family Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Family Video Reviews

5.0
Keith Hoogland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get free movie rentals, half off games and Marco's pizza (in 72 reviews)

• Free movies the week before their release date (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks even bathroom breaks while working extremely long shifts (in 115 reviews)

• Sometime upper management does not do their job and you can be on your own solving problems (in 56 reviews)

1. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Monett, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Monett, MO

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to move up fairly quickly in company. The feel of a mom & pop business, but the security of corporate backing you up.

Cons

The staff of a mom & pop business, small staffs can lead to short handedness. However we are always hiring, so it never lasts long.

2. "district"

I have been working at Family Video full-time

Pros

make own schedule, love people you work with

Cons

very demanding, long shifts, fluctuation in pay.

Advice to Management

stop basing so much on commission based pay.

3. "Associate"

I have been working at Family Video part-time

Pros

Flexible Hours and Friendly atmosphere

Cons

On Feet during whole shift

4. "Family Video"

I have been working at Family Video part-time

Pros

Great customers, friendly environment, commission and hourly

Cons

Not a lot of hours

Advice to Management

Have more full time employees

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Saint Clair, MI
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Saint Clair, MI

Pros

Commission was a huge bonus, as well as great people to work with. Great work environment.

Cons

There is not much room for growth in the company. The job does not pay well, not only for part time help but for management either.

Advice to Management

Always try to innovate. You do not have to let the company die slowly. Play to your strengths and keep up the good work.

6. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Able to make your own schedule

Cons

Have to work 3 out of 4 weekends

Advice to Management

Always train new employees

7. "Best out of highschool job anyone could ask for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood River, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood River, IL

I have been working at Family Video (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely fun if you enjoy working with the public (and enjoy movies)

My store allows unlimited free rentals to employees as well as half price pizza at marcos

Higher ups are for the most part lovely to work for and appreciate hard working employees, quick to give an increase in pay for those who go above and beyond

THE CUSTOMERS ARE AMAZING. I have never met as many truly caring people. Take good care of them and they will take good care of you.

Competitive hours (a con if you are a bad sales person) our store ranks empolyees' payroll distribution by their sales percentage, I find it quite easy to stay on top and get ~25 hours, bottom of the totem pole often gets less than ten.

COMISSION! Another leg up for the natural sales person, you WILL make more money due to the continuous loop of high sales, more hours, more opportunities to make more commission

No clocking out for breaks- others call this a con because you dont get a designated clock out but I prefer it this way, if i need to take a moment to myself or leave to get food i have never been denied therefore basically paid breaks.

You get to play movies on the tvs in store during alotted times of the day

Working with movies and games is a million times more fulfilling than flipping burgers, especially when you are young and inexperienced.

My number one favorite part of working for this company is that we are the underdog! I love reminding my customers every day that the experience of old school customer service and the tangible nostalgia of browsing a video store will continue to be our main product. If I simply hand people their movie with no emotion, I am doing no better than the redbox vending machine outside walgreens. Of course I have other responsibilities within the store but my number one goal each day is to take every single customer back to a simpler time when choosing your movie was just as much fun as watching it.

Cons

I struggle to think of any, but as an opener/closer I often work alone since the store isnt all that busy at 10 am or midnight.

Also the computer system is wayyy outdated and impossible to pick up on in a single day, you will lose sleep over those darn function keys.

Advice to Management

My manager is the best human in general i have ever worked with, she would do anything in the world for us because she knows her whole staff would return the favor. Other stores get complaints about management but I say you get out what you put in. If you mope around or dont care newsflash- no manager anywhere is really going to want you to be in their staff.

8. "Multi-Store Manager"

Current Employee - Multi Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Multi Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun place to work! If your looking for a place to support your family you need to be in management. If not it's really a great place for college and high school kids to work

Cons

The cap on pay. Been With The company 6 years and was told I'm capped out and cannot make more money. Not very motivating. And not willing to promote vetran Managers. Would rather pull from another region to promote.

Advice to Management

To not make false promises to Veteran managers. And to rethink their pay level. The company is doing well, so it's hard to continue to do great when their is no more of an incentive.

9. "Customer Service Representative"

I worked at Family Video (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere, care for employees, good management team, decent benefits, flexible scheduling, a lot of career advancement vertically within the company, always looking to change the business for the good, EXPANSIVE BUSINESS!

Cons

Always open when other businesses are typically closed (even on the biggest of holidays including Christmas for example) so you may get stuck working on some of these days.

Advice to Management

Enhance technology for more efficiency and offerings to customers. Internal systems are antiquated and a lot of work is done on paper.

10. "great work"

I worked at Family Video full-time

Pros

great works lots of fun easy

Cons

easy ard to get good even though

Advice to Management

NA