Fancy Hands Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.9
Ted Roden & Joshua Boltuch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You work from home whenever you'd like" (in 44 reviews)

• "You choose when you want to work" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "I spent over 20 minutes on this task to be ridiculed about items that don't even pertain to the task itself" (in 31 reviews)

• "I think some assistants come to Fancy Hands expecting to make full-time wages but let's be honest - that's not possible" (in 13 reviews)

"Assistant"

I worked at Fancy Hands part-time

Pros

There were plenty of tasks to complete and most of the work was somewhat enjoyable.

Cons

The pay was very low and the scope of the tasks should earn assistants FAR more money.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Your entire business is built on hard work by overqualified people for far too little money. Your value proposition is your assistants, yet you reap all the benefits.

2. "Good concept, struggles with execution"

Former Employee - Virtual Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Virtual Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fancy Hands (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, large amount of tasks to choose from

Cons

Poor archiving of tasks, Too many penalties for old tasks when they get reopened due to email ads. Was penalized for refusing unethical tasks

Advice to Management

Need an auto archiving system after a task has been closed for several months. Need a better screening process for tasks.

"Fancy Hands"

I have been working at Fancy Hands full-time

Pros

You are able to work from home.

Cons

Low pay, long time to complete tasks, terrible mentors and managers

I spent over 20 minutes on this task to be ridiculed about items that don't even pertain to the task itself. These messages from "Mentors" are extremely crude. It is no wonder several of my peers have stopped using this service, as will I myself after yet another experience like this. I am unclaiming this task and contacting all of the representatives I spoke with.

Advice to Management

Train mentors and managers to value assistants more. And read each task before critiquing because majority of the time their criticism is not even related to the task.

"Laughable Company"

Current Employee - Virtual Assistant
    Current Employee - Virtual Assistant

I have been working at Fancy Hands part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not hard to get the job.

Cons

Where should I start? There are so many cons that I've decided to write a review about the company and note that this is my first one. As everyone has said the pay is low although they advertise it to be much higher. I am choosy with my tasks which means that I must weed through the tasks that I feel are worth at least $20 or more to pick the ones that are actually "worth" the $3 or $4 listed. I've made calls on behalf of someone, which yes it could be worth $4, but when you're talking 20, 30, 40+ people to call you need to up the price. Look at your competitors. They pay their employees much more than what you are paying. Another task I've done was graphic design based. Obviously, you need certain programs to do that. Don't ask if they provide the programs, of course they don't.

A mentor is "an experienced and trusted adviser." Not at Fancy Hands. I read a review about favoritism from the "mentors" as well as the way that they talk to new assistants (or ones they don't like). I can agree with those comments. I've worked with this company for literally 5 days. My background, let's just say, is probably above many of these "mentors" pay grades, yet the way that they talk to you is beyond unacceptable. Some are very nice, but others you can tell that this is the only job they'll ever be able to get so they take it out on the new assistants or even those that aren't mentors yet. As for the favoritism, I've actually experienced what I'd consider as harassment or bullying almost. One particular mentor has to comment or reject nearly everything I do. It's to the point that one of the other mentors (who is a lot nicer I might add) must respond to my client answers, essentially booting this person from my tasks. It must be bad if other mentors are seeing it. Please note that this is beyond simple corrections or suggestions on how to improve. Also, response time from managers is slow. My client has a clear deadline and I'll respond within minutes, but then have to wait for a mentor to approve my response which has taken almost an hour. If we have to be timely, they should too. Not much mention on how to advance to become a mentor either.

I didn't see any mention in reviews I've read about the system that you have to work in as an admin. Let me tell you, it is the most PRIMITIVE system I've ever seen. Everything has to be completed within the system, fine, but shouldn't things work!? You tell me not to use my personal e-mail, google drive etc., however the attachment option does not work. As someone who is just starting, that's not something I'd expect from such a "great" company. The e-mail option doesn't allow for CC or BCC which was very surprising seeing as though we must communicate on behalf of our clients through that. The phone system is ridiculous. There should be an option to download an app or something on my phone to make calls instead of having to call on my computer to be called on my phone to be patched through. Seriously, get with the times.

I applied to this job to make decent money on the side to save towards birthday gifts, holiday shopping etc. I read the reviews before applying, but I tried to look past all the HORRIBLE cons because I figured I needed to take on more jobs to make decent income. However, heed my warning, DO NOT EXPECT MUCH! Literally, this job is enough to buy candy for Halloween and that's about it!

Advice to Management

1. Increase pay. My younger sibling with NO DEGREE and NO HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA (currently in high school) makes more than I do!

2. Streamline the requests. Some are just downright ridiculous and too cumbersome in comparison to the pay that your company provides.

3. Screen your mentors. Do they even answer to a supervisor? There needs to be an option where you can review them.

4. Provide a schedule for admin. Allow us to create our own schedule. We can accept and work on requests during that time. Once we are "off the clock" then the client is alerted via e-mail that he/she will receive a response within 1 business day. Currently, it's 8 hours and if a client responds after I've gone to sleep, I basically have to scramble to respond to them or I lose money; even if I responded to them hours earlier. This does not allow for people to have a "life outside of work".

5.Uprgrade the system. For pete sakes this is a company that provides VIRTUAL ASSISTANT services. Don't you think that you should have up-to-date technology for your assistants to use? You can't offer a "new wave" service if you can't provide a system that works.

6. Be more transparent with your pay. I know why you all don't say anything about how little you pay, however, your companies reputation will continue to decline thus losing qualified, and even overqualified, assistants.

"sales associates"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Fancy Hands part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is not terrible until you find out you are not being paid for 1/3rd of your time

Cons

pay sucks, they say 10.20 per hour. Read the find print it takes 90 to 100 minutes to earn that because every-time you hang up, you don't get paid until the next time the phone is answered

Advice to Management

You think you are smart - you are criminals and Karma will catch you

"Not worth my time"

Current Employee - Assistant in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Fancy Hands part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to apply and get the job, start right away, make (some) money in 2 weeks at most.

Cons

Not getting paid for work you do. You will start a task, only to have someone else finish it and get paid for the work you have done. You basically have to be attached to your computer until the task is complete which can take 1-3 days. Not for anyone who wants to work 8 hours a day and be done. This is a round the clock position, and you only get paid like $2/hour.

Advice to Management

Assistants should get paid as they go, for every 20 minutes of work they do. No more of this pay at the end nonsense. The way it is set up, other assistants can steal your tasks from you if, god forbid, you ever leave your computer.

"Ok company to work for"

Former Employee - Fancy Hands Assistant
    Former Employee - Fancy Hands Assistant

I worked at Fancy Hands part-time

Pros

Depending on the tasks you take, it can be a pretty easy side job to have. Also, you can do it in the comfort of your home.

Cons

The pay is very low. If you're looking for a job that'll make you some decent money, then this isn't the job for you. It's good for a few extra dollars but nothing much.

"I hate it"

Pros

nothing at all. I hate it

Cons

everything about this company is a con

Advice to Management

How do I get out of being an assistant? This company is ridiculous.

"Virtual Assistant"

Current Employee - Virtual Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Virtual Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Fancy Hands part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, when you want to work.

Cons

Low pay, tasks are often difficult and worth much more than what an assistant earns- which is a whopping $3 dollars, mentors play favorites-Ex.- after an assistant's task is unclaimed because they didn't finish and are sent sometimes 5 reminders/warnings or more to finish task-and they don't, when a new assistant picks up the task some mentors won't approve task and try to send it back to original assistant who dropped the task -making a client wait days for an answer, ignoring Fancy Hands policy regarding unclaimed tasks.

Advice to Management

Stop letting mentors play favorites with assistants. If an assistant picks up a task that was unclaimed-don't let a mentor make an assistant feel bad or wrong for picking up an unclaimed task! The client is supposed to come first-and has been waiting for the task to be completed! If an assistant picks up an unclaimed task and completes it-the mentor should approve it-instead of trying to send it back to the original assistant who didn't complete it!! Start paying assistants more than the lousy $3.00 for tasks that always take longer than allotted time and are worth much more.

"Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Virtual Assistant
    Former Employee - Virtual Assistant

I worked at Fancy Hands part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are very few pros to this company. Ability to work from home, flexible schedule that you can change with your needs, ability to choose assignments.

Cons

Poor pay, work requests are often no estimated for a reasonable amount of time, many requests are unreasonable or unethical, requests for support are slow to respond and often unhelpful.

Advice to Management

Increase pay rate, screen requests better, improve support to employees.