Fannie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Tim Mayopoulos

"Sr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, benefits are competitive, work from home policy liberal depending on your boss.

Cons

I worked for Fannie Mae for about 4 yrs, a little over a year as a contractor and the rest as an FTE. My nick name for Fannie Mae is "Stepford" after the famous original movie and remake. Everyone walks around there with a fake "installed" smile on their face. They will drink the Kool-Aid or they will be gone! I was pulled over by my boss in the hallway for coughing on a conference call. If you have seen the original or remake of the movie "Stepford Wives" you will get the idea. My professional IT career stretches 37 years and I've worked for many different organizations during that time. Never have I worked for an organization more concerned about the slightest “real” emotion emoted. No expressed frustration allowed, no expressed anger allowed. OK, I can hear you, this is someone with no social skills or someone who doesn’t know how to behave at work. NO, I can assure you I’m not some crazy overly emotional person who runs up and down the hallways screaming that the sky is falling or acting like my hair is on fire. I’m a real person, and real people occasionally get frustrated and angry.
    I transferred to my 2nd of two positions during my stint at Fannie a year before I was “laid off”. I had 4 managers during that 1 year period of time. What you see on Glassdoor reviews about re-orgs is absolutely true ─ very frequent. They also execute lay-offs about once a quarter. Maybe not unlike some organizations, but hopefully unlike most organizations, they use this lay off cycle to get rid of people they don’t like and don’t want to be bothered with going through formal HR steps that are required “in writing” by the organization to work with the employee to guide the performance of the employee to be more in line with their position or with the desires of their manager.
    I was told by a colleague that my boss told said colleague that he thought I was a horrible PM (20+yrs experience) and that he planned to “manage me out”, i.e. make me so miserable I would “self-migrate” . My bosses actions had already started to mimic that kind of behavior. He was visibly, with malice of foresight, getting in the way of me doing the job I was hired to do. After 37+ yrs as a professional, it’s not like I’ve never seen this behavior before, but it had never been directed at me personally. If you’ve never had this happen to you, well, great for you! If so, I feel your pain.
    This behavior stopped at some point after I confronted my manager, but the giant had just gone to sleep. Next lay off, yep, I was gone. Three days later, my old job was posted on the job boards. Never a single word was said to me by my boss that there was a single issue with my performance or any guidance to modify my behavior or deliver anything more or differently than the status quo.
    With the exception of my boss, and the director who must’ve been complicit, I loved the work I did at Fannie Mae. I was a “one stop shop” POC for the service my team provided. I received multiple service awards and multiple glowing emails from customers who were extremely pleased with the service I provided. I believe the issue was that I wasn’t subservient enough for my authoritarian boss who went to military boys school and has no college education what so ever.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that people are human beings either at work or not. I'm not suggesting that the organization tolerate behavior that requires anger management, but you are creating a culture of emotional robots that is toxic. Also, the policy of quarterly lay offs to "manage out" those that management just wants to "get rid of" through no issue of lack of performance, but simply due to a less than perfect personality fit between employee and manager should be ended. Not to mention, if you have to re-org every quarter or twice a year you have a bigger issue.

"Great if you like bureaucracy, political correctness, and working with incompetent people"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Full time pay for part time work

Cons

Horrid management and leadership, many low quality employees who are unemployable at most other organizations, too much governance. Senior leadership acts like African despots who only care about themselves and not customers or employees. Horrific technology that constantly has outages.

Advice to Management

More like advice to taxpayers and the Trump administration. Take a hard look at how money is being spent at Fannie Mae. Tens of millions of dollars a year being spent on McKinsey, Accenture, and other consultants selling the management fad of the day. Taxpayers - this is your money which should be flowing to the Treasury Department!!!

"Mismanaged"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fannie Mae (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Hours worked with commute and home life, not too many late nights.

Cons

Phony and not trust-worthy management, needs constant ego stroking. Current economic environment makes industry unsure of future. Office gets smaller and smaller. Smart people left long ago.

Advice to Management

Why bother? Would never listen.

"Political Environment"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Technology enjoys good training opportunities.

Cons

Too political and culture bottlenecks in some divisions. Ridiculously too many daily meetings in a day. Directors work as project managers and micro manage work. Other levels can't make any decisions. Business decisions are drag, lack accountability, leadership, timeliness to respond, and laden with political, process overheads. New joinees should be careful. Management hires and portrays false image and is not clear what they want. They lack accountability and credibility and work in groups, coterie of old favorites. After couple of years be prepared to get fired. Basically a company that has a use and throw policy and boot licking works heavily. Company survives with lots of contractors. Management is easy to make junior staff a scapegoat for failures. Company lacks career opportunities.

Advice to Management

CEO has great vision. Unfortunately, company has lots of culture bottlenecks. Resources are underutilized. Existing management lacks leadership and people management skills. Dictatorship in some divisions reaps small term results. Hiring process should be freeze as management is not aware why they really wanted the new hire.

"Fannie Mae is Not Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and co-workers were goog

Cons

work- life balance- Brown nosing- management has heads hidden and buried

Advice to Management

Fannie Mae's Credit Managers in NUC in Dallas are a joke! They are all friends and that’s how they got hired, transferred or promoted.
    Fannie Mae is over burdened with management that are friends or (stepford wife) type behavior.
    5 years into my job my manager encouraged me to apply for the America disability act where I was accepted by management in DC and accommodated for my disability, however after 6 months I was laid off due to the computer program I used for my disability being dated as well as my laptop having low memory and would not allow updates for the outdated software. Management kept telling me I would be getting a new computer which would accommodate the software. The day before I was laid off, I went to speak with my manger in regards to the program glitches and slowness and He (my manager) assured me, that I was not being penalized for getting my daily production, and my new lap top was going to be delivered within the next week or two.
    I was laid off the next day and my HR representative was there and I stopped to ask her a question about being laid off and my disability and program compatibility and She did not even know I was approved for the accommodation as an American with Disability Act. There is something wrong with
     This scenario when the department HR did not even know about that. Also the layoff packet or separation agreement stated that if signed and accepted there could be no recourse on Fannie.
    I signed as I needed my severance, however I initialed and wrote in that by signing this document, it did not include my American with disability as I believed that was the reason for the layoff.
    I contacted the EEOC and filed a grievance, and after almost 1 year I was informed that the grievance could not be enacted as I signed the paperwork to receive my severance. The copy they sent me did not include included a different page than the one I crossed out the disability act, my statement and my initials, that page has some else’s signature. No one will follow up on this.
    The most political company that you could EVER work for. No work/life balance. They do nothing but lie to their employees. They simply chew you up and spit you out.
    Don't say you have open door policy when right after you go and gossip with the manager next door about what I said

7. "Resource Center Review"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist III in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist III in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company- each department is different
    Benefits
    Decent pay
    Nice campus with parking (but will be gone soon with the move to downtown DC)

Cons

Supervisors and manager do absolutely nothing.
    The director is a complete (fill in the blank).
    Difficult to work in a team environment. Everyone gossips like it's HS.
    Promotions and pay increases are given to unqualified candidates.
    Retention rate is low so the team is never stable
    Morale is low
    Metrics driven so be prepared to be micromanaged to where you can't even leave your desk to use the bathroom.
    Pointless daily morning huddle meetings at 8:30AM to make sure you are on time (another measure of micromanaging)
    VERY political. They hire only their referrals. Join the team and you'll see what I mean.
    5% Merit increases are only given to favorites.
    Work from home is only Tuesday and Thursday. And there is no flexibility to change so it can help your life outside of work.
    CALL CENTER ENVIRONMENT
    Only way to receive promotion is when someone takes another position to another department.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who have great ideas or you'll keep losing talent. Supervisors and managers are ok with just skating by not trying to develop and better the department.
    Stop hiring useless talent.

"Great mission but bad execution"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High salary, large organization, fewer government constraints

Cons

Unqualified leadership, back-stabbing, in-fighting, inability to execute large projects

Advice to Management

Clean up the culture and hire qualified leadership.

9. "Consultant"

Former Contractor - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Fannie Mae as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Job site located downtown Atlanta - easy access to many restaurant

Cons

Low morale among team members
    Poor work-life balance

Advice to Management

Communicate project deadlines and goals would help the team

10. "Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good pay, all cash bonuses

Cons

Culture is stuck in neutral

Advice to Management

Push outside comfort zone a little more in order to make real change

"InfoSec - Needs drastic improvement"

Current Employee - Contract Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Contract Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

-Reston has an absolutely beautiful campus.
    -On-site gym is a plus.
    -You will work with just a handful of talented, hardworking engineers and problem solvers.
    -You will not be managed (plus if you're the type of contractor who is just coasting by and not trying to be hired or fired; just collecting checks)

Cons

-There is absolutely no concept of Teamwork.
    -Your manager will not guide your or help you or answer any questions because "too busy."
    -Manager Communication style is "Obstruct, Obstruct then Obfuscate."
    -Some managers are very competent others are absolutely ignorant and have no idea about the bare basics of technology process.
    -Contractors have taken over the department which creates no continuity in process or products implemented.

Advice to Management

You need Management training-if you manage a team of FTEs and Contractors, communication isn't optional. It's your job. If you're not going to manage your subordinates at least set clear expectations and deliverables. This will cut down on all the needless fire alarms and faux emergencies.