Fandom Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Fandom CEO Craig Palmer
Craig Palmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work culture and work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Some of the nicest colleagues and a great location (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management do not have a clear path to success for the company (in 8 reviews)

• Power struggle within product org, community team and design (in 3 reviews)

"Leader"

I have been working at Fandom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The scale at which the company projects to grow in 2018 was reinforced by how it closed out 2017, which was on a high note. One of those was adding video as a major component of the product offerings in 2017, another was the addition of the mobile app so you can take your FANDOMs with you were huge for the company. These two initiatives alone propelled the company forward and I feel very good about the prospects of FANDOM's future as it moves from a digital content platform to more of a media based platform.

Cons

Like any company experiencing growing pains, you need to have the right mix of people to move the organization forward. Hiring the right talent, retaining the right talent and sometimes having make hard decisions and move on from talent already within the organization. It's not easy to keep the morale high when teams see colleagues leave, regaining trust that decisions made were done for the benefit of the company are hard to do and must be done over time. Keeping lines of communication open are key for any company.

Advice to Management

Transparency, Q&A sessions during all-hands, even if the questions are gather beforehand, they need to be answered.

"Exciting times, with more to come"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

- Massive reach & data across all TV, Movies & Gaming audiences
    - Focused on being premium publisher
    - Building original content, specifically video is the future
    - Work hard, play hard environment
    - Lots of perks - team building, happy hour, snack, drinks, and plenty more
    - Clear direction from execs on what the long term goal of company is

Cons

- Internal challenges with organizational transition
    - Brand awareness amongst business partners & consumers
    - Early stages with product and original content programming & process

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees in joint effort to develop solutions to identified challenges

"Exciting and fulfilling place to work"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

Global company that embraces diversity.

Well positioned company with a massive and loyal audience

Fun work environment with a team that is (finally) aligned about what kind of company we are and where we are going. And it’s working well.

Flexible work environment with great office and good benefits

Strong management team with a clear strategy to win in entertainment media. Shifted company focus to editorial and sales. Hired great people.

Cons

Annoying former employees still bitter about a change in direction and layoffs in late 2016 continue to make noise, especially on Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

stay focused and disciplined.

"A Really Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wikia is a great place to work - the Company is evolving to be more of a media company and using its strengths (including its huge fan base and extremely knowledgeable/ passionate fans) to make this a success while at the same time nurturing and growing its core business which are its communities. Management has been very open about this and associated developments and the opportunities are huge.
    The employees at Wikia are engaged, caring and motivated. Management is strong, communicative and, from my perspective, makes the right decisions.

Cons

With the company's evolution there has been some change including some layoffs and some new hires. Also, change can be hard. While some decisions have probably been difficult to make, they had to be made. It is fine for those who disagree with the decisions to criticize them; however, some of the posted comments cross the line from critical to personal, and that is unfortunate (some may say it is to be expected). Regardless, the bottom line for me is that the company is on the right path and the results prove it.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with your decisions. Solicit feedback from employees.

Apr 14, 2017 – President and CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I've been at this 30 years and agree that change is always hard. We will take your advice to heart. We have been holding company meetings very frequently this year to... More

"A community company with a heart"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

Management cares significantly about the welfare of their employees and treats them well wherever possible.

Cons

Some decisions are made based more on strongly held ideas rather than objectives and feedback, particularly from users.

Advice to Management

Sales are not the only measure of success.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom (Less than a year)

Pros

Fandom is a growing company with a fun environment. Forward thinking and collaborative. Opportunity for growth. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Could use more transparency from the top down. The org chart is very confusing.

Advice to Management

Stay close to the employees and encourage open communciation

Nov 1, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Great feedback regarding our work environment - we pride ourselves in providing a fun, collaborative workplace that also values our employees lives outside of work!

7. "Great Company to Work For!"

Pros

Wikia really encourages employees to pursue their passions in the workplace. It's your home away from home where you can still truly be yourself and all ideas/contributions are not only welcome but appreciated.
    You are surrounded by intelligent, fun people and have so many opportunities to interact with people outside your department and in any of our numerous locations. Each office is full of great energy and culture. It's exciting to see where our rapid growth takes us.

Cons

Top down communication is an issue but improving.

Nov 1, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about our culture - we strive to create a workplace where all employees feel valued. We will share your feedback on communication with the team.

8. "A great place to work and only getting better!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fandom is a unique environment - it's fun, creative and interesting - and at the same time very serious about achieving company goals from a community, technology, and financial standpoint. We are going through positive, rapid changes from an employment standpoint to meet those goals and everyone in the company has a visible, valued impact.

Cons

Although we are a small "start up" company - sometimes being nimble can still be a challenge...there are new leaders in the company who are working hard to change that.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees to implement change - and continue to recognize success at the individual contributor level - it's motivating!

Oct 14, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for providing us with your viewpoint - your feedback, pros and cons, is valued!

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work life balance
    - Teams are tight and it feels like working with friends
    - SF office is in a great location, lots of restaurants around, or snacks in the office if you don't want to go out
    - Everyone cares about the product, and more importantly about our users and community members who use it

Cons

- Can feel like every decision can take a long time and that everyone wants a say
    - Working on a lot of different products at once, its hard to find focus

Advice to Management

Be more clear about goals and expectations

Oct 14, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for your feedback - we will share with the management team!

10. "Sales Intern"

Pros

Great environment, great people, learned a lot

Cons

Parking was not available, Civic Center parking

Nov 18, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thanks for sharing! We are glad you learned a lot during your internship with us. Parking can definitely be a challenge in San Francisco - we'll advise future interns as to the best commute options.... More