Fannie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sweat shop"

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

No job stability and is a total sweat shop.

Advice to Management

Quit and make room for real managers.

"Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Compensation and certain team members.

Cons

Mortgage industry subject-matter expertise is respected more than domain or discipline expertise. The organization has too many lifers who are unwilling to adapt or change. It takes forever to get critical software approved and you are expected to be grateful for what they can provide for you. You have limited resources as a designer to do your best work, especially when you are being asked to compromise research for the sake of shipping products.

Half of the company doesn't even know Fannie Mae has an internal design team, which results in duplicative projects all over the organization that may not even address the real needs of customers. Research is not respected and insights are too biased to be useful. They have product owners who used to be business analysts and they have no idea what they are doing. There are too many cooks in the kitchen on projects and designers have the last seat at the table, if at all. The organization has huge silos within silos and no one communicates. It is VERY hierarchical and executives are more like dictators. They expect designers to be magicians who will help the organization become more customer-centered, but they are unwilling to set them up for success.

The issues within the organization are systemic and deeply ingrained in the culture, and it will take a LONG time to establish the conditions necessary for the culture to shift. Some of the senior leaders are incredibly arrogant, direct and impersonal, and the culture can feel very bureaucratic, regimented, and lacklustre at times.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders who have a track record of growing design teams with mutual respect, empathy and vision. Get rid of egomaniacs, empire-builders and status-quo lifers on the management team - it's toxic for everyone.

SLOW DOWN and focus on building out the foundation of a team before you get carried away with the size of your team or the number of projects. Treat employees with respect and value quality over quantity. Don't embellish your successes. Be real and honest with the team about the challenges ahead, and provide a clear mission and vision for what you're all working toward, why and how.

3. "The Company I'm embarrassed to claim."

Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Herndon, VA
    Former Contractor - Technical Recruiter in Herndon, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building. Free parking.

Cons

HR is the worst. No training, too clickish, mangers have zero HR background. The job teaches you nothing. People are hired off of Capitol Hill with no experience. If you dress cute, you're a cool kid. If you work hard, are strategic and want to improve processes, you're lame. Horrible leadership. No morals. People are promoted if they are in the click. No legacy team members who actually KNOW the industry. Attrition is very high.

Advice to Management

Learn what the word 'management' means. Quit teaching perfectly capable humans, bad habits. You make HR look bad. Lawsuit waiting to happen. Address attrition.

4. "Overworked Under Paid"

Former Employee - Underwriting Specialist II in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Specialist II in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Fannie Mae (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits Package is really good

Cons

Unrealistic production goals
    Claims Diversify as long as you are not black. Blind eye is taken to harassment.

Advice to Management

Be knowledgeable

5. "Sluggish and Under optimized Business Needs Competition"

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Genuinely nice people
    Low pressure environment
    Social engagement events
    High compensation
    Work/life balance

Cons

Lack of interest in process improvement
    ambiguous roles/responsibilities
    lack of passion to LEAN org and/or processes
    Extremely silo'd Sr.management team who focus on their own self-interest and not the team/company
    strong entitlement structure for Sr management

Advice to Management

Cut the fat and laziness of your direct reports. They are lazy thinkers and need someone/something to light a fire and reinvigorate passion and commitment. Get them to respect each other and work with each other towards a common goal.

6. "Not recommended"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work life balance and 401k match.

Cons

Disorganized, duplicative work, lack of communication across teams.
    Lack of accountability with leadership. Doesn't stand behind decisions, finger pointing, and very political infighting. High paying salaries, but not worth to be used and abused!

Advice to Management

Stop being abuser and treat people with respect. I advice the upper level management, (VP,SVP, and above) to really review and dig more into their management(Director and manger) actions and change them. Do not keep them just because they good at their job but, treat others without any dignity.
    Some teams management (Director and Manager) are really corrupted and still no one has done anything!

7. "Pick Another Company!"

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Pay is very reasonable

Cons

Absolute horrible leadership. They are degrading, unethical, lack of consistency, poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your top management. There is not support for developing people. They are expected to be perfect and degraded for making mistakes. There is no room for error or helping people grow into the right role. The company has the potential to be amazing, but seriously need to re-evaluation the VP and above level. I have seen so many unethical practices. I have no idea how Fannie makes the top companies to work for better yet any top of rating for diversity.

8. "Software developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good to work here.

Cons

People are very rude here
    They dont stick to timings.
    They keep changing with out concerning others

Advice to Management

first stick to timings. specially while scheduling interviews and all.

9. "Claim Specialist II"

Current Contractor - Claims Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Claims Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

It is a paying job!

Cons

They treated contract so bad.

Advice to Management

Have some empathy when it come to contract. Just recently the big was closed to hazardous items which cause employee to have headache, coughing etc. The Adddison closed the build however Fannie Mae refused to pay contract but let perm work to go and work. Contract didn't have this ability so Our only option was yo go without pay. This is total sad of Fannie Mae Management part.

"Sr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, benefits are competitive, work from home policy liberal depending on your boss.

Cons

I worked for Fannie Mae for about 4 yrs, a little over a year as a contractor and the rest as an FTE. My nick name for Fannie Mae is "Stepford" after the famous original movie and remake. Everyone walks around there with a fake "installed" smile on their face. They will drink the Kool-Aid or they will be gone! I was pulled over by my boss in the hallway for coughing on a conference call. If you have seen the original or remake of the movie "Stepford Wives" you will get the idea. My professional IT career stretches 37 years and I've worked for many different organizations during that time. Never have I worked for an organization more concerned about the slightest “real” emotion emoted. No expressed frustration allowed, no expressed anger allowed. OK, I can hear you, this is someone with no social skills or someone who doesn’t know how to behave at work. NO, I can assure you I’m not some crazy overly emotional person who runs up and down the hallways screaming that the sky is falling or acting like my hair is on fire. I’m a real person, and real people occasionally get frustrated and angry.
    I transferred to my 2nd of two positions during my stint at Fannie a year before I was “laid off”. I had 4 managers during that 1 year period of time. What you see on Glassdoor reviews about re-orgs is absolutely true ─ very frequent. They also execute lay-offs about once a quarter. Maybe not unlike some organizations, but hopefully unlike most organizations, they use this lay off cycle to get rid of people they don’t like and don’t want to be bothered with going through formal HR steps that are required “in writing” by the organization to work with the employee to guide the performance of the employee to be more in line with their position or with the desires of their manager.
    I was told by a colleague that my boss told said colleague that he thought I was a horrible PM (20+yrs experience) and that he planned to “manage me out”, i.e. make me so miserable I would “self-migrate” . My bosses actions had already started to mimic that kind of behavior. He was visibly, with malice of foresight, getting in the way of me doing the job I was hired to do. After 37+ yrs as a professional, it’s not like I’ve never seen this behavior before, but it had never been directed at me personally. If you’ve never had this happen to you, well, great for you! If so, I feel your pain.
    This behavior stopped at some point after I confronted my manager, but the giant had just gone to sleep. Next lay off, yep, I was gone. Three days later, my old job was posted on the job boards. Never a single word was said to me by my boss that there was a single issue with my performance or any guidance to modify my behavior or deliver anything more or differently than the status quo.
    With the exception of my boss, and the director who must’ve been complicit, I loved the work I did at Fannie Mae. I was a “one stop shop” POC for the service my team provided. I received multiple service awards and multiple glowing emails from customers who were extremely pleased with the service I provided. I believe the issue was that I wasn’t subservient enough for my authoritarian boss who went to military boys school and has no college education what so ever.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that people are human beings either at work or not. I'm not suggesting that the organization tolerate behavior that requires anger management, but you are creating a culture of emotional robots that is toxic. Also, the policy of quarterly lay offs to "manage out" those that management just wants to "get rid of" through no issue of lack of performance, but simply due to a less than perfect personality fit between employee and manager should be ended. Not to mention, if you have to re-org every quarter or twice a year you have a bigger issue.

Showing 92 of 1,086 reviews