Fanatics Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fanatics CEO Doug Mack
Doug Mack

Pros
  • Dress code; Most of the employees are great to work with (in 28 reviews)

• The opportunity to really take care of customer needs, casual dress, (in 19 reviews)

Cons

"Worked at the company for 4 years"

I have been working at Fanatics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced company. Company has drawling every year for peak season. Where they give away gift cards, TV's, sports packages. And such. They continue to make upgrades to the plant to improve employee comfort.

Cons

I have been an epic lead ( seasonal lead) for the past two years. I have had to train a full-time lead both years to take over my job. No one in upper management has the time of day to talk with you about your concerns. Human resources are not there for the employee they are there for the company. A lot of us were due for pay raises the first of December. We have yet to see them. But promised they will be on our next payday. Upper management changes all the time.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees and what's going on in each department. Know who does the best job at leading a department correctly. Just because a person is in a full-time lead position does not mean they are the best suited for that position.

"Full of empty promises"

Former Employee - Inventory Control in Frazeysburg, OH
    Former Employee - Inventory Control in Frazeysburg, OH

Pros

Pay, casual environment, good exercise

Cons

Very long hours, treated as a number not a person, people get let go for very petty things

Advice to Management

Don't promise everyone a full time position knowing very well a mass lay off is coming

3. "Jus bad"

I worked at Fanatics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer overtime
    You get paid decent

Cons

You get absolutely no excused absences

5. "Property Manager"

I worked at Fanatics full-time

Pros

You set a lot of your own hours, along with the staff that you put in place.

Cons

The middle management in the University division was the worst I've ever seen. Obscene, vulgar, and rude are understatements. The goal is to work managers more than 80 hours a week and keep margins high

Advice to Management

Fire the people running your stadium division, and bring in people that actually have people skills

"Huge Potential- equally huge failure... repeatedly."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fanatics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sports, sports gear, exciting playoff tracking, exciting growth opportunity (for the company anyway...)...

Non-traditional retailer.

Cons

Work-Life balance is a joke, you will be asked to dig deeper and work harder and smarter when the reality is, the work you will end up doing should be split easily between you and likely 2 more people that will probably not be hired.

Non-traditional retailer- while it is also a plus bc you aren't constrained... it's also a huge negative because no one follows any kind of process that is consistent and will push the vendors/supply chain to provide better product, on time, that is the caliber of what fans want.

The disconnect between the corporate senior leadership teams, and the operations teams is an every widening gap that has become nasty and combative and has created a hostile work environment across divisions and throughout multiple Fanatics offices, warehouses and production facilities.

The problems are pervasive and turnover will continue to be an issue as employees slowly but surely reach burnout and determine that risking homelessness and being unemployed is a better option than continuing to go to work only to feel unfulfilled, angry, stressed, degraded, demeaned and unappreciated.

Advice to Management

At the top level of Fanatics- Doug Mack is brilliant and inspiring... his direct reports... also wonderful. Drop to the next level and suddenly everything begins to fall apart. Direction becomes muddy and the expectation to "make it work" is unrealistic and insulting. It's one thing to empower your team to acheive the goals you've set... it's quite another to empower them without giving them the tools, authority or clarity of what your goals are.

I burned out in 18 months- which is quite honestly the most heartbreaking thing because when I joined Fanatics, I was so excited about the culture that was pitched to me.... only to be constantly let down when that culture turned out to be nothing but pipedreams.

"Accounting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fanatics (More than a year)

Pros

Good Culture, casual dress code, good industry.
    Great Boss!
    Casual

Cons

long hours
    low pay
    a lot of expectations

"Constant chaos, major gaps in management, not true to their values"

Former Employee - SharePoint Architect in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - SharePoint Architect in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fanatics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The dress code is the biggest pro to working for Fanatics as you will notice from the many other reviews that mention it. It is Google casual meaning that you can wear shorts and t-shirts.

If you are excited to hear about the CEO and other executives getting to hang out with professional athletes, then this company is for you. The executives also occasionally get custom jerseys made for them, which is exciting as well. When they are feeling very charitable, they give employees the cheapest shirts with the company brand on them. You do, however, get an opportunity to buy higher quality shirts with the company logo.

There is a 30% discount on all merchandise, which is cool.

Cons

Unless you are chosen by the San Francisco management to work on new technology and ideas, there is no career path. There is no training available for those that genuinely want to be a part of it. There is no mentoring path.

The company lists as one of its values "Missionaries not Mercenaries", yet they hire contractors and temps just like any other company. They do not reward loyalty. They do not reward those that do everything they are asked to do.

The talk about One Team, yet the technology team operates with an entirely different set of collaboration tools than what is available to the rest of the company and they do not support the rest of the company when it comes to creating new solutions. There is a growing disconnect between tech and the rest of the business and the same is happening between their Jacksonville and San Francisco offices.

There are massive gaps in leadership positions throughout the company. This causes in gaps in communication of goals, priorities, and expectations. It also leads to a lack of expertise in many different areas as the managers that are there don't have time to fill all of the open positions that exist.

In the three years I was with the company, I did not hear one single communication from the owner of the company. The company exists solely to make him money and as far as the employees know, he takes no part or care in it. It used to be a family owned business, but now it is simply a Silicon Valley start up that is located in Jacksonville.

The executives are mostly located in San Francisco and have no care for the city of Jacksonville. They take no effort, as far as I could tell, in getting to know Jacksonville or its culture. We get to hear about the various reasons that San Francisco is better than Jacksonville - apparently kale shakes are all the rave out there.

This doesn't belong as a pro or a con, but if you are a Microsoft engineer, Fanatics is moving away from all MS technology.

I was very excited to stay with the company and tried to do everything I could to be a part of the future. I bought into the missionary culture and even passed up a couple of decent opportunities elsewhere in order to try to give management time to calm the chaos and give me an opportunity doing something good for the company. I wound up railroaded into work I did not want to do permanently and had no team to work with and was never given any assurance of a better future. I finally decided not to pass up an opportunity that was thrown at me and I have left.

One final note. EBITA. It is the constant goal of the company at this point, which means they are always looking for ways to cut operational expenses. That usually means operating with leaner teams. There is no guarantee of stability at Fanatics. Don't be a missionary.

Advice to Management

Fill the gaps in leadership and create a career path for your employees.

"What was once a place for a career is now just a stop over"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fanatics (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth potential for the company, due to the current deals they are inking with the leagues and pro teams, long term contracts (10+ years) ensures a continued steady revenue stream, which currently is $1B+. Flex hours, casual dress, and working in the sports world are nice. But thats where the pros stop.

Cons

Management, never available and never there for you. They are also nearly all in San Francisco, which is where the company sees their future, not Jacksonville. Aside from contracting most of the work out, they poach from eBay and Amazon. All new C-level members, who have pushed out the people under the original CEO, have brought in their own people. Which leaves no room for growth. They are trying to get the company ready to go public (main reason why all the new C-level people are here, cash out potential) so it's all about EBITA, so they are crunching everywhere...except for the $0.5M Super Bowl party the execs threw (employees not invited), they even had Wiz Khalifa performed.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well, develop, engage, proactively listen (instead of looking at your phone when your employee is speaking with you), and pay well. Actively engage employees, many have been with the company for a long time and have a genuine interest in the success, don't just shrug them off because they are not new hires under the new regime. Their is a substantial exodus going on, do you not care or have you embraced it so that you can ship the jobs to San Fran.

"Went from family feel to cut-throat"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fruit Cove, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fruit Cove, FL

I worked at Fanatics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growing company, can be opportunity for those who can take the culture.

Cons

No loyalty to anything or anyone. Company constantly changing directions and continues to get rid of good people. Very uneasy and backstabbing atmosphere.

"No loyalty or love"

Current Employee - Inventory in Atlantic Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Inventory in Atlantic Beach, FL

I have been working at Fanatics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can get a full time pay check and during the peak season you'll get overtime.

Cons

If you are a hourly employee don't expect to move up through company. You need two things to move up here no matter how long you've been with the company or how much experience you have.
    1- You will need to be a former Amazon employee.
    2- Fresh out of college with no experience but have your degree.

I've seen a lot of dirty moves made in this company and that's where the no loyalty comes from. Once the Amazon people got here, they ran out pretty much everyone who had been here 5-10 even 15 years. If you didn't get ran out... then you got demoted from a manager to a team lead.

Advice to Management

Take a second look at your long time employees when it comes to promotions.