Fantastic Sams Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fantastic Sams President & CEO Linda Chadwick
Linda Chadwick

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits/continuing education (in 8 reviews)

• I have made less than minimum wage at another location (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great owner"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Fantastic Sams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team even better owner.

Cons

Payis shameful for all the hard work , lazy co workers, favoritism, education format isn't productive, although better than other chop shops.

Advice to Management

Better pay ,better benefits, hire manager who is not your top stylist. This is a mistake all these salons make. They can't manage properly when they are too bisy working on clients.

2. "Horrible environment super Low pay hard hours no benefits"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Fantastic Sams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to meet new people and interact . They definitely supply great stations to work out. Great sinks .I would write more but there's not very many pros this workplace I worked there for three years

Cons

Bad management super low deceiving pay scale there is no room to move up and have seen many people just barely start to quit after working there for 20+ years

3. "Stylist review"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Fantastic Sams part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You're learning, and making a lot of tips if you really take care of clients.
    Good on going training, you'll learn things here if you dedicate yourself to learning.

Cons

My location is understaffed, men are pickier than women, and they have no receptionist personnel. If you're not very experienced with hair you'll get put to work alone momentarily at points during the day.

Advice to Management

None

4. "Owner\manager"

Former Employee - Franchise Owner in Cromwell, CT
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner in Cromwell, CT

I worked at Fantastic Sams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working with people and making them happy

Cons

long hours -low pay- not enough time off

Advice to Management

give more bonuses to your stylists. Give them more time off for vacations.

5. "Great co-workers (including management)"

Former Employee - Stylist in Missouri City, TX
    Former Employee - Stylist in Missouri City, TX

I worked at Fantastic Sams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hair done for free, independence, nice management and decent pay. Some paid education offered. My salon took appointments which was great.

Cons

Little in the way of benefits, every customer is using a coupon (and it counts away from productivity), management takes most of the opening shifts.

Advice to Management

Offer better pay, do not count coupons against stylist, better insurance, and more schedule flexibility.

6. "Fantastic Sams"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Fantastic Sams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of co-workers at a single salon, so you got to interact with many different stylists. Other than scissors/clippers all supplies provided, capes, clips. Advanced training offered. Get the opportunity to do tons of haircuts. More then 20+ a day easily. The specific salon I was at was busy from the moment the doors were unlocked until the moment we closed.

Cons

Major downside to technique, blow drying, even without a brush, was an up sell. So if it was a tricky haircut that you needed to see dry to perfect, and the client refused to pay for the blow-dry... then you couldn't see your finished style to make sure it laid correctly. Punished new employees, hired straight out of hair school, for not being as fast or as good as more seasoned stylists. Offered advanced training, but was very difficult to get signed up for any extra classes. I started very excited for the job, but instead of feeling inspired I ended up feeling dread in going to work. I went on to work for other salons, and had much better experience and was allowed to grow. Its a lot less creative hair salon, less about the artistry of doing hair and more about pumping out clients.

Advice to Management

When hiring new stylists who are new to the field, be aware that they are an investment vs. hiring a 15 year experienced stylist. If you hire a freshly licensed stylist then be prepared to give more coaching and training. If your salon doesn't have the ability to help a newer stylist along at the moment, then it is more fair and responsible to both your salon and the new stylist to choose not to employ them.

7. "Needs reception personel ASAP"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fantastic Sams part-time

Pros

Friendly staff, accomadate your hrs. Very helpful to new staff

Cons

Not having a receptionist to accomadate greeting customers,answering phones,folding towels sweeping and running the register. as it keeps the staff away from doing their Job to do what should be done by a receptionist. It's unfair to the customer as they're not getting good customer from the preoccupied stylist. It also creates a serious lack of communication between the customers and staff not to mention the revenue being lost to the owner due to the stylist stopping several times while trying to perform a service.

Advice to Management

Get a receptionist.

8. "People i work there were mean."

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Fantastic Sams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They're were fast at their job and gave ok cuts.

Cons

High over turn. Bad scheduling. Staff had bad attitudes,to much required overtime

Advice to Management

Pick better managers

9. "Easy breezy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Fantastic Sams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people. Easy process. Good environment. Great place to start as an new stylist. Good training program and lots of support.

Cons

Not the place if you're looking for high end. This is more of an in and out kinda place. They expect speed and quality

Advice to Management

I don't have much to say. Do your thing. You get what you put in as is true anywhere

10. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Very open door. Fair and great executive team. Enjoyed working their, a very big team effort. All expectations communicated well. Great Company however they sold

Cons

small but growing very innovative so there is a lot to learn, private company so confidentiality is in every aspect which probably is not a bad thing but they sold francishe

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management they do a great job, great work environment and loved my co workers. sad they sold