Fannie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some work life balance, but also expect to work longer hours when mgmt expects deliverables with short turn around times (in 24 reviews)

• Senior management has SO MUCH experience they get into the weeds a bit much (in 27 reviews)

1. "Underwriting Specialist ll"

Former Employee - Underwriting Specialist Ll in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Specialist Ll in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exception and affordable benefits package

Cons

Over worked and under paid

Advice to Management

Be an asset to your team. Be sincere and good to your employees

"Director"

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fannie Mae had great pay and benefits

Cons

But it came at a cost. Say one bad thing and you're toast. You cannot disagree with officers, and if you do, your career will be put on hold through nefarious means - fewer staff reporting to you, no new projects, no visibility, etc. It's the slow death.

Advice to Management

Time for housecleaning.

3. "Wasted potential"

Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reston Crescent is a pleasant office with a great vibe and fantastic, diversified staff who are great to work with. Good benefits and above average pay for area. Abundant corporate and staff sponsored employee engagement programs and team building events. It’s truly a fun environment.

Cons

Executive leadership is so preoccupied doing everything except identifying and addressing the company’s true underlying challenges and incompetencies, which has left them hopelessly out of touch with their staff. They grasp onto every latest and greatest development and organizational methodology “du jour,” reap all of the glory for introducing a fresh idea to the company, and then push deployment of that fresh idea to their hopelessly overloaded middle management without any guidance, support and, in many cases, budget.

The biggest challenge of the company is that there are far too many people in the wrong roles. Technical people are doing process/project management work and analysts are performing in technical roles. People are shuffled around the company with no regard to their skill set or even job preference. While in many cases this shuffling is done for budget alignment and/or to save an individual whose role was eliminated, in the end this practice serves only to disrupt the masses, resulting in poorly defined and communicated processes, excessive task complexity and redundancy, and a lot of ticked off staff who are frustrated when they learn that the very task they’ve been putting their heart and soul into has also been delegated to another team or staff member.

Advice to Management

Use consultants to more clearly define teams and organizational roles and competencies, and assess staffing against those role definitions. Stand up and provide a budget for a legitimate internal mobility program to support efforts to get the right people in roles where they can truly be successful. You have a great staff and they deserve no less.

4. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Administrative Support IV in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Support IV in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission statement, salary, vacation and benefits.

Cons

Moving to new building with open floor plan.

5. "Working for fanniemae"

Current Employee - Applications Development Analysis Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Applications Development Analysis Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's going through a huge tech transformation, great time to be part of FannieMae.

Cons

Technology has way too many roles and hierarchy producing little output for the manpower they currently have.

Advice to Management

"Do your job" should be the mantra. Too much emphasis on performance had resulted in people stepping on each other toes without actually doing their own job.

6. "Unstable"

Current Employee - Project Manager III in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager III in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They compensate their employees well.

Cons

unstable, every few months expect a re-organization

Advice to Management

Stop loosing your valuable, experience employees, and improve on the moral by figuring out the direction and stay with it.

7. "claims analyst"

Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance is good

Cons

not many new jobs in last few years.

8. "Financial Analyst I"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They provide great benefit and pay

Cons

Limited opportunities for career advancement

"Sr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, benefits are competitive, work from home policy liberal depending on your boss.

Cons

I worked for Fannie Mae for about 4 yrs, a little over a year as a contractor and the rest as an FTE. My nick name for Fannie Mae is "Stepford" after the famous original movie and remake. Everyone walks around there with a fake "installed" smile on their face. They will drink the Kool-Aid or they will be gone! I was pulled over by my boss in the hallway for coughing on a conference call. If you have seen the original or remake of the movie "Stepford Wives" you will get the idea. My professional IT career stretches 37 years and I've worked for many different organizations during that time. Never have I worked for an organization more concerned about the slightest “real” emotion emoted. No expressed frustration allowed, no expressed anger allowed. OK, I can hear you, this is someone with no social skills or someone who doesn’t know how to behave at work. NO, I can assure you I’m not some crazy overly emotional person who runs up and down the hallways screaming that the sky is falling or acting like my hair is on fire. I’m a real person, and real people occasionally get frustrated and angry.
    I transferred to my 2nd of two positions during my stint at Fannie a year before I was “laid off”. I had 4 managers during that 1 year period of time. What you see on Glassdoor reviews about re-orgs is absolutely true ─ very frequent. They also execute lay-offs about once a quarter. Maybe not unlike some organizations, but hopefully unlike most organizations, they use this lay off cycle to get rid of people they don’t like and don’t want to be bothered with going through formal HR steps that are required “in writing” by the organization to work with the employee to guide the performance of the employee to be more in line with their position or with the desires of their manager.
    I was told by a colleague that my boss told said colleague that he thought I was a horrible PM (20+yrs experience) and that he planned to “manage me out”, i.e. make me so miserable I would “self-migrate” . My bosses actions had already started to mimic that kind of behavior. He was visibly, with malice of foresight, getting in the way of me doing the job I was hired to do. After 37+ yrs as a professional, it’s not like I’ve never seen this behavior before, but it had never been directed at me personally. If you’ve never had this happen to you, well, great for you! If so, I feel your pain.
    This behavior stopped at some point after I confronted my manager, but the giant had just gone to sleep. Next lay off, yep, I was gone. Three days later, my old job was posted on the job boards. Never a single word was said to me by my boss that there was a single issue with my performance or any guidance to modify my behavior or deliver anything more or differently than the status quo.
    With the exception of my boss, and the director who must’ve been complicit, I loved the work I did at Fannie Mae. I was a “one stop shop” POC for the service my team provided. I received multiple service awards and multiple glowing emails from customers who were extremely pleased with the service I provided. I believe the issue was that I wasn’t subservient enough for my authoritarian boss who went to military boys school and has no college education what so ever.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that people are human beings either at work or not. I'm not suggesting that the organization tolerate behavior that requires anger management, but you are creating a culture of emotional robots that is toxic. Also, the policy of quarterly lay offs to "manage out" those that management just wants to "get rid of" through no issue of lack of performance, but simply due to a less than perfect personality fit between employee and manager should be ended. Not to mention, if you have to re-org every quarter or twice a year you have a bigger issue.

"Great if you like bureaucracy, political correctness, and working with incompetent people"

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Full time pay for part time work

Cons

Horrid management and leadership, many low quality employees who are unemployable at most other organizations, too much governance. Senior leadership acts like African despots who only care about themselves and not customers or employees. Horrific technology that constantly has outages.

Advice to Management

More like advice to taxpayers and the Trump administration. Take a hard look at how money is being spent at Fannie Mae. Tens of millions of dollars a year being spent on McKinsey, Accenture, and other consultants selling the management fad of the day. Taxpayers - this is your money which should be flowing to the Treasury Department!!!

Showing 898 of 1,000 reviews