Fandom Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Fandom CEO Craig Palmer
Craig Palmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work culture and work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Some of the nicest colleagues and a great location (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management do not have a clear path to success for the company (in 8 reviews)

• Power struggle within product org, community team and design (in 3 reviews)

"Leader"

I have been working at Fandom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The scale at which the company projects to grow in 2018 was reinforced by how it closed out 2017, which was on a high note. One of those was adding video as a major component of the product offerings in 2017, another was the addition of the mobile app so you can take your FANDOMs with you were huge for the company. These two initiatives alone propelled the company forward and I feel very good about the prospects of FANDOM's future as it moves from a digital content platform to more of a media based platform.

Cons

Like any company experiencing growing pains, you need to have the right mix of people to move the organization forward. Hiring the right talent, retaining the right talent and sometimes having make hard decisions and move on from talent already within the organization. It's not easy to keep the morale high when teams see colleagues leave, regaining trust that decisions made were done for the benefit of the company are hard to do and must be done over time. Keeping lines of communication open are key for any company.

Advice to Management

Transparency, Q&A sessions during all-hands, even if the questions are gather beforehand, they need to be answered.

"Fast-Evolving Company and a Fun Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Though there were difficult transition periods, 2017 has been a great year for company growth. We're continuing to evolve into a media platform, and our company-created content in both editorial and video continues to improve. 2018 is looking extremely positive.

The best thing about working here is the people, and it's what's kept me here for so many years. If you take advantage of social opportunities in the office then you'll find not only great co-workers to spend your days with but great friends. I've made many very close friends at this company. Any difficulties that come along with the job are made worth it by that.

Cons

Executives often focus on the importance of individual team cultures and while that's an important aspect of management, they should also make sure they are keeping their eye on overall office culture as well. The SF office morale was hit hard by 2016 Q4 layoffs and while it has recovered, it still has room to grow. Encouragement and even social participation from the senior team is important.

Advice to Management

Most company growth is on the Content and Sales side. Product and Engineering are doing an admirable job with limited resources (the redesigns to wikis and editorial in 2017 have been fantastic), but management should take more steps to ensure that these teams have the resources that they need as we continue to evolve the site in 2018. In my experience most people with lower morale in the company are from the Product and Engineering side and I believe that the resource gap between their teams and the Content teams is a big reason why.

"Working at Fandom"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

You get to work with brands and products you love.

Cons

Frequent changes to the organisation.

"Listen To Your Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people were amazing. Tons of hard working coworkers that felt like friends.

- Robust snack closet and drink fridges.

- Cool events sometimes like yearly movie screenings, occasional Friday movies/treats, or a party.

- Great medical, dental, vision benefits.

- Walkable to BART.

Cons

- Leadership. They blame everyone except themselves when something goes wrong.

- Unhealthy work life balance. The job should be 9 - 5. It often is not. You have to hide if you work extra to avoid criticism or punishment.

- Disrespect towards "lesser" workers in meetings with upper leadership.

- Lots of manipulation and dishonesty to get workers to hang on a bit longer.

- Often felt harassed by other workers.

- The people encouraging employees to report a bad work environment are the same people involved in silent firings. It's scary to come forward and say anything.

- SF office feels like a ghost town with all of the empty desks.

- Management plays music to combat the emptiness. Hard to concentrate at times. Worst part is when reported to management their reply was a cold, "Deal with it."

- Witch hunts for "non loyal" people. Due to this it's hard to express a view or ask for help in fear you'll be outed as "one of the toxic people poisoning everyone's morale".

- Overall bad environment. Had to leave.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers. Quit blaming low morale on former employees who were laid off in 2016. That's not why great employees are making the decision in 2017. People have a low morale because they don't feel listened to. Read this year's engagement surveys and try to understand the results from your employee's view.

"Exciting and fulfilling place to work"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

Global company that embraces diversity.

Well positioned company with a massive and loyal audience

Fun work environment with a team that is (finally) aligned about what kind of company we are and where we are going. And it’s working well.

Flexible work environment with great office and good benefits

Strong management team with a clear strategy to win in entertainment media. Shifted company focus to editorial and sales. Hired great people.

Cons

Annoying former employees still bitter about a change in direction and layoffs in late 2016 continue to make noise, especially on Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

stay focused and disciplined.

"Exciting times, with more to come"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

- Massive reach & data across all TV, Movies & Gaming audiences
    - Focused on being premium publisher
    - Building original content, specifically video is the future
    - Work hard, play hard environment
    - Lots of perks - team building, happy hour, snack, drinks, and plenty more
    - Clear direction from execs on what the long term goal of company is

Cons

- Internal challenges with organizational transition
    - Brand awareness amongst business partners & consumers
    - Early stages with product and original content programming & process

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees in joint effort to develop solutions to identified challenges

"5 years at fandom for a reason"

Current Employee - Community in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Community in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I actually love the work that I do. Since I started here my duties have changed drastically while still incorporating my core role. Some might find this troubling but I enjoy the change of pace.

I've rarely had to work more than 8 hours a day. Even so, those hours that I do work are typically never stressful. When I am asked/obligated to work more than 8 hours, it's usually enjoyable. My workload varies depending on how popular media titles are at the time.

I literally turned a hobby of mine into a job/career.

Good location, office space, office managers, and culture.

There was a time before, during, after we had layoffs that the culture was toxic. A high concentration of passive-aggressiveness by some low/mid level people that tainted others, myself included. People would complain endlessly about their roles and their manager's incompetence in DMs or private slack channels and it started to affect my own happiness here. Those people are gone for the most part, including the managers. I've had a fair amount of jobs in my lifetime and working here is objectively "comfortable".

Cons

The pay isn't too great for my role. Seniority or loyalty doesn't afford you anything. If you've been here for X amount of years, a new hire will start at the same salary as you if you're on the same team.

I've had some miscommunications/lack of confidence with HR in the past.

Upper management has had a history of making some poor decisions with appointing managers. Keeping creative people on a leash seems to be why most people leave.

Music plays in half the office. I can't stand it, but it's just a minor personal preference.

Most of my department has to WFH because they can't afford to live in the immediate area. There is a lack of camaraderie because we simply communicate mostly through our chat app. It's a stark difference to when we had multiple team members working side by side some years ago.

"Would not recommend"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

- Some amazing people still left at the company.
    - Decent benefits and convenient office location.
    - Pantry with snacks.

Cons

Our product is derivative and stagnant, and the executive team is just a battle of big egos who cannot agree on the simplest things.

Advice to Management

Stop lying and intimidating employees and start treating them as the experts they are.

"Good company gone bad"

I worked at Fandom full-time

Pros

Still some of the old Wikia spirit left below the upper management.

Cons

- Upper management lives in their their own world

- Massive layoffs end of last year destroyed the company values, many good people quit shortly after
    - HR acts like they really care, but it's all empty talk and chaos

Advice to Management

Take responsibility and quit and let people who love the company and product lead the way and not some NY sales bros.
    Also stop telling HR to report my ratings as spreading company secrets, you're getting pathetic.

"Trumpian Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As others have noted, snacks are sadly the only pros I can think of to being at Fandom.

Cons

If you're a fan of Trump and his leadership, you'll love working with the executive team.