Fannie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some work life balance, but also expect to work longer hours when mgmt expects deliverables with short turn around times (in 24 reviews)

• Senior management has SO MUCH experience they get into the weeds a bit much (in 27 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, including on-site emergency child care, vacation and sick leave, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc. Good people to work with to achieve company's mission.

Cons

Numerous locations in DC metropolitan area and constant reorganizations may result in an unanticipated commute. Executives aren't the most friendly group to work for.

Advice to Management

Do more to make employees feel valued.

2. "I LOVE my job!!!!!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Credit Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Credit Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at home (WAH) for more than half of my time at Fannie Mae. I have had 5 Managers in almost 5 years of working here, as a Contractor, Term Employee and permanent full time employee. I have adored 4 of them, and worked well with the other. I have gotten tremendous learning opportunities and offers of promotions (which I have chosen not to take for personal reasons). The benefits are good, including health, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability and a 401(K) match of 6 percent, plus an additional 2 percent! There is constant training which helps me improve my knowledge and skills.

Cons

Sometimes I feel a little insecure in my job stability. There is constant and repetitive QC of work. The offer of WAH is flip-flopped depending on the production requirements, so it cN be hard to plan sometimes.

Advice to Management

Let workers whose production and quality of work can be qualitatively and qualitavely assessed work at home. It is better for morale, employee satisfaction, the environment - and, quite frankly, could save you money in rent for fewer accommodations for employees coming into the office to work.

Fannie Mae Response

Nov 13, 2014 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience working at Fannie Mae. It’s great to hear that you have been taking advantage of the learning opportunities and valuable trainings at... More

3. "Employee over 5 years; total over 6 years; started as contractor."

Current Employee - Reviewer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Reviewer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Happy with my manager who does not micro-manage. If we need time off for any reason, doctor appointments or personal reasons the manager allows it. Have learned allot and the work is challenging, helps me to be the best I can be at completing tasks and getting things done. No complaints about my co-workers or management - it has been a good experience working there. The only setback is not being allowed to work from home due to my position... whereas the lion's share of workers do work from home so it is very quiet in the office.

Cons

Politics; allot of egos to deal with, but if you can accept it for what it is just go with the flow and do your job that's the best way to deal with it; do not try to change it. The dept. grew from less than 20 folks to over 100 in the last five years; as it grew more people came along who were grandstanding to get ahead; if you can sit back and just watch it it is hilarious because there are no opportunities for advancement. There are chances to shine if given special projects but these are given to the manager's favorites. Despite the favoritism, I am happy with the company.

Advice to Management

Allow all workers to work from home, it would help with employee morale.

"Fannie Mae - great environment and skilled people"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive base salaries for the DC area
    Lots of change in the mortgage banking industry makes it unique place to work
    You get to work with lots of experienced people, and the best mortgage/MBS traders in the world

Cons

Constrained by regulators and obligation to treasury. Because of this certain benefits, perks, and compensation is lacking. It can be a struggle to get sign off on anything that costs money.

5. "Great place to work"

Pros

Professional atmosphere and great pay

Cons

Very few cons - great place

"A great place to work but challenging for women at the top"

Pros

Smart, dedicated people who know their stuff in a work environment that's pretty balanced. Pay is very good relative to other places.

Cons

Tough for women at senior management levels; hard to get a handle on the future of the organization; stymied by regulator

7. "Great organization, great partners"

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Excellent support and opportunities. One of the best firms that I have been involved with in the last 10 years. An excellent portfolio of opportunities. Great benefits and a forward looking company.

Cons

There are no negative things I have to say about Fannie Mae. I was always engaged on success orientated projects and once completed had ample opportunity to find a new niche for myself.

8. "Lead System Analyst"

Pros

Very good work culture in place

Cons

Need to improve on the process

Advice to Management

Very good employee recognition in place

"Application Quality Analyst II"

Current Employee - Applications Quality Analyst II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Applications Quality Analyst II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, company match 6% 401k plan and more.. I am still new and so far everything looks great!!!!

Cons

The hiring process could have been quick.. It almost took me about 2 months to get on board..

10. "10 years of Mortgage"

Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Loan Servicing Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance, great manager, incredible income, great co-workers

Cons

Laying off large number of employees

Showing 913 of 1,022 reviews