Farm Credit Bank of Texas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Larry R. Doyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Stability vs Growth? Also, Work Ethic"

Current Employee - Machine Operator
    Current Employee - Machine Operator

I have been working at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time

Pros

I'll try my best to offer a "comprehensive" well-rounded review. I do have to emphasize that the reviews will vary depending on the department you work for. Generally, if you're in a department that influences "business decisions" like Credit or Finance, you will have an experience that ranges from neutral to awesome.

The name Farm Credit Bank of Texas just sounds very official and influential. Especially when it's headquartered in one of the scenic areas of Austin, Texas. But that's just about it.

Good benefits.

Employees are friendly about 75% of the time (Disclaimer, %s are subjective).

If you find yourself within a good group, you will likely have a great work/life balance at a decent or reasonable salary. This means within the right conditions, this is a great stable company to work for.

Key words: Stable, Work Ethic, Neutral

Cons

If you're in a department that offers support to the departments above (also literally) like janitor up to accounting, you will have an experience that ranges from horrible to awesome.

The point above also leads me to say employees are "generally" friendly (up to 75%!) The disparity between the two groups is reason employees become contentious against each other and friendly to the ones with the same "level" or "status" One reviewer was right in saying "Misery loves company"

Location in Austin is traffic-heavy.

Yes, some reviews recount horrible experiences. But as a young professional who has experienced both disruptive/new companies like start-ups and tech vs a traditional established company like Farm Credit Bank, it matters mostly in attitude and approach.

Farm Credit is a great place to work on your "hard skills" such as accounting/programming/finance/credit but a bad place to work on your "soft skills" such as communication, empathy, leadership and creativity. If it's hard skills you're after, stop lamenting and get to work. Cruise and relax in stability afterwards.

But if you're looking to build leadership and communication skills, you'll have better luck somewhere else.

Key words: Old, Conservative, Rigid

Advice to Management

At least smile at a fellow contractor or machine operator.

Focus on growing your employees and your business will grow with them.

"Was a great place until consultant style management came in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people / workers are great. Benefits are good.

Cons

Can't trust management or HR to do what is right. Certain business areas are making all the decisions for the company and running it into the ground. Senior management only listens to a select few people, but prides itself on being open.

Advice to Management

Projects and management of the projects will run that place into the ground. Quit running off or letting go of great hard working people and look to see who they have in common.

"Awful"

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some staff are pleasant to work with. Some people may think the location is bad, but it's pretty central. The industry is great.

Cons

Your experience at the organization greatly depends on the department you work in. The department I worked in was terrible-very long hours, no flexibility, little/no opportunity for career advancement and management that talked down to staff. If you are considering working here ask questions....lots of them.....ask about turnover, work hours, management style, career advancement......you'll quickly figure out which department I am addressing in this review.

"Stable Company"

I have been working at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability... agriculture is a great industry to be in.
    Work/life balance. When I leave the office I'm usually done for the day and don't get many/any emails after business hours
    HR hosts fun events for employees

Cons

Feels like the good ole' boy network.
    Limited opportunity for advancement as most people in the organization are very tenured and don't plan on leaving any time soon.
    Very limited vacation and new hires can't negotiate for more PTO

"Great Company and friendly environment"

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time

Pros

Benefits, salary, flexibility, work life balance, perks, friendly and caring environment

Cons

not much room for advancement,

"Worst place I have ever worked"

I have been working at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time

Pros

Benefits are good and location is good even though there is some traffic.

Cons

Some departments are good to work in. Others such as IT and accounting are awful. In these areas there is a lot of overtime required, poor management, and morale is very low.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Providing funding for farming and agriculture businesses is an important mission, and when I worked there I was able to feel good about my company's work.

Cons

Difficult location on 360 by Pennybacker Bridge guarantees a difficult commute no matter where in town you live. Work hours were very inflexible and could change with little notice. Manager said he had no problem with us working from home, but never followed through by developing infrastructure for it, so we were never allowed to do it.

Management lied frequently about many things big and small. They enforced rules unevenly and arbitrarily. My manager in particular rode me hard for minor infractions and held me to a standard that nobody else on my team seemed to be held to. For instance, I was reprimanded for being two minutes late, once. (My manager said that his main concern was that I didn't call when I knew I was going to be late. But come on, it was two minutes. By the time I knew I was going to be late, I was already in the parking garage!) In one instance, I got in trouble for following a documented process, because my manager felt I should have used my judgment to know that the documented process wasn't the best way to handle that particular situation. I had many similar instances of being pulled aside and forced to devote a lot of energy to excusing, explaining, or apologizing for "mistakes" that felt completely made-up and took a disproportionate amount of time to deal with compared to the severity and consequences.

Other lies: A new product was piloted for my team, and we were told that it would not go live until our feedback was fully implemented. Zero changes from the beta were implemented before launch, and my department looked disorganized and foolish because we were not allowed to admit that the product was rolled out before it was ready. Here's another: My team lead stole a piece of equipment from my desk and let me worry for weeks while I couldn't find it, as "punishment" for leaving it out. He finally admitted what he had done in a meeting with our manager, who seemed to mildly disapprove of what he had done, but obviously not that much, since the team lead got promoted not long afterwards. And of course, the big one that a lot of big companies tell - "You're part of our family, and we want you to be happy here," less than two weeks before I was fired.

Eventually I was placed on an "Improvement Plan" with no clear guidelines on what was expected of me (other than "improve"). There were regular meetings at which my manager said I was progressing just fine, then one day I was fired. Good riddance. At the time my wife was seven months pregnant, and I had begun discussions with my manager about how to use FMLA to take time off and be with my family. Obviously we can't prove causation, but some friends encouraged me to pursue legal action. I didn't, because we had no spare energy with a newborn in the house.

I hated being fired, but I was very glad to be gone.

Advice to Management

Be clear, precise, and consistent with rules and their enforcement. Make expectations clear before holding employees to them. Be more receptive to feedback. And above all, just stop lying to your employees' faces.

"Project team"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and helpful people. However, it is hard to get a straight answer from anyone. Constantly, changing things including strategies and not sharing with the whole project team.

Cons

Management is great but I feel they don't offer a lot of feedback that could help you grow in the position

Advice to Management

Be honest to your employees whether they are contract or not. They deserve that.

"Not very welcoming group"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst In Development in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst In Development in Austin, TX

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas (Less than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to work on projects that will positively impact farmer's in Texas.

Cons

It seems like a company with the word "Texas " in their title would be friendly, or in the least professionally courteous. Nope. During Christmas time, none the less, they were rude abrasive, crude, and completely unprofessional. I was a contractor and I may have been invisible. Accept they put me un a cubicle smack dab in the middle of a very busy hallway next to an elevator. These are the social/ company related cons. Professionally speaking they used archaic tools. Over planned the project with Waterfall methodolgies that the developer dud not follow. Instead he took a really sumple project and over-developed it. This not only voided my development effort, it impacted the business analysis effort, it affected the test / QA group, as well. When I reported it, they ignored me because I was a contractor and he was a FTE. When the contract ended, I was relieved to move on and away from the archaic development practices of years gone by.

Advice to Management

Listen to the messenger even uf they are reporting things you do not want to hear. Do not schedule important projects that require many groups "extra efort " during the Holidays. It us a difficult time, all by itself. Adding stressful tasks when no-one is present to assist is a foolish waste of time.

10. "Great Place to Work!!"

Pros

The benefits are really good!

Cons

The location is a problem due to traffic.