Fandom Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fandom CEO Craig Palmer
Craig Palmer

Pros
  • The work/life balance is usually good (in 9 reviews)

• Great location in SF, close to BART stations, plenty of restaurants and Whole Foods (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is visibly unable to work well together (in 8 reviews)

• Complete lack of trust between teams leads to a lot of blame, finger pointing, and clique culture (in 4 reviews)

"A Really Good Company"

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wikia is a great place to work - the Company is evolving to be more of a media company and using its strengths (including its huge fan base and extremely knowledgeable/ passionate fans) to make this a success while at the same time nurturing and growing its core business which are its communities. Management has been very open about this and associated developments and the opportunities are huge.
    The employees at Wikia are engaged, caring and motivated. Management is strong, communicative and, from my perspective, makes the right decisions.

Cons

With the company's evolution there has been some change including some layoffs and some new hires. Also, change can be hard. While some decisions have probably been difficult to make, they had to be made. It is fine for those who disagree with the decisions to criticize them; however, some of the posted comments cross the line from critical to personal, and that is unfortunate (some may say it is to be expected). Regardless, the bottom line for me is that the company is on the right path and the results prove it.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with your decisions. Solicit feedback from employees.

Apr 14, 2017 – President and CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I've been at this 30 years and agree that change is always hard. We will take your advice to heart. We have been holding company meetings very frequently this year to ... More

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom (Less than a year)

Pros

Fandom is a growing company with a fun environment. Forward thinking and collaborative. Opportunity for growth. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Could use more transparency from the top down. The org chart is very confusing.

Advice to Management

Stay close to the employees and encourage open communciation

Nov 1, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Great feedback regarding our work environment - we pride ourselves in providing a fun, collaborative workplace that also values our employees lives outside of work!

3. "A great place to work and only getting better!"

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fandom is a unique environment - it's fun, creative and interesting - and at the same time very serious about achieving company goals from a community, technology, and financial standpoint. We are going through positive, rapid changes from an employment standpoint to meet those goals and everyone in the company has a visible, valued impact.

Cons

Although we are a small "start up" company - sometimes being nimble can still be a challenge...there are new leaders in the company who are working hard to change that.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees to implement change - and continue to recognize success at the individual contributor level - it's motivating!

Oct 14, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for providing us with your viewpoint - your feedback, pros and cons, is valued!

5. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work life balance
    - Teams are tight and it feels like working with friends
    - SF office is in a great location, lots of restaurants around, or snacks in the office if you don't want to go out
    - Everyone cares about the product, and more importantly about our users and community members who use it

Cons

- Can feel like every decision can take a long time and that everyone wants a say
    - Working on a lot of different products at once, its hard to find focus

Advice to Management

Be more clear about goals and expectations

Oct 14, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for your feedback - we will share with the management team!

6. ""Pinch me, I must be dreaming.""

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands down the best environment. people and organization that I have ever worked for. We have the freedom to be real about who we are and what we are passionate about. There is a lot of trust in what we can deliver, a huge amount of collaboration across the organization globally, genuine passionate and heart for the communities that we support, balance in our day to day priorities, and a real sense of community amongst our employees.

Cons

You really need to feel a deep level of passion for what we do and our goal of being the largest fan contributor media company in the world.

Advice to Management

Continue to allow inspire us to do great work and have fun

Aug 29, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for sharing your experience, particularly regarding the culture and values. We encourage anyone who wants to be inspired and have fun while accomplishing their goals to inquire more about ... More

7. "Behind the Scenes"

Former Intern - Apprentice in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Apprentice in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom as an intern

Pros

I had the opportunity to be an apprentice at Wikia for 12 weeks though a non-profit called Hack the Hood. Wikia was excited to have me and glad they were able to host me to expand my knowledge of Digital Marketing.

Wikia's SF office is a great environment to get to know people from different departments within the organization. Even though Wikia is not a startup, it still had this startup culture feel throughout the office.

Be ready to learn how to use a mac computer, slack, blue jeans, and the Google Suite.

I was exposed to work in Advertisement Operations/ Business Intelligence and Community Development.

In Ad Ops/ BI, it's more serious environment than com dev. But both had friendly staff that are committed to helping you understand key concepts and practices.

Com dev and design teams work in the dark side of the office to help them distinguishing the real color effects on their projects. I would say com dev and design area is the most diverse department because Wikia has a lot of international communities and needs full-time employees to support those communities.

I've seen that the engineers use better technology than the rest of the other departments but it make sense for them to have better gadgets.

IT is knowledgable on security measures when it comes to technology and are very helpful people when you have issues regarding technology you use at the office.

HR is committed to support their employee's by providing workshops to help them in personal skills and encourage them to volunteer in the community. Also, they provide hiring training so the employees won't complain to the recruiting/ hiring manager that they made a bad decision for their teams.

I love the all employee meetings. It makes you feel part of a movement and they provide breakfast!

I sure learned a lot in just 12 weeks. I see a lot of potential for growth at Wikia as a company. Recently, they have launched a new brand called Fandom and hope anyone who reads this is up for an adventure with them!

Cons

Wikia's SF office has a roof-top that you can access to relax and enjoy the view of Downtown SF but does not have wifi access. You would have to work from your hardware on the roof.

Snacks and beverages were fully stacked all the time but wish they had more of a variety of snacks but beverages had a lot of varieties to choose from.

If your in the design team, be prepared to design a lot of projects at last minute but challenges are always fun.

"Great company, only getting better"

Current Employee - Vice President Design in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Design in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A year ago, I would not have been able to write such a positive review of Wikia. Today, however, the company is much different. Our CEO has continued to make hard, but good decisions about with regards to his leadership team and the outcome of that today is that we have a much stronger culture and our growth trajectory is constantly leveling up.

- The company has put in place a strong vision for the future over the last 6-9 months and is executing better than ever

- Strong work/life balance. Work hard, play hard, but the hours are reasonable for most folks in the company.

- Evolving leadership is more and more focused on a high-performance culture that knows how to have fun.

- Fun product to work on at the intersection of pop-culture and online communities

- Significant new product development in the last year has led to big improvements to our culture of shipping high quality product frequently and often.

Cons

-Some of our legacy products or features have been difficult to evolve and improve over the years due to combination significant tech debt and feature negotiations with communities. This is improving, but still offers some challenges.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on improving the quality of our overall team and set the bar higher with every hire. Continue to educate everyone from top to bottom on how we're going to achieve audience and financial success as an evolving media company, and how we're going to make the tough choices to get there.

Aug 24, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for providing such insight into the evolution of the company - particularly with regard to prior product challenges, product roadmap, and the steady improvements to our management and ... More

9. "Awesome growth company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company making all the right decisions to evolve into an entertainment media company. The wrong people are getting managed out and great new people are being added all the time. There is an exciting growth strategy that is clearly working. A fun and rewarding time to work at Wikia and the future is bright.

Cons

There is not a 401k match yet. Other than that nit pick, not much negative to report. Lots of exciting things.

Advice to Management

Carpe diem. The evolution from a platform company to a mainstream ad sales based entertainment media business means making some hard decisions, especially as it relates to people, expectations and culture, and these are the decisions that are being made today. Focus on ruthless execution.

10. "Prepare for Fandom!"

Current Intern - Community Development & AdOps in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Community Development & AdOps in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is not your typical office space, the teams are very welcoming and make you feel like a family. Everyone is trying to help you succeeded and will often take time out of their day to teach you new skills and office their insight. The mindset is very laid back and because Wikia is the "Home of Fandom," most people in the office have something they fan over, making it really easy to connect to others. In terms of growth, I have had a lot of opportunities to move up in the ranks (I am supposed to be interning for 3 months, recently offered to extend into summer, so will vary for full time employees).

Cons

Because I have not been at Wikia for very long (2 Months so far), I can not speak of very many cons. Not to say that there aren't, I just haven't been exposed to them yet. (Will update if any arise)

"Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team is family. Supportive. Innovative. Not afraid of testing and pushing boundaries. Self questioning. Strategic. Clear vision of path to success.

Cons

Growth from start up to being a real company hasn't been without challenges. Long term vision sometimes loses out to short term gains.

Advice to Management

Keep listening. Keep being flexible and thinking smart. Never forget who brought you to the party.