Fanatics Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 13 reviews

3.2
Fanatics CEO Doug Mack
Doug Mack

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fanatics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is the best company that I have ever worked for in the last 12 years of my development background. Great benefits package Work from home ability Getting to work on new projects and new technologies Kind of sort of Agile methodology with Sprint work increments Work hard play hard culture Ability to move up the ladder (depending on what you are hired as.. title/pay)

Cons

Work life balance kind of sucks. We are expected to be connected even after hours via our personal phones using Slack. Open office floor plan makes it very difficult to focus and get any work done. The projects often change direction, or are completely nixed in the last home stretch. The business changes their mind every 30 seconds (typical) Projects will change direction will change abruptly in the home stretch,...

Advice to Management

Stay transparent with your employees on the status of the company and hire some project managers.

Fanatics2019-06-21

"avg company that has growth issues"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fanatics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some good people. few rotten.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to have a sense of whats next. they do have objectives defined but seems like there is more of an effort to look good to sell the company. not sure how successful they would be if they go public.

Advice to Management

learn how to avoid getting into situations where you have to lay off people and please avoid rewarding people based on favoritism.

Fanatics2019-07-26
  3. "Good learning with technology stack"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fanatics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good learning opportunity, every new grad can think of joining this company as this will create good career for next opportunities

Cons

Code base is very haphazard and disorganized as they are still growing. There might be some internal politics which we are not aware about. Very recently they have laid off more than 200 experienced and new employees. No one of them were given notice about this and got terminated in a day.

Advice to Management

Don't think as if you are Amazon.

Fanatics2019-05-27

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fanatics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good tech stack, opportunity to develop yourself, cool office, nice people!

Cons

Long hours some time doing support.

Advice to Management

Give feedback more often

Fanatics2018-04-29

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fanatics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

bagels on friday, location, cool people

Cons

my manager is a slave driver. The omt project was great before upper management put the wrong people in place. You are expected to finish something when the manager decides it should be done. You will get talked to if you dont finish it regardless of how unrealistic the deadline is. people are constantly leaving. Teams are lean and there arent many chances for career advancements.

Advice to Management

Clean up your entire IT management. Great company with great CEO but IT organisation is not the place to be with these people.

Fanatics2018-04-12

"One of the best places I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Fanatics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Whenever people ask me what I like about working at Fanatics during interviews and such, I have a ready answer: the company cares about its people. For a short period I was unhappy with my role and the team I was on. I voiced that, and they found me something that was a better fit, rather than saying "tough beans, do it or find something else." Also, we have lots of employees in Florida. During the recent hurricanes,...

Cons

On the flip side of that positive note, it sometimes feels like a startup combined with a bureaucracy. There are lots of tools we have to use because a higher up says so but those teams are agile and the tools are not fully developed, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You've made a great place to work where employees feel empowered.

Fanatics2017-10-04

"Ok place to work ...at best"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fanatics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent work life balance, Easy going co-workers.

Cons

If you are expecting to grow your career here forget about it unless you are good at politics. People you know are more important than what you can do. There is a severe lack in transparency when it comes to employee evaluations. Most good engineers leave since they do not see any challenging opportunities. The scale of the problems isn't large enough to challenge your abilities. A lot of the projects are hacks...

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Make sure people are hired to fit the role not the the other way around where roles are changed to match the people.

Fanatics2017-08-29

"Quality Organization with a bright future"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fanatics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Intelligent, friendly and contagiously exuberant team. These people care about the quality of work produced and are building teams to further the paradigm.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. My days are split between sports discussions and coding. Zero downside in that statement.

Fanatics2017-01-06

"Good Tech Stack and People"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Fanatics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting projects and technology (Elasticsearch, Couchbase, PostgreSQL). Some very smart and talented developers and QA folks. Reasonably fun work environment.

Cons

Lack of accountability and "blamestorming". We used to call it "Fantics", because there's no "a" (for accountability) in Fanatics. Moving lots of tech to the west coast under new leadership. CEO and CTO seem like great people.

Advice to Management

Would have been cheaper and more cost effective to keep all of your development over on the east coast instead of San Fran!

Fanatics2016-11-03

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Fanatics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great startup work environment and fast response to queries.

Cons

Takes time for engineering staff to get access to various development related tools. At most three days.

Fanatics2016-10-21