Fantasy Flight Games Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Christian T. Petersen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I loved working here but..."

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits (company money to buy games, large discount, holiday parties), associates were a fun and an amazing group to work for.

Cons

HR wasn't very helpful at times and seemed unprofessional. It was always hard to get in contact with your own management person. Execs acted like they were above the rest of the employees

Advice to Management

Talk to your subordinates and keep a friendly face.

"All that Glitters Is Not Gold"

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll work with some of the best humans you'll ever meet. Thats it. FFG/ANA would like you to think that their perks are pros, but snacks, PTO, and health insurance are not perks to brag about, they're the bare minimum for a major company in 2017, and it means even less when they'll pay you $10,000 or more less than what you deserve or could earn elsewhere. They'll even give you a document yearly showing you how much you make when they add together all the "amazing perks" you receive, because you should be so grateful to work there. This is a common theme, see below.

Cons

Let me presume to put myself in your shoes. "Holy crap, Fantasy Flight Games, Asmodee North America has offered me an interview to work for them. Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, some of the coolest IPs in any industry and I'll get to work with them on a daily basis. This has got to be a dream, because this looks and sounds like a dream job." I know, its exciting. I was there 2 years ago. I moved my whole life to Minnesota across the country because this job sounded so cool. Now I'll tell you what someone had the foresight to tell me before I got hired, but was too numbed by the glamour of Star Wars to hear. The exact reason you're so excited to work there, is the exact reason why you'll be used, abused, and discarded from that company without as so much of a second thought. There's thousands of people standing right behind you dying to get their ID Pass into the offices, so when they say they'll pay you minimum $10k under what your salary could bring anywhere else you'll take it, cause Star Wars! When they pile work on top of you so heavy that you're working through the weekend multiple weekends in a row without as much as a thank you, they wont care about how you're feeling about it cause whats the worst case, you quit and they replace you in a week. When it comes time for a review and they give you a comically low raise, a raise so low it'll be a decade before you see any actual substantial change in your compensation, they wont care. They cut low raises across the board because the best cause scenario in this instance is you quit, and they can hire someone for cheaper than what they've been paying you since you got your first raise. I cant speak for every department, but I can speak for quite a few of them. If you're dream is to start low on the totem pole and work your way up to a high level management role, heck even a middle to low level management role, bad news bears for you. Every role of power in this company is held by a lifer. People who've been with FFG since its early days and at this point is like an animal raised in captivity. They've spent so long in their cage that if you released them to the wild they'd crumble. Perfect example is one of the managers there quit to go out into the wild and pursue an ad agency job, only to find no one operates like FFG/ANA does so they came back and got their old job and will never leave again. There is no upward mobility for your career there. You wont develop a career, you'll get stuck in the same position doing the same thing for your life. Unless of course you win brownie points by sucking up to executives, and honestly the best advice I can give you if you're planning on trying that path, be a man. I've never seen a woman rise the ranks on the backs of favors from executives.

Advice to Management

If you really don't know why your turnover is high and your morale is low, you deserve the collapse that your conglomerate is inevitably speeding towards.

"Developer"

Current Employee - Developer in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Developer in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FFG is home to some of the biggest sci-fi, fantasy, and gaming enthusiasts anywhere. If it falls anywhere within "nerd/geek" culture, somebody at FFG is into it. And almost everyone is super friendly and fun to hang out with.

Pretty good amount of vacation.

Good employee discount for company products.

Cons

The leadership/management style at the highest levels is toxic, and it trickles down throughout the organization. A VP has flat out told me he tries to avoid ever telling the CEO "no" for any reason, because of how poorly the CEO reacts to any bad news.

Morale is low. Deserving people are passed up for promotion, competent people are fired for no discernible reason. Incompetent middle and upper management are shielded because they were friends with the CEO back in the day. Professional opinions from people that are experts in their field with years of experience are ignored because some executive (with no training or experience in the field) felt like it.

Salaries are poor at best. There's a yearly raise at review time, but it barely covers normal cost of living increases / inflation.

There is almost no opportunity for advancement. They might tell you they do a lot of internal hiring, but that is mostly either recruiting hourly people from the retail store and warehouse to the lowest level studio positions, or people just shuffling around to a different department to try something new.

Advice to Management

Support your employees. Trust your employees. Figure out some way to stand up to the CEO.

4. "quantitative analyst"

I worked at Fantasy Flight Games (Less than a year)

Pros

good work environment; and good compensation

Cons

holiday and vacation is short

"Morally crooked and compromised, just wait and see how it all unfolds.."

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time

Pros

This is a great company and great if you’re starting out. They are growing incredibly fast and are having a hard time keeping/catching up, but this means you’re able to learn a diverse set of skills.

The immediate people you work side by side with to your direct manager are wonderful.

Benefits are good, especially the PTO which is not accrued.

They usually promote internally, so hard work and loyalty pay off (mostly in the title).

Games are awesome and you get to play a lot of them.

People from the industry are awesome as well.

Cons

Morale is at an all-time low: sexism, gas-lighting, micromanagement, and fear mongering are all things we have to deal with here, unfortunately. HR was introduced but seems like they are the voice of the executives and only cater to management.

People who've been here a long time are quitting or getting fired without an explanation or notification. There is no transparency here and it's created an environment of fear.

The whole non-exempt salary situation was a severe letdown. We were convinced it was for our own protection and the immediate disregard for it made it clear that no one cares…”We’re doing this awesome thing, we care! …..Just kidding, please ignore”.

Salary compensation is poor in comparison to how much they expect of you.

Advice to Management

Over the last couple years, business is up, but moral is at an all time low.

We’re scared, we’re angry, and we’re disappointed. Live up to your potential!

Make your people feel appreciated because we are not okay. Value the community and your employees more than the bank you work for. The community and employees are your foundations, and the more stable these are, the better everything will become.

*Listen* to your people and don’t be afraid to put other executives in their place.

"Run"

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time

Pros

Benefits are great.
    Ability to adjust hours and start times.
    PTO.
    State of the art facility/software.

Cons

Benefits are great - they will make sure you know how great they are, constantly reminding you how grateful you should feel.
    Lack of training.
    Poor communication.
    Company does not value employees, you are easily replaced - which you will be reminded of.
    Gas-lighting management mentality.
    Low diversity.
    Upper leadership micromanagement.
    No room for advancement.
    Below industry standard pay.

Advice to Management

Really try to work with your teams and quit gas-lighting. You claim to want a collaborative environment - mean it.

"Us vs Them"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people of FFG (and related companies Asmodee North America, WindRider, and the Fantasy Flight Games Center) are just amazing, and are such a pleasure to be with day in and out. There is just a strong pro-game environment that permeates every level of the company, that you never feel judged or unwelcome for just being yourself. Everything else in my review ultimately falls by the wayside when compared to the people here. They are incredible, and the reason I continue to get up every morning and do this job.

The benefits are fantastic. As mentioned in other reviews, the paid leave, the employee discount, and the health insurance are all fantastic. The additional fringe benefits of working in such an amazing industry, and being so closely involved with the production of these amazing games can really make the days easier. The pay is so-so. I've heard people complain about how it could be better (and it could), but it doesn't bother me that much.

Though changes are slow and lumbering, they do happen. In the time that I've been here (prior to the Asmodee merger), I've seen it transform in many different ways. It seems that the company does genuinely try to improve things.

Cons

Management seems to be okay with the environment of fear they have (possibly unintentionally) created. Seemingly random firings of well-respected employees, which are then swept under the rug -- instead of being talked about in an open and honest way -- has made employees nervous and fearful for their jobs. Management has done nothing to address these fears.

As mentioned above, it does feel like the company makes genuine efforts to make things better, but these changes are often far to little, and far too late. It really feels like the vast majority of the veteran employees stick around either because 1) they're chummy with the CEO and have earned themselves a comfy paycheck for little actual work; or 2) they've convinced themselves that they won't get a better deal elsewhere, and that things are improving at a fast enough pace that they're okay with it. That's it: either scheme your way into a good job, or grit your teeth.

Advancement is a joke. They lure you with the carrot, and then just completely deny the carrot was ever an option later on. Unless you're interested in more work at no additional pay, you will probably stay in whatever position you got hired in indefinitely.

Advice to Management

Listen -- actually listen -- to your employees and what they're saying. We really believe in this company and what we're all trying to do here, and we're ready to do whatever it takes. I know this company is your baby and was founded on your ideas, but it has since grown well beyond you, and its time for you to recognize that and let the people you hired actually do the jobs you hired them to do.

8. "Creative shop for creative people"

Pros

People - The people are amazing. Very talented, hard-working, no egos or overly aggressive ladder climbers. Down to earth, solid people with a variety of interests.

Games - let’s face it, we make games. We work with killer brands and make killer games. Does it get any better?

Cons

Pay - It’s not great. You can definitely make more money elsewhere. Maybe not in this industry, but there are much higher paying jobs out there.

Communication - Needs a lot of work. Communication between departments, between business units, etc all needs to improve.

Growing pains - we’re growing, fast. There are positives to that, but the sudden explosive growth can bring a lot of growing pains, ever-shifting priorities, and constant deadline pressure. This will probably stabilize at some point, but it’s a challenge right now.

Advice to Management

We're not 30 people anymore. We need to scale our team and resources and collaborate better to fit our new company. We're a big boy company now that still operates like we're in danger of going under any day now.

Trust your managers and VP's and officers to do their job. Not everything has to be decided by the CEO.

Stop stepping over nickels to pick up pennies.

"Better than advertised"

Current Employee - Developer/Producer in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Developer/Producer in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are the least bit eclectic or have tastes that are considered strange, not to worry. There isn't a "normal" person working there and you'll fit right in! I honestly didn't even know people so similar to me existed. What a fun bunch of coworkers.

No matter what department you work in, there always seems to be opportunities to express your creativity and contribute to the design and development of the wonderful products they make. If you enjoy being creative in spurts, even better.

Though the company has gotten some bad press regarding mismanagement, I just don't see it. They aren't perfect, but I feel management is constantly trying to improve upon the work they do and seek nothing but the best for us as a work force. Yes, I work overtime (without pay) on occasion, but no one has ever forced me to do so. In fact, for every person who has worked overtime, there are at least a couple who punch the clock when their shift ends every day without reprisal or reprimand. It is an individual choice.

If you like games (why are you working here if you don't), there are some fantastic industry perks, including major discounts and even free product. Though it doesn't specifically have cash value, it's equivalent cash value is substantial.

Cons

Communication needs work, specifically at the upper management levels. It's all a work in progress but at the current moment there are definitely frustrating gaps that appear constantly.

Training is minimal and organic rather than continuos and structured. This may be enjoyable for those who enjoy personal freedom to explore, but for anyone who is bothered by having to "sink" before you can "swim", this is extremely frustrating.

Advancement is minimal at best. Perhaps just a result of the company being so small, there is no where else to advance to other than adding the meaningless "Senior" designation to your title. And perhaps even worse, the industry as a whole has very little job opportunities, so leaving isn't even an option.

Advice to Management

Meritocracy is not the best fit for a small business like ours. Promote based on management skills, not aptitude in the previous position. Not all home run hitters make great coaches and not all great coaches used to be home run hitters. Those skills are likely not even to be used as you advance, so promoting someone with such advanced skills only depletes that departments skill pool.

"A Precarious Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Producer
    Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at Fantasy Flight Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite it being overall a bad work environment with poor management and low morale, there are a few good things about working at Fantasy Flight. The name has prestige and will open doors for you in the future, which you will need since there is little chance for advancement in the company itself.

Most of my coworkers are great, though they recently divided the company between Asmodee and FFG so now half of the cool people I used to be able to see daily, have lunch with, play games with, can't even come over to the FFG side of things. People used to be more fun to, but as morale drops coworkers get stressed out and crabby, which lowers morale more, etc.

You get to make cool games! Well, sometimes. The mandates are often pretty heavily, and while sometimes you get creative freedom, other times what you would like to do gets thrown out the door over the opinion of a manager who played 10 minutes of a prototype. This of course will cause delays, which you of course will be blamed for. They told us that nothing would change from the merger, but over the course of the past year it went from quality first to deadlines, deadlines, deadlines, even if the product isn't at its best.

Cons

The management doesn't trust its employees. Our time is micromanaged to make sure we aren't a few minutes late or that we are hard at work every moment of the day, even as they expect to volunteer their time for special events, warehouse work, and to come in on weekends to take care of impending deadlines that they set up purposefully tight.

We all had hope when last year an HR department head was finally hired thinking that it would be a way to get some positive change in the company. While there seemed to be some improvement, but HR rapidly became another tool for the management to crack down on employees instead of a path of healthy communication between employee and management.

At the time I was hired I thought the pay was pretty descent, and the time off policy was pretty good. Since then I have learned how below average the pay is, and that if you actually use your time off management grumbles quite a bit about your deadlines and such. Apparently it is better than it used to be, but still not great.

Morale is pretty terrible these days. The lack of trust from management, the seemly arbitrary changes to projects in the middle, the miscommunications between departments, etc. Healthy practices such as employees helping each other out on projects and employees coming up with original ideas to submit to the company are frowned upon.

These are all issues that the entire employee base brought forward to HR a year ago in a company wide survey, and while there has been a few pittance changes (a daily snack cart, VPs submitting positive glassdoor reviews to offset all the bad ones), for the most part things have gotten worse in most regards.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage creative employees properly. Actually invest in your employees rather then push them until they burn out and then toss them aside since its easy enough to hire new ones. But hey, I guess its working for now, so why change?