FareHarbor Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2020

3.4
FareHarbor CEO Max Valverde (no image)
Max Valverde
Pros
  • "Excellent work-life balance with top-notch benefits(in 10 reviews)

• "Good work environment, great business model, true interest on growing business partners revenue(in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company with the best product in an untapped market!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at FareHarbor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

FareHarbor has the best product in a relatively untapped market providing some great opportunities for all employees especially Account Executives. As an Account Executive you have a large amount of autonomy and are required to think critically on a daily basis. Account Executives that work hard and problem solve rise to the top in compensation (commission) and thrive in the role. There are endless opportunities in upward mobility for employees willing to be patient as new positions in the company continue to open up. Being in the tourism industry there are awesome opportunities to travel and partake in our client's experiences. It is great to work at a sales job where the software & service I am selling adds value to the businesses that use it. As a company FareHarbor continues to make the right long term product decisions in an increasingly competitive space. A rising tide lifts all boats and it is exciting to be apart of the FareHarbor team.

Cons

As a rapidly growing company in a new market there are certainly some growing pains such as not enough experienced managers and lack of structure but is that the worst problem to have? There simply are not enough experienced employees to hold new employees hands for a long period of time. Problem solving skills and intrinsic motivation is critical.

People Team

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review and share your experience! We couldn’t agree more - it is absolutely exciting being able to work at FareHarbor and see all of the incredible ways we are adding value to so many businesses. As you mentioned, we are a fast-growing company in a very nimble industry, but we have taken concrete steps to ensure that all of our managers are being trained and given the proper tools to be successful, and we are working every day to create more structure across the board. We will continue to be thoughtful about all of our decisions, and thank you for your dedication and hard work as an Account Executive! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to the People Team directly if you would like to continue this discussion!

2. "Was Good, Still Good"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at FareHarbor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of autonomy in your role, regardless of the position or department you're in. Things used to be more fluid - you could change processes quicker, get your hands on larger scale initiatives, this has evolved as the company has grown. You still have the freedom to improve the job and expand your skills, tons of internal resources to lean on as well, it's just not as fast-paced as it once was. The people & the product!! Truly feel like we're empowering our clients to operate more efficient businesses with the software, which is incredibly fulfilling. The people here are INCREDIBLE! You learn a ton. Came in with zero product knowledge, feel like I can move into any industry space with what I've picked up here.

Cons

The office is not my favorite. We've upgraded spaces every couple years when we expand on headcount, hopefully we can reinvest money in a better location and office setting. New CEO is not as involved or approachable as the previous one was. Only talks about Sales because he came from the Sales department, but he's not involved at all so it doesn't impact the day-to-day much at all.

Continue reading

"Fun company, some issues with management"

4.0

I worked at FareHarbor full-time

Pros

The people are awesome. The work is fun, too, but the people really do make this place. It’s a great place to start after college.

Cons

Upper management and some of the directors are really difficult to work with. They don’t always make their expectations clear and there are some relationships between managers that tend to create weird biases between teams. There’s also not a ton of upward career trajectory and they’re not super transparent about where the company is going. I have a feeling I was lied to a lot by management when I worked there. You’re asked to work weekends without additional pay occasionally.

People Team

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave this review. We’re so happy to hear your thoughts on our Ohana and we completely agree with you - the incredible people here are what makes FareHarbor, FareHarbor. As you mentioned, we experienced exponential growth over the last few years as a company and have certainly passed the point of startup phase. Because of this, we have been working extremely hard to implement new processes, structure, and more, while still remaining nimble and flexible. We have put a huge focus on developing our leaders and providing them with trainings and resources so they can manage their teams as effectively as possible, which includes equipping them with the necessary tools to assess employee performance and career progression. We can assure you that transparency is always top of mind for us and will continue to be a number one priority as we progress as a company. Thank you again for your time in writing this review - we are always appreciative of the opportunity to hear past and current employee feedback. If you would like to discuss anything further please feel free to send an email to hr.us@fareharbor.com. Best of luck with all of your endeavors!

"Disorganized, low salaries, and nepotism"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at FareHarbor full-time

Pros

- Rapidly changing directions allow you to quickly gain experience - They hire very intelligent, hard working lower level employees (nice to work with smart coworkers) - The software works well and serves clients easily.

Cons

- Salaries are exceptionally low for Denver and a company that's no longer a start-up. - Very strange culture. Multiple managers are dating, many employees are hooking up with each other. It's a party hard, work harder environment. - Promotions are not given on merit. It's mostly related to whether you're dating a coworker or drink with your manager outside of work. There were frequent rumors of people vaping or doing drugs in call rooms. - The majority of their workforce is under the age of 27 - there is an element of ageism in hiring (possibly due to the ability to pay less, not pay on benefits, and overall manipulate). - They frequently abuse the DWIFT motto to justify no work/life balance. - Horrible office environment; not enough bathrooms or supplies for 200+ people, continuous leaking ceilings, incredibly loud due to that many people in one, open room. - The nepotism, emotional manipulation, and almost fraternity/sorority like management style is repeated frequently in hiring and promotions. - Overall, if you need your first job here out of college - take it and work a year. If you have work experience, look elsewhere.

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please know that your voice is heard and we take all employee feedback very seriously. First and foremost, we are happy to hear your thoughts about our software, our incredible team, and the fact that you can gain valuable experience here while making a true impact on our company. Over the past few years we have experienced rapid growth, and with that can come some growing pains. We are continuously learning, evolving, and improving, and one major way we can do this is by hearing from past and current employees. We can see that you have a lot to say and have feedback that touches on a wide array of topics. Because of this, we would love to discuss some of your points in greater detail and encourage you to set-up a time to chat with a member of our HR team by reaching out to hr.us@fareharbor.com. We are looking forward to speaking with you and thank you again for leaving this review.

5. "Fast paced and growing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at FareHarbor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fareharbor Denver was fun, energetic, and fast-paced.

Cons

A little disorganized, but growing into itself.

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We agree with you that our office environment is full of energy which keeps us inspired, motivated, and excited to take on every day with our colleagues. As we have experienced such rapid growth over the last few years, we have certainly had to (and will continue to) remain nimble, adapt as we go, and implement processes and procedures that become necessary along the way. We hear you and agree with you when it comes to diversifying our workforce. We are continuously working towards creating a more diverse & inclusive environment and have taken concrete steps in the right direction while also recognizing we have more work to do. Most recently, we have created Diversity & Inclusion working groups, revamped our hiring process so it minimizes unconscious bias, and created internal channels and pages where employees can connect and discuss important topics related to inclusion. Thank you again for your feedback, and should you like to discuss anything further please feel free to email hr.us@fareharbor.com. Best of luck with everything!

"Overall great place to work and make a name for yourself alongside AMAZING people!"

4.0
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at FareHarbor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are #1 on my list. I speak highly of this company based on the people aspect. Not that it's a goal at all within a company to make friends, but I got to know and befriend some amazing people at FH. Everyone, for the most part, is a hard worker and willing to do their part even when given a weighty task which speaks highly of a company in my eyes. Unlike the other reviews, I want to encourage management. Yes, there may be some inexperienced managers in the group, but I can confidently say they care a significant amount about their employee's success. Most managers became managers because of their hard work and many of the reviews are critical because a good amount of the young/immature employees do not understand a healthy manager to employee relationship due to lack of experience. I can confidently say, that most managers fight for their employee's voices to be heard and appreciated. The product is pretty great, but our service to our clients is what truly sets us apart from our competitors. You can make a name for yourself here! Work hard and your work is recognized even if you don't think it is. The hardest workers get rewarded for their efforts for the most part. FH cultivates an environment in which you can leave a legacy behind and for that, I am truly grateful.

Cons

Just like any other company, there are cons at every level. The other reviews highlight lack of pay, to be honest, yes FH can pay their employees more, but from an individual contributor standpoint, I truly believe FH is paying pretty close to fair wages for the work accomplished. If you want to get paid more, then build some strong skills that will translate over to a higher paying job one day and find that job! Not sure if this is a true con, but more of an observation. The workforce is pretty young and with that comes some immature views on hierarchy. You hear some grumblings/complaining here and there, but as long as you keep a positive outlook and hard work at the forefront of your mindset, there is a huge opportunity for individual growth.

People Team

Thank you for writing this review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and hear more about your experiences at FareHarbor. We wholeheartedly agree with you - we have incredible people that work hard and care deeply about our clients, our industry, and each other. We have recently implemented a number of manager trainings to ensure we are consistently developing our leaders, and we will continue to put an emphasis on this. Investing in our employees has been and will always be our priority, and we truly enjoy hearing about your experience here - we are grateful for your 3+ years of hard work! Our Ohana is truly incredible, and your feedback is important in making sure that we continue to evolve, grow, and maintain our Aloha spirit along the way. Thank you again and best of luck with all of your endeavors!

7. "Horrid"

1.0
    Former Employee - Channel Development in Denver, CO

I worked at FareHarbor full-time for less than a year

Pros

room to forge your own path if you can put up with it!

Cons

nepotistic; lots of work politics; was a startup and you could TELL.

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate all past and current employee feedback and can assure you that your voice is heard. We agree with you that FareHarbor is absolutely a place where you can forge your own path and truly see the impact that you are making on the company. Although we have passed the startup phase, we do still like to maintain key aspects of working like a startup which includes remaining nimble, having a culture of speaking up, and constantly looking for ways to improve processes, procedures, and more. We’re very sorry to see some of the cons you listed about your experience, but can confidently say that we prioritize transparency and honesty in all situations and ensure that our decisions are made in a just and fair-minded manner. If you would like to discuss anything further, we would encourage you to send an email to hr.us@fareharbor.com. Thank you again and best of luck!

8. "Solid work for less than solid pay"

Former Employee - Railroad Conductor in Hyannis, MA

I worked at FareHarbor part-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable/flexible hours, leeway on shifts Passionate management, very knowledgeable about their field Great views!

Cons

communication issues Minimum wage limited advancement opportunities

"Run away"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Needham, MA

I worked at FareHarbor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awful managers. One bathroom. No one has any idea what’s going on.

Cons

I mean.... just don’t apply here. It’s the worst job you can have.

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We take all feedback very seriously and would encourage you to reach out to our HR team (hr.us@fareharbor.com) so we can set up a time to discuss your thoughts and better understand why you were dissatisfied. Thank you again and best of luck with your endeavors.

"Great Co-Workers But Low Pay"

2.0
    Former Employee - API

I worked at FareHarbor full-time

Pros

The best co-workers I have ever had any job, by a country mile. Pretty solid and above-average quality software that is better than the rest of the industry.

Cons

The reason I am giving two stars instead of negative fifty is because of the amazing co-workers I had. I also enjoyed the time spent with my team, in particular.

The misgivings I have about working at FH is mostly management and pay. I cannot speak for every department, but my manager was particularly inept at setting reasonable metrics and for giving us praise.

I did not hear word one about big wins, innovations, or process improvements I contributed, or my steadfast work ethic. Instead, my manager took time out of my day to highlight extremely minuscule and inconsequential mistakes that, in most cases, weren't mistakes at all.

My mental health and wellbeing suffered a drastic setback during my time at FH, due to this. The incredible, funny, and talented co-workers whom I met helped mitigate the circumstances, but ultimately I had to leave due to well below-average industry wages, an incompetent manager, and a culture of counterintuitive bureaucratic perfectionism.

A wise mentor and extremely successful businessman I knew, warned me about any company, brand, or organization, where the “Death By Meeting” phenomenon was prevalent. Unfortunately, this is very much the soup du jour at Fareharbor.

You can expect countless 1-on-1’s with your manager, team lead, the ghost of Rodney Dangerfield, etc. where nothing of consequence is ever discussed outside of the weather. It is a terribly inefficient waste of time and resources and the operational equivalent of eating wood chips. But hey, life is short and we'll all be worm-food someday. I don't wish ill upon anyone.

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! At FareHarbor we believe our strength lies in our people, and we’re happy to hear that you enjoyed working with your colleagues. We appreciate your constructive feedback and definitely hear you. In the last year, we have put an emphasis on providing tools, trainings, and resources for our managers to be as effective and well-prepared as possible, including but not limited to assessing employee performance and career progression in an objective manner. We’re very sorry to hear that you feel as if your mental health endured a setback. Our employee’s health, both physical and mental, are top priority to us which is why we have worked to create a safe environment where employees can share their thoughts and feelings so we can in-turn provide the best possible support. Again, thank you for providing us with your input. If you have any further questions, concerns or feedback to share, please feel free to reach out to us directly at hr.us@fareharbor.com and we would be more than happy to set-up a conversation with you. Best of luck with your endeavors!

Found 118 reviews