Fanatics Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fanatics CEO Doug Mack
Doug Mack

Pros
  • Dress code; Most of the employees are great to work with (in 28 reviews)

• The opportunity to really take care of customer needs, casual dress, (in 19 reviews)

Cons

"This where your dreams come to die"

Current Employee - Administrative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fanatics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay you and let you go home at the end of the day.

Cons

Where to start....
    Unprofessional behavior by managers.
    Power plays.
    Job responsibilities are stripped after they are earned to get out of increasing your pay
    Unnecessary processes are changed on a weekly basis, delaying progress and you are at fault for not keeping up.
    Managers can be vindictive and berating to employees.
    You will be afraid to ask managers about what is going on in the company out of fear of losing your job.
    You will be hired on as seasonal and kept that way for at least a year so they can get out of paying you for benefits and Paid time off. Oh, and then you may get let go and called back months later to return to a fresh new hell.
    Favoritism is rampant.
    You are policed even on your breaks by circling managers.
    Micromanaged and knit picked to no end.
    Yearly and Quarterly evaluations are a farce if and when they do happen.
    You will in no way be properly compensated compared to others in the rest of the work force.
    There is vague and limited communication from upper management, asking too many questions can lead to negative feed back and possibly loss of employment.

Advice to Management

Try to remember what it's like to be human as you peel off your person suit at the end of the day and return to hell. We don't make nearly as much as you but work just as hard if not harder.

"Assistant Buyer"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fanatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are good, casual dress code

Cons

The culture is awful. I was led to believe this would be a hardworking, professional yet laid back, development building atmosphere. Nothing I was told is correct and I regret getting involved with this company. It's a slow unwind/reveal as you start to see things how really are. I loved it when I first started and now I couldn't get out fast enough.

If you have been in any other reputable company, you know that most companies are decently hard to get into. The Assistants are all experienced, mid-late twenties, and it usually takes a while to move up. They typically develop you and help you to be an educated worker with moral characteristics.

Here, the Assistants have no qualifications and are taken right out of college. Most of this being their first job in their lives or they come from wealthy families who paid their way to a big city with an internship from a friend. It breeds a very cut throat environment where you BS your way to the top because nobody really has much talent to show. I have had people sabotage me and make up things up to smear my image. It's really ridiculous that this is a "professional environment".

To me, this felt way more dramatic, immature, and mean spirited than my high school or any other experience ever did. It's really difficult knowing that nobody has your back in development and everyone just wants to trash you or use you. That's not the people or place I want to surround myself with. The ones who are normal talented individuals are currently looking for other jobs.

The Buyers also spend most of their days talking bad about one another. There is a clear sense of arrogance from everyone, which is interesting because there isn't much experience outside of this company to back that up. Nobody treats anyone with respect and the leaders have no idea what actually goes on behind closed doors. It's a chaotic mess.

The systems are out of date and the processes are all over the place. It seems like everyone just does whatever they want. There really aren't many rules and everyone thinks their way is the best. 0 open mindedness. Nobody really cares about your development and they talk down to you instead of helping you. Just like a prior reviewer mentioned, I've never felt so put down and insulted in my life.

My last team had graduates from Duke, Harvard, etc. and they were the most humble people I have ever met. It's ironic to me that this group of people are the least educated with the least amount experience and are by far the most arrogant group I have ever seen.

Last thing, they tell you that work/life balance is great, which it is for the DMMs. Some Buyers don't ever leave their desks, work through work events, and constantly work from home on the weekends. Whatever buyer you have will force that ethic on you, so don't always believe you will get a great work/life balance. This is all they know and all they live for. After all, no other company would put up with them so they have to do their best here.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing a culture like this. I currently know 4 Assistant Buyers who are looking for other jobs. You are pushing out the talent and keeping the ones that display characteristics of the above.

Push character and morals above all.

"Fanatics"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fanatics (More than 3 years)

Pros

Comfortable atmosphere, Laid back, Casual dress

Cons

Management is not sympathetic to the employees. Management is never on the side of the employee.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees.

"Old Navy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frazeysburg, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frazeysburg, OH

I worked at Fanatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hourly associates - the full-time crew is solid. Sports is always a fun thing to work around so there is that.

Cons

No labor to pull from out in the middle of Muskingum County - Management more concerned with where they came from than where they can take the company.

Advice to Management

Look for your souls first of all - don't cut your best resources that can help you achieve your daily/seasonal goals.

"Flavor of the day"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fanatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dress code, that's it.

Cons

Horrible management with 2 sets of rules. One for those they like and for those they don't. Problem is the have lost some very loyal associates.

Advice to Management

Get involved more with day to day in FL not in CA.

"Fraud Analyst"

Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Fraud Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fanatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was no dress code and bagels on Friday.

Cons

They took all personal absences that were excused and used them against you to terminate. Seems to me this is underhanded.

Advice to Management

Consistency. Procedure. 2 things that dont exist unless you go on a never ending medical leave. Only then can you guarentee you will keep your job. High turn over all over.

"What a waste for a company that used to be great"

Former Employee - .NET Developer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - .NET Developer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fanatics (More than 3 years)

Pros

Jeans everyday and bagels on Friday

Cons

Wow has this company changed and not for the better, what used to be a company that cared about its employees is now a company the lies, cheats and steals to people. The future of the company is San Francisco, and how to be the next Silicon Valley Company. They will lie to your face. They let VP's and Directors treat people with little or no respect. The HR team is a joke, talk about gossiping, they are the poster children for how not to act. VP's and directors are never there when needed, and instead of fixing problems they always want to point fingers and place blame. They promote drinking on property - that might be a plus for some

Advice to Management

The sooner you get out of Jacksonville the better for Jacksonville

"No good"

Former Employee - Picker/Packer in Frazeysburg, OH
    Former Employee - Picker/Packer in Frazeysburg, OH

I worked at Fanatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was okay until you get harrassed by a certain employee, that is still there.

Cons

The company lets you get harrassed and does nothing about it. Then moves that employee up in the company and the one harrassed has to lose their job. Doesn't make since to me! I will never work there again because this was unfair to me!

Advice to Management

Do something about the harrassment that goes on so other employees dont have to put up with it and lose there job that they were good at and liked!

"Dismayed by Director's Behaviour and Attitude"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fanatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very casual, friendly environment. CEO Doug Mack seems pretty good at his job. Nice to be working in sports. Plenty of gallows humor and camaraderie among the condemned!

Cons

Ruthless director who lacks interpersonal skills. No career path. Role not clearly defined and constantly changing. Overworked. Underpaid. No sense of being valued as a person. Very obvious that our director views entire team as pawns in his dog-eat-dog game with his peers. Minimal benefits. In terms of the code base, its a complete free for all. Very little documentation. Lots of poorly written, poorly maintained software. Every project becomes a nightmare due to unrealistic deadlines and difficulties coordinating activities of multiple interdependent teams.

Advice to Management

Read a book about how to be a manager because you haven't got a clue. You could also use a course on interpersonal skills and how to motivate your team.

"Like college, but worse!"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

You can sit at your desk while listening to podcasts and watching videos all day and no one will be any the wiser.
    You don't have to worry about that pesky ladder of success getting in your way, unless you kiss butt all day, every day, speak like you just got an MBA from JU or have any Delta Chi brothers who work there.
    Like to meet new people? Cool! You'll see a new CEO or President every couple of years or so.
    Free coffee (but expect to have to talk to someone about 'deliverables' or golf before you pour).

Cons

Did you belong to a frat or a sorority? Then THIS is the place for you! Cliquish to the max! If you ain't one of the cool kids, you'll know when you don't get promoted after a couple years, but the newest employees move right on up. Study your business speak, so you'll know just what the heck upper management is talking about. "What's our net net?" "Deliverables" "All Hands on Deck" "Low hanging fruit"

Advice to Management

Sell the company. Move to San Francisco and stop pretending you care about Jackosnville.