Family Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Family Video Reviews

Updated October 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free movie rentals before they come out (in 75 reviews)

• Commission on sales, fun work environment, opportunities to advance in the company, "pre-street" videos (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • No breaks even bathroom breaks while working extremely long shifts (in 121 reviews)

• Sometime upper management does not do their job and you can be on your own solving problems (in 58 reviews)

1. "Customer Service"

I have been working at Family Video part-time

Pros

Absolutely love Family Video! The atmosphere, co-workers, very fun job! They are very involved with charity and community. Good perks.

Cons

The pay could be better.

2. "Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to build your own staff and coach them directly, create your own schedule, the feel of ownership of in the store your managing, employee empowerment, decent health benefits, get to see all of the new movies before they hit the shelf.

Cons

Horrible work life-balance, long hours, required weekend and closing shifts, open on holidays, work mostly by yourself all day long with no breaks, pay doesn't fit the work you do. Overworked, underpaid, under appreciated!

Advice to Management

If you want to keep solid management you cannot cap their salaries, in addition to requiring strict hour requirements while their bonuses are slowly dwindling.

3. "I worked at Family Video for 2.5 years"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverside, Hamilton, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverside, Hamilton, OH

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Watching movies before they are released
    -Awesome coworkers
    -Commission

Cons

- You will never get a raise after your 30 days as a sales rep
    - You will most likely be by yourself every shift except Friday and Saturday nights
    - Higher management doesn't care about your concerns with deserving a raise, they tell you to look at you commission as your raise
    - Nothing is done about sexual harrassment or harrassment in general by customers

Advice to Management

Make yout employees feel important and work with them about there concerns

4. "They got greedy"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work when Charlie was still in charge.

Cons

Once Charlie retired, everything changed. Christmas bonuses (mine used to be $700) disappeared. Insurance costs went up. Labor got cut. Also, the place was a breeding ground for discrimination and sexual harassment. We didn't even have a handicap-friendly public restroom because they were too cheap to buy the right toilet. If something in the store breaks, better get your tool belt out. They won't pay for repairs or maintenance unless you get three estimates (for free) and a DM approves the cost. As a manager, I had to recruit family and friends to come fix things for free. I painted the stripes in the parking lot. I repaired the toilet when it broke. I painted. I maintained the landscaping. The only reason I didn't have to mow the lot myself was because we had over an acre of property. We were lucky to hire someone to mow. Smaller FV properties were instructed by an office memo to buy a mower at a garage sale and mow it themselves. I worked there 13 years and got my last raise about halfway through, even though I was promoted within that period.

5. "Waste of time"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only pro is free movie rentals. Other than that, don't waste your time. There is so much better out there!

Cons

Long hours, no breaks, low pay with very high expectations. They will work the managers 60 hrs a week and then when they get burned out let them go.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate everything!

6. "Some good, mostly bad"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Family Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free rentals for managers, half off rentals for part timers. Commission from upselling. Decent amount of personal days after first year for managers. Flexible schedule, willing to work around work or school schedules.

Cons

Terrible benefits, no hours for part-timers. We always take applications and claim we are always hiring even though that's not the case. They often over-hire to the point where reliable awesome employees are getting as low as 5-10 hours a week because they make us hire people we don't need. We then lose said awesome employees to other jobs. We then have to repeatedly train new people with minimally allocated training hours. Low pay for what is expected of management. I am an assistant manager, running the store because the manager is a dual-store manager and is only at our store 1-3 days a week, so I am essentially managing the store (submitting payroll, doing manager-assigned inventories, handling scheduling issues, ordering store supplies, and going to Walmart for paper towels/toilet paper etc, doing movie buys, things generally assigned to the store manager who is salaried). I was hired directly to the assistant manager position 2 years ago at $1 above minimum wage and have not received a raise yet. I just informed my DM about my need for a raise a week ago to which they said they would consult with the RM. I bust my butt for this place and don't get the respect I deserve. I have even inquired about moving up to store manager when there were 2 separate openings available and was overlooked for both. Obviously they are confident in my ability to run a store as that is what I am essentially already doing, they just don't want to give me the pay raise and title to go along with it. I have been actively seeking other employment opportunities for a while and will leave as soon as something better comes along.

Advice to Management

Learn when you have a good crew of employees and keep it that way instead of running them out with low hours and poor treatment. Would be great if they learned to respect their employees.

"Horrible pay, horrible training."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bedford, TX

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a place where if you work there you can rent cheap movies at half price. No responsibility is asked of you in doing your daily duties.

Cons

Store managers put the entire staffs work load on the one employee that enjoys being productive at work. Employees call out sick 5 minutes after they were supposed to be there, with no replacement searched for. If scheduled a 10 hour or even longer shift, there is no breaks. No lunch break, no sit down for a minute. No travel compensation offered for 4 bank trips weekly, nor for the mailed off movie drops to a post office multiple times weekly.

Advice to Management

Training program needs to be company wide the same. Not varying from store to store. & the employees that do work hard should get a pat on the back every so often, the employees that cause excessively more work for others should be retrained properly.

"Laid back gig with little pay"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Once you learn the ropes, it's not too bad. Store manager is cool as well as the staff. You get to watch and talk about movies, and employee rentals are free.

Cons

You get paid just above minimum wage. Don't expect a lot of hours, especially when you start. The interview process is ridiculously intense for such an inconsequential position. Bone up on your advanced algebra skills if you hope to pass the aptitude test. The higher ups were jerks. Certain customers are rude, others are creepy, and some are just downright bizarre. Perhaps the insane are drawn to businesses hurtling toward obsolescence like family video.

Advice to Management

Start looking for another job. You're on a sinking ship. Ain't you ever heard of Netflix? What's wrong with you?

9. "Decent Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Family Video part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to watch movies a couple days before they are released every Tuesday.

Cons

You work by yourself most of the time. Upper management doesn't seem to care to keep you as an employee. We go through a lot of co-workers.

Advice to Management

Hire an extra person or two per district/region so your employees can get more attention. There wouldn't be so many problems if we had more time with upper management.

10. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

making your own schedule, paid holidays, getting to rent movies before they are released

Cons

you're expected to work off the clock but not say anything, responsible for all store issues ex:parking lot issues, snow removal, lawn care, property management if you have a lease space, all while working by YOURSELF. They cut your payroll down to next to nothing 94-96%, no lunch breaks, bathroom breaks..nothing.