Family Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Family Video Reviews

Updated June 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You get free movie rentals, half off games and Marco's pizza (in 71 reviews)

• Free movies the week before their release date (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Easily in store for 12 hours by myself with no breaks (in 113 reviews)

• Sometime upper management does not do their job and you can be on your own solving problems (in 55 reviews)

"Good job if you like to feel used, get no breaks and work off the clock"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moore, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moore, OK

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get digital codes with the new releases that come in. You also get to prestreet movies.

Cons

I was offered the assistant manager position about 5 months into my tenure there. After I said yes, they fired the store manager and made me run the store, while I was still getting paid a regular associates salary, until they found a replacement, which took months. Once they found a replacement, who was also running another store, they rescinded the offer for me to be assistant manager. I found a new job immediately.

Employees are constantly over worked because of the ridiculous labor system. You get no breaks. They make you drive to the bank and to the post office off the clock. Would not recommend working here. If you do, best people would be limited part time while you're in school or something. Still wouldn't recommend working at family video.

Advice to Management

Actually support your managers. Way too much work is put on them for such little pay. Fix the labor system. Give employees breaks. Act like you care at all about your employees. Most importantly, be true to your word. You'll lose every good employee you have if they were treated like me. I was (foolishly) very loyal to the company and that was not reciprocated.

2. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Erie, PA

I worked at Family Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to help grassroots causes in local area, make store your own by decorations and scheduling, fun environment.

Cons

Movie buys at midnight, unrealistic goals to beat previous years numbers in an industry that is dying.

3. "Pleasant, but...."

Former Employee - Indiana in South Bend, WA
    Former Employee - Indiana in South Bend, WA

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, minimal work load

Cons

Alone, no private breaks, adult only section

Advice to Management

No one person staff, especially after normal hours. I would have rally liked this job, but working alone is a huge safety issue, especially when there is a strictly adult section in the store that is behind "closed" doors. Too many opportunities for something to happen to your staff. Eating in front of customers since there is no break room is unprofessional, no matter how casual the company wants to make it..all customers see is staff being unprofessional while.smelling staffs taco.

4. "Dont work here unless you like long late hours and being on your feet."

Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training) in Florissant, MO
    Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training) in Florissant, MO

Pros

Free movie rentals is about the best thing about this company. Customers get to know you after a while and that is also fun.

Cons

when I started working for Family Video I had high expectations, but it wasn't long before I saw the flaws in the company. Each store is managed by a store manager, district manager, and regional manager. I started employment as a full-time Manager in Training, with hopes of becoming a store manager within a couple of months. Initially things started off well although I was immediately thrown into the fire after a few days of training. A few weeks went by and I had finally gotten used to the computer system, but I was constantly coming up short on sales. (This is also a sales position in case your were wondering). Anyway as the weeks went by, I noticed that I wasn't getting trained in management at all and every time I inquired about it I was brushed off and told to ask someone else. Before you can be considered to manage your own store, you have to be evaluated by District and Regional manager. I must of picked a heck of a time to start working because when it came time for my evaluation, I was no more knowledgeable about managing a store than I was in the week I first started. I later found out that the district manager that my store was under was leaving the company and taking another job. My evaluation took place about a week later with the regional manager and the store manager where I was working. 360 evaluations had been done on me a month previous and all the employees I worked with stated that I was "too quiet". Aside from the fact that at the time of the evaluations I had barely worked with any of the other employees, the store manager threw me under the bus and told me that I blended in too much with the other employees. With this, I was not offered the position as store manager due to the fact that I did not fit the personality.

Advice to Management

It amazes me that the appearances that must be maintained at the individual stores do not reflect the management of the company. Management is in its tight knit group, not knowing or caring about the employees on the lower levels. In a company like this, employee satisfaction should come before customers satisfaction. The happier your employees are, the harder they will work towards making customers happy. To me, working at Family Video was an illusion of happiness.

"Pay Sucks but Commission Can Help"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Family Video (Less than a year)

Pros

-Staff Personability
    -Easy Work
    -Quick to Pick Up
    -Regulars Make it Worth it
    -Schedule Flexibility
    -Obtainable Hours from Other Stores

Cons

-Hours aren't guaranteed
    -You're "On Call" for the ENTIRE Scheduled On Call Period
    -No Breaks
    -Strict No Tattoo/Piercing policy
    -Often Managing Store Alone
    -Pay is Lowest they can Legally Pay You

Advice to Management

Invest in Your Employees!! You'd retain a lot of people and get better reviews. I'm at a solid 3. It's a very average job and I'd quit if I found something else.

6. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Family Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Empowerment, always something to do, chance to earn commission, flexible hours, manager is easy to work with.

Cons

hours are based off of sales, sometimes there is too much to do in one day, pay is not worth the work load.

Advice to Management

make sure everyone knows how to do the things that is expected of them before expecting them to do it.

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allen, TX

I worked at Family Video (Less than a year)

Pros

Cheap, sometimes free movies- benefit for a movie buff.

Cons

Not enough hours. Not enough pay. No breaks. They string you along and don't tell you that these things until after starting.

8. "Great Company with Great Values!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fulton, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fulton, NY

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every employee has the ability to make decisions without consulting management. If you want to give someone a discount, you can. If you want to remove a late fee, you can. If you want to give out a free movie, you can. It's a great feeling to be trusted, and it makes the customers feel valued as well. I was very impressed with this when joining the team.

Cons

The test to join the company was actually pretty difficult. It reminded be a bit of the SAT's. It took ~2 hours to complete and had various different sections including math, spelling, word comprehension, etc. Although it was tough, it helped to weed out unqualified employees, which resulted in the workforce being very capable.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

9. "Not all it cracked up to be"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company standards and the foundation for which they have built their business is excellent.

Cons

There is not enough diversity, which causes a lot of tension among management and subordinates.

Advice to Management

Please be open to ALL employees possibly making it to the MIT program. Do not play favoritism it causes animosity and just plain bad feelings all around.

10. "Good temporary job"

Former Employee - Part-Time in Coldwater, MI
    Former Employee - Part-Time in Coldwater, MI

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is huge on employee empowerment, and wants you to do your best to help the customer right then and there, without needing to get the permission of a manager. You can make small commissions by up-selling too.

Cons

The schedule you work is different every week, which makes it hard to make plans too far in advance. The pay is also not very competitive.