Fannie Mae Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fannie Mae CEO Tim Mayopoulos
Tim Mayopoulos

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits at Fannie Mae. Been here long enough to vouch for that. Support work-life, education, housing. The annual Help the Homeless evens are great as well

Cons

Nothing to complain about. Great place to work for. I have no complaints about working here. Management and co-workers are great to work with.

Advice to Management

Nothing

2. "An Engaged Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm impressed by the level of investment Fannie Mae places on employee engagement. They have a lot of internal communications content, employee resource group activities, and events to help us stay connected to the work other teams are doing.

Cons

There are a number of people that need to be involved in approvals for things that seem minor because of how easily things can easily be misinterpreted. It's unfortunate but perhaps necessary.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work you're doing to include employee feedback in decisions that will impact them, and keeping them informed about the progress Fannie Mae is making.

"It's like the mafia - easy to get in, hard to get out"

Current Employee - Project Manager III in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager III in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fannie Mae can be a great place to work. There are often opportunities to move around within the organization, and if you have a manager that is looking out for you, you can spend your career there. The pay is pretty good. The benefits are above average, and, again depending on your manager, the hours can be flexible. As a single father, I really appreciate that.

There is also a strong sense of giving back to the community. Employees can take hours each month for volunteering, and one week a year, everyone in the company is encouraged to participate in "7 Days to SERVE," which includes company-organized volunteering events for individuals and teams.

Cons

The pay can be golden handcuffs and the culture can lead to complacency. Personally, I don't find the work hat I'm doing very challenging. I could do my job in about 5 hours a day. But since it's not very hard, I tend to make it stretch to fill the day. If the work were more interesting or more challenging, I would be more efficient. And after being here for several years, I wonder if I can work at another company. Has the drive been sucked out of me?

Also, executives are very management-fad-oriented. They are a large company but they try way too hard to act like a startup. They do reorgs way too frequently, to the point that it affects productivity. Rumors fly about heads being cut on certain Fridays. In my group of 10 people, we easily lose 1-2 days of work in the week before one of these Fridays. And they seem to happen 4-8 times a year.

The industry is also in flux. It's unclear what the government is going to do with Fannie and Freddie.

Advice to Management

Stop chasing the latest fad. Stop trying to be the cool kid on the block. Act your age. It's good to evolve, but change simply for the sake of change just causes pain for your employees.

5. "Wasted potential"

Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reston Crescent is a pleasant office with a great vibe and fantastic, diversified staff who are great to work with. Good benefits and above average pay for area. Abundant corporate and staff sponsored employee engagement programs and team building events. It’s truly a fun environment.

Cons

Executive leadership is so preoccupied doing everything except identifying and addressing the company’s true underlying challenges and incompetencies, which has left them hopelessly out of touch with their staff. They grasp onto every latest and greatest development and organizational methodology “du jour,” reap all of the glory for introducing a fresh idea to the company, and then push deployment of that fresh idea to their hopelessly overloaded middle management without any guidance, support and, in many cases, budget.

The biggest challenge of the company is that there are far too many people in the wrong roles. Technical people are doing process/project management work and analysts are performing in technical roles. People are shuffled around the company with no regard to their skill set or even job preference. While in many cases this shuffling is done for budget alignment and/or to save an individual whose role was eliminated, in the end this practice serves only to disrupt the masses, resulting in poorly defined and communicated processes, excessive task complexity and redundancy, and a lot of ticked off staff who are frustrated when they learn that the very task they’ve been putting their heart and soul into has also been delegated to another team or staff member.

Advice to Management

Use consultants to more clearly define teams and organizational roles and competencies, and assess staffing against those role definitions. Stand up and provide a budget for a legitimate internal mobility program to support efforts to get the right people in roles where they can truly be successful. You have a great staff and they deserve no less.

6. "Cyber Security Analyst"

Current Contractor - Cyber Security Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Contractor - Cyber Security Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance; great management support and leadership; good working environment; volunteer opportunities; people are very nice, professional, and helpful

Cons

Nothing to complain about. Really like this company, and the people here. And the management are willing to support and help

7. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fannie Mae had great pay and benefits

Cons

But it came at a cost. Say one bad thing and you're toast. You cannot disagree with officers, and if you do, your career will be put on hold through nefarious means - fewer staff reporting to you, no new projects, no visibility, etc. It's the slow death.

Advice to Management

Time for housecleaning.

8. "Customer Engagement"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and a lot of nice people. Felt utilized and a part of the team.

Cons

Slightly disorganized at the start of the internship.

9. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Administrative Support IV in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Support IV in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission statement, salary, vacation and benefits.

Cons

Moving to new building with open floor plan.

10. "Working for fanniemae"

Current Employee - Applications Development Analysis Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Applications Development Analysis Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's going through a huge tech transformation, great time to be part of FannieMae.

Cons

Technology has way too many roles and hierarchy producing little output for the manpower they currently have.

Advice to Management

"Do your job" should be the mantra. Too much emphasis on performance had resulted in people stepping on each other toes without actually doing their own job.

11. "Unstable"

Current Employee - Project Manager III in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager III in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They compensate their employees well.

Cons

unstable, every few months expect a re-organization

Advice to Management

Stop loosing your valuable, experience employees, and improve on the moral by figuring out the direction and stay with it.