Fandom Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Fandom CEO Craig Palmer
Craig Palmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance is usually good (in 9 reviews)

• Great location in SF, close to BART stations, plenty of restaurants and Whole Foods (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is visibly unable to work well together (in 8 reviews)

• Complete lack of trust between teams leads to a lot of blame, finger pointing, and clique culture (in 4 reviews)

1. "Fandom Leadership"

I worked at Fandom full-time

Pros

Leadership has a vision to drive revenue and be a competitor

Cons

All leadership comes from the same previous company

Advice to Management

Diversify

"A great place, but with big flaws"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

Working in Fandom has provided an enormous improvement in life quality. The company culture emphasizes the importance of balance between work and personal life. Managers are open to let their employees work from home a few times a week as long as their projects are delivered.

Cons

There have been too many changes in a short period of time and it has affected a lot the environment. Some people that have been there for a while don't feel part of the company anymore.

Advice to Management

When opening new positions, try to take a better look inside of the company instead of rushing out to the market to get someone new. Some employees do have the skills necessary to thrive in other areas and provide even more value to the company compared to what they provide right now. It's just a matter of developing the talent the company already has and improving the process for them to get to the teams they can excel at.

Fandom Response

Apr 14, 2017 – President and CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I agree with you -- there have been a lot of changes in the company in a short amount of time and that has affected the environment. As a CEO that has... More

"Bumpy vision but fun workplace"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

Fandom has a really nice community behind it. Contributors are there because they really love their favorite movies or shows or games. Building a platform for them is really great. Plus, if you surround yourself with the right people, you can have a really cool work environment.

Cons

Management is sometimes slow to acknowledge company issues and and the concerns of employees. The wrong people are sometimes rewarded or kept in positions of authority. This hurts the vision of the company.

Advice to Management

Be sure to listen to the concerns of employees. Sometimes it does not really seem like they are really listening to the issues employees might have.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fun environment. Office space is beautiful, people love what they do.

Cons

Not that much room to grow, work is not too challenging.

Advice to Management

Management needs to create more clearly defined objectives and discuss more long-term goals.

Fandom Response

Aug 10, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thanks for your insight - it's great to hear that you enjoy the environment in the office, and equally as good to hear what you would like to see more of from an employee standpoint. Thanks for... More

5. "Startup culture, without the startup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well-established company
    Working at scale
    Great staff
    Reasonable (non-killer) hours

Cons

Open floorplan office. Booo!
    Departments tend to be a bit silo'd. Cross-functional opportunities should be more frequent.

Advice to Management

The organization is still rather pancake shaped. Building in a layer of middle management will help everyone.

6. "Great bosses, great people, fun atmosphere"

Former Contractor - Community Development Specialist
    Former Contractor - Community Development Specialist

I worked at Fandom as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

* Very fun and lively atmosphere, with a lot of mentorship.
    * A lot of friendships blossomed there- not for me, because I made the mistake of not focusing on this aspect (I wish I had, the people are great) but it worked out for a lot of other people.
    * I had several bosses while working there- all of them were GREAT mentors and wonderful people in general.

Cons

* No opportunities for growth from a contract position. Some people in my position got promoted but my boss made it quite clear that this wasn't the norm and I shouldn't expect it.
    * On my first day at work, I was tattled on by another anonymous employee for going on a non-work related site (I had finished my work for the day). I was wrong to be on the site, but I felt a bit frightened from Day 1, knowing there were people spying on me who weren't even in my pod.
    * The pay was low, but it was a contract position and barely even entry-level. So that's to be expected. I got the sense that full time employees were paid decently.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing for the most part, it's a fantastic place to work. Make sure that chances for promotion and growth are made really clear from Day One.

"Start-up that has grown up. The days when people were sleeping under their desks to meet deadlines are over.."

I worked at Fandom (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun start-up with a lot of social activities
    Great for wiki and mediawiki lovers

Cons

Collaboration and communication between departments slowed down as the company grew larger.
    Getting new products to market slowed down, frustrating unless you come from an enterprise style company where things are even slower.
    Many management positions were filled from outside Wikia, demoralizing for hard-working ambitious staff and takes a toll on what used to be the company culture.

Advice to Management

Overall a good job is done by management. Gender equality could improve in some of the departments. "Hire slow, fire fast" attitude would help this business, also applicable for management positions.

"One of the better startups but so much room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great coworkers, colleauges depending on the team/group you are on.
    - Supportive senior managers, if they're around.
    - New SF office is awesome! Panoramic views of SF and Sutro Tower
    - Office management is professional and super helpful.
    - Company is showing growth both globally and internationally. Our newest office is in Tokyo, Japan!
    - Work from home is flexible and almost encouraged by management to ensure high productivity.
    - HR is caring and does a thankless job well.
    - Finance folks are super nice and approachable.
    - IT is super responsive and always gets us any gear requested.
    - International team members visit often and are a pleasure to work with.
    - Recently acquired a company called Huddler. Their workers are cool and fit well in the culture.

Cons

- Some uptight players. If you don't work with them, it's easy to avoid them.
    - Some mid-management folks lack a spine. Even when employees are talking loud and clear, they take no action until its too late.
    - There are some dirty jackasses in the office who clearly don't know how to clean up after themselves. Office management always hunts them down!
    - Company happy hours have been less as there's too many folks to accommodate now.
    - One or two bad apples get to ride the Wikia wave after they demonstrated the lack of skill to do their job. Yet, management keeps them around to allow them to collect a paycheck at the expense of the rest of us pulling their load.
    - Engineers are treated like 1st class citizens. The rest of us who aren't senior management (or management, in general) are peasants.

Advice to Management

Listen to your reports. Why would you ask us to speak up then do nothing? Get rid of the low performers and promote those who show initiative to work. If you do acquire new companies and enployees, dedicate resources to their success. Don't let them float along without guidance.

"A Pretty Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Wikia for over a year, and over all its one of the better places I've worked. The culture is friendly, and most people work 40-45 hours a week. The engineering organization has been slowly growing in the US, and growing very quickly in Poland.

Its rare to find a place that is this enjoyable to work, that is one of the top 40 sites on the internet.

- Wikia has one of the best work life balances of any place I've ever worked.
    - Good group of engineers.
    - Some Sr. Management hires have been stellar.
    - Great location, and beautiful offices.

Cons

While the above points are good, every place has its drawbacks.

- Poor hardware setups for engineering, with a (mid range mac w/ a 3 year old monitor)
    - Lacks product vision
    - Poor career growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Work on a longer term product focus, and make bold choices regarding the product.

"Great challenges and bright co-workers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Product used by millions of people worldwide.
    Open-Source software.
    Opportunity to work with people across the oceans.
    Talented co-workers to learn from.

Cons

Shifted working hours for Poland (need to overlap with US).