Farm Credit Bank of Texas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Larry R. Doyle

1. "Great Company and friendly environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time

Pros

Benefits, salary, flexibility, work life balance, perks, friendly and caring environment

Cons

not much room for advancement,

"Too stressful with no work life balance"

Pros

The benefits are good and co-workers are pleasant.

Cons

Very stressful environment with a lot of overtime required. Very limited opportunities to advance your career.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Providing funding for farming and agriculture businesses is an important mission, and when I worked there I was able to feel good about my company's work.

Cons

Difficult location on 360 by Pennybacker Bridge guarantees a difficult commute no matter where in town you live. Work hours were very inflexible and could change with little notice. Manager said he had no problem with us working from home, but never followed through by developing infrastructure for it, so we were never allowed to do it.

Management lied frequently about many things big and small. They enforced rules unevenly and arbitrarily. My manager in particular rode me hard for minor infractions and held me to a standard that nobody else on my team seemed to be held to. For instance, I was reprimanded for being two minutes late, once. (My manager said that his main concern was that I didn't call when I knew I was going to be late. But come on, it was two minutes. By the time I knew I was going to be late, I was already in the parking garage!) In one instance, I got in trouble for following a documented process, because my manager felt I should have used my judgment to know that the documented process wasn't the best way to handle that particular situation. I had many similar instances of being pulled aside and forced to devote a lot of energy to excusing, explaining, or apologizing for "mistakes" that felt completely made-up and took a disproportionate amount of time to deal with compared to the severity and consequences.

Other lies: A new product was piloted for my team, and we were told that it would not go live until our feedback was fully implemented. Zero changes from the beta were implemented before launch, and my department looked disorganized and foolish because we were not allowed to admit that the product was rolled out before it was ready. Here's another: My team lead stole a piece of equipment from my desk and let me worry for weeks while I couldn't find it, as "punishment" for leaving it out. He finally admitted what he had done in a meeting with our manager, who seemed to mildly disapprove of what he had done, but obviously not that much, since the team lead got promoted not long afterwards. And of course, the big one that a lot of big companies tell - "You're part of our family, and we want you to be happy here," less than two weeks before I was fired.

Eventually I was placed on an "Improvement Plan" with no clear guidelines on what was expected of me (other than "improve"). There were regular meetings at which my manager said I was progressing just fine, then one day I was fired. Good riddance. At the time my wife was seven months pregnant, and I had begun discussions with my manager about how to use FMLA to take time off and be with my family. Obviously we can't prove causation, but some friends encouraged me to pursue legal action. I didn't, because we had no spare energy with a newborn in the house.

I hated being fired, but I was very glad to be gone.

Advice to Management

Be clear, precise, and consistent with rules and their enforcement. Make expectations clear before holding employees to them. Be more receptive to feedback. And above all, just stop lying to your employees' faces.

"Project team"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly and helpful people. However, it is hard to get a straight answer from anyone. Constantly, changing things including strategies and not sharing with the whole project team.

Cons

Management is great but I feel they don't offer a lot of feedback that could help you grow in the position

Advice to Management

Be honest to your employees whether they are contract or not. They deserve that.

"Not very welcoming group"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst In Development in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst In Development in Austin, TX

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas (Less than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to work on projects that will positively impact farmer's in Texas.

Cons

It seems like a company with the word "Texas " in their title would be friendly, or in the least professionally courteous. Nope. During Christmas time, none the less, they were rude abrasive, crude, and completely unprofessional. I was a contractor and I may have been invisible. Accept they put me un a cubicle smack dab in the middle of a very busy hallway next to an elevator. These are the social/ company related cons. Professionally speaking they used archaic tools. Over planned the project with Waterfall methodolgies that the developer dud not follow. Instead he took a really sumple project and over-developed it. This not only voided my development effort, it impacted the business analysis effort, it affected the test / QA group, as well. When I reported it, they ignored me because I was a contractor and he was a FTE. When the contract ended, I was relieved to move on and away from the archaic development practices of years gone by.

Advice to Management

Listen to the messenger even uf they are reporting things you do not want to hear. Do not schedule important projects that require many groups "extra efort " during the Holidays. It us a difficult time, all by itself. Adding stressful tasks when no-one is present to assist is a foolish waste of time.

7. "Great Place to Work!!"

Pros

The benefits are really good!

Cons

The location is a problem due to traffic.

"IT Admin"

Current Employee - IT Administrative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Administrative in Austin, TX

Pros

Colleagues are all very nice. HR staff is awesome.

Cons

Everything else. This is a long list so I'll keep it to the top few and you'll get the idea to move along, this is not the place for you. God, where to start. Cronyism. Why some people have jobs here is a mystery that is only answered by this term: Cronyism. Everything there is to dislike about IT management this place has it in spades: Old school thinking--they brag about having been in business for 100 years and it shows in their attitudes. They believe in group humiliation for punishing staff for non-compliance or failing to make deadlines. Senior managers tell subordinates they should be thankful they have a job when one complains about low morale or the utter absence of work/life balance. They are long on "doing more with less." They brag about running a "very lean" shop...yes, skeletal. Workloads are ridiculous for the amount of staff. There are virtually no standards. Anyone can do anything and they expect IT staff to support every niche configuration or off the shelf software that wasn't vetted by IT. Their internal audit processes are 1,000 years old. They force senior admins to do screen prints (bitmaps) of password changes and submit them in a Word Doc for network devices when there are hundreds of them, which is incredibly time consuming, and just plain stupid and severely taxing on the limited resources as it is when there are far better ways to do it and we just have no spare time to do anything but respond to outages. Senior management expects IT staff to keep the lights on, make progress on projects and to adhere to internal audit procedures with a zero tolerance for non-compliance. They force good people to resign for no better reason than they made the CIO mad. This is a man with the thinnest skin I've ever encountered. If you want to be miserable, frustrated and have no life, then by all means work here.

Advice to Management

Fire the CIO and reassign VPs who are close to retirement and allow people who want to actually accomplish something to do so.

"Not a good place to work."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having an office instead of a cube was nice, and the location is great. Made lots of friends because misery loves company.

Cons

We're do I start... I was considered a top performer but singled out by leadership for being outspoken on how we could do better.

New management objected to input and ideas of experienced staff doing the actual work on projects. Causing budget overruns and schedule delays.

Work from home policy include overbearing micro-management, daily report explaining every task you worked on that day was mandatory.

Mandatory weekly status reports submitted to management explained to the quarter hour what you worked on each day that week.

Advice to Management

Stop giving yourselves promotions and new job titles, no one I worked with respects either of you or your leadership style. You know who you are.

"Keep looking"

I worked at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time

Pros

There are a lot of really good people here. The beautiful scenic location makes the horrid commute almost bearable.

Cons

Used to be a family atmosphere, but now it's just another cut throat corporate hell hole. Some departments in IT are a revolving door. Management is more concerned with impressing the board members than retaining good talent.

Advice to Management

Do a clean sweep of the IT managers and start over with fresh blood. You've ruined a once successful, cohesive department.

"Good company to work for but not a lot of upward movement."

I have been working at Farm Credit Bank of Texas full-time

Pros

Company treats employees well. Decent benefits. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Not much room for growth (this does vary from department to department).