Fandom Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fandom CEO Craig Palmer
Craig Palmer

"Bumpy vision but fun workplace"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

Fandom has a really nice community behind it. Contributors are there because they really love their favorite movies or shows or games. Building a platform for them is really great. Plus, if you surround yourself with the right people, you can have a really cool work environment.

Cons

Management is sometimes slow to acknowledge company issues and and the concerns of employees. The wrong people are sometimes rewarded or kept in positions of authority. This hurts the vision of the company.

Advice to Management

Be sure to listen to the concerns of employees. Sometimes it does not really seem like they are really listening to the issues employees might have.

"2016, A Year of Toxicity"

I have been working at Fandom full-time

Pros

When I first joined Wikia/Fandom I felt part of a family. We worked long hours. We drank and laughed together. There was a general feeling of "in it together". Not only that but people were accountable and honest. I felt trust in my leaders. I grew a lot. I was excited in our mission and came to work every day ready to do more.

Cons

Flash forward to 2016, something turned horribly wrong this year. More and more people were hired who did not mesh with our company values, Trust and Community being two of the main ones. We moved away from being a company who worked as a team and became distant silo departments. Some departments started looking for anyone they could throw under the bus to cover their own flaws. People stopped being accountable for their actions and instead played the blame game (which does not help the company at all.)

I've seen more manipulative and toxic behavior in the past couple of months than I ever had at this company. Now a majority of us have been laid off and it's starting to make sense. Speaking to those still left behind it sounds like everyone absorbed the jobs of the people who left. I imagine it's going to be rough for a while.

Advice to Management

Get rid of upper management who openly bash employees, spread rumors, and don't own up to their mistakes. Fandom has such an amazing opportunity to become an entertainment leader. Don't allow toxic behaviors crush the morale of the remaining employees.

"Untrustworthy Management"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Basic "start-up" perks that draw a lot of the younger and less experienced, but passionate and driven crowd.
    * Kegs, pool parties, snack closet, dog-friendly office, people who like to go out and have a good time together.
    * If you have less experience you probably have a decent shot at getting a job here anyways.
    * The Community Development, Community Support, and Sales organizations are well managed and fun to work with.
    * If you're into pop culture or gaming, this is a good company for you.
    * Nerdy in an awesome way.

Cons

Bottom line: Wikia ends up being a demoralizing and dispiriting place to work day in/day out.

* Avoid Marketing, Product, Design, and Engineering.
    * Complete lack of trust between teams leads to a lot of blame, finger pointing, and clique culture.
    * Projects are unreasonably scoped, resourced, and time boxed which leads to constant sense of failure and stress for prod dev teams.
    * Senior Management is visibly unable to work well together. This causes major issues that trickle down and create an unpleasant work environment.
    * Management is the embodiment of "do as I say, not as I do." One example: management harps incessantly that teams must make data driven decisions and then blatantly disregards that data when it doesn't support their preferred approach.
    * A lot of talented people don't stick around. People leave quickly over a short time span, lowering overall company moral. This happens every few months.
    * Unprofessional atmosphere, gossip, people storming out of meetings, etc.
    * Pays below market, annual reviews are late and shoddy.

*Management has campaigned in the past for current employees to write positive Glassdoor reviews. Take note of that when you read reviews here.*

Dec 9, 2016

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. Employee experience is very important to me. Trust and Collaboration are two of our company’s core values. It’s critical that these be fostered ... More

"Leaders drove the good ppl out and the company off a cliff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom (More than 5 years)

Pros

To have been part of such a great group of creative people in the early years. At that time it was a company where what we were working on was what the users wanted. But those years are gone and the bosses like to act like high rollers while they make terrible top-down decisions (Fandom media company?! Really? It was the community platform that built the company and made the money. Now that is going. Check traffic, think about the ad rev biz model and do the math). PRO: looking for another job.

Cons

It's frustrating, truly, to have this go from my favorite job to my worst.

Current assessment: Really terrible and unprofessional leadership in every area at this point. I'm not sure a single department head actually knows how to do anything themselves. And they can't claim "managing people" as a skill either. (Go read the Wikia Glassdoor reviews before the Fandom rebrand to see this has been true for the last couple years despite the attempt to cover it up with phoney reviews & canned replies). HR leadership uses personal connections & private information for power -- has for years. Community used to be the gem of the company but all the actual good ones are gone now to better places and management is finger pointy, angry & absent. Buying a failing company and/or bringing in all failing IGN people to run engineering and product design made literally the whole place feel like high school year book (Inc the cliques that comes with it). CEO acts tough, can be kind of a bully, but still let's the CRO walk all over him even tho that group spends money hand over fist on new hires & lavish offsites.

I fee like I used to work at an awesome growing company I was proud of and that was stolen from so many of us when the old guard left and the new ones came with their outsized egos.

HR - don't stress, I'm already interviewing.

Advice to Management

Hope you are desperately looking for any exit -- bridge loans won't last forever. I'm surprised the board, people I respect, have let you take the company here. Words like "community" hang on the wall, but you forget that should include the community of people that choose to work there. The way you handled the recent layoffs leave no doubt what kind of shallow, selfish, in-over-your-heads leaders you are. Kids playing grown up. I almost feel sorry for you.

"Company growing despite it's best efforts."

I worked at Fandom full-time

Pros

Wikia is an excellent place to begin a startup career. The environment still has a very startup-ey feel, and the experience gained there can be an excellent jumping-off point to something bigger. Pay and benefits have been increasing over the past few years to the point that they are reasonably competitive with similarly-positioned companies. The company is stable and given the large user base there is little threat of it going away.

Cons

Members of senior management are constantly fighting amongst themselves, and the genuine animosity trickles down throughout the entire company. Marketing, especially, is led by individuals who have an undeserved sense of superiority and the missteps led by that department are largely responsible for the aforementioned animosity. There is a general sense of running in circles with little long-term vision.

Advice to Management

Develop a coherent long-term vision for the company. Replace marketing management. Address the toxic culture problems directly rather than campaigning for better Glassdoor reviews.

Dec 9, 2016

Thank you for sharing your candid and specific feedback — it’s appreciated. Know that I read every review and take each positive and negative response seriously. It’s of utmost importance to me that ... More

"Sad to watch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the first couple years. Original team of leaders (Gil, Bill, Artur, Bob, Mike, Sara, Vicky, Sanse etc) were fun, smart, quirky and we felt like a family building something amazing for our community. Scrappy, creative, had each other's backs.

Cons

The last couple years felt like new people coming in only to politic their way around the place. The hands-on management left or were pushed out and the new leadership replaced code with PowerPoint decks and offsites. Lots of bickering too. It felt like your parents were always fighting and you knew they were getting a divorce but you all still had to go to family BBQs together and smile and pretend everything was great. It was exhausting by the end.

Advice to Management

Not sure, get along? Be honest? Hire doers not talking heads?

"Good & Bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people working there.

Cons

Some of the worst people working there. Find the negative reviews in this list, read them, and ignore the canned response from HR stooges who don't actually know what they're talking about and just want to improve the glassdoor score of the company. E

Dec 6, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thanks for your response - we do encourage anyone to read all of the reviews (positive and negative) on Glassdoor, as the intention is to provide a holistic, realistic view into our company, which is ... More

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom (Less than a year)

Pros

Fandom is a growing company with a fun environment. Forward thinking and collaborative. Opportunity for growth. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Could use more transparency from the top down. The org chart is very confusing.

Advice to Management

Stay close to the employees and encourage open communciation

Nov 1, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Great feedback regarding our work environment - we pride ourselves in providing a fun, collaborative workplace that also values our employees lives outside of work!

10. "A great place to work and only getting better!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fandom is a unique environment - it's fun, creative and interesting - and at the same time very serious about achieving company goals from a community, technology, and financial standpoint. We are going through positive, rapid changes from an employment standpoint to meet those goals and everyone in the company has a visible, valued impact.

Cons

Although we are a small "start up" company - sometimes being nimble can still be a challenge...there are new leaders in the company who are working hard to change that.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees to implement change - and continue to recognize success at the individual contributor level - it's motivating!

Oct 14, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for providing us with your viewpoint - your feedback, pros and cons, is valued!

11. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fandom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work life balance
    - Teams are tight and it feels like working with friends
    - SF office is in a great location, lots of restaurants around, or snacks in the office if you don't want to go out
    - Everyone cares about the product, and more importantly about our users and community members who use it

Cons

- Can feel like every decision can take a long time and that everyone wants a say
    - Working on a lot of different products at once, its hard to find focus

Advice to Management

Be more clear about goals and expectations

Oct 14, 2016 – Global Talent Operations Leader

Thank you for your feedback - we will share with the management team!