Farm Credit Mid-America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Farm Credit Mid-America CEO Bill Johnson
Bill Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Huge emphasis on maintaining a great work-life balance" (in 8 reviews)

• "Great benefits, fantastic culture, great people to work with" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The usual office politics and back stabbing among team members" (in 3 reviews)

• "I really hated the open office concept" (in 2 reviews)

"Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with FCMA six months now, and, I love it. My supervisors are supportive and encouraging. My co-workers are dedicated and treat each other as family. Plenty of training is provided and development towards career goals are encouraged. The benefits package is excellent, with minimal health care costs and the best 401K match I've have ever encountered. Work hours are standard with an early shift and late shift, in order to account for offices in the Central Time Zone. Upper management works to make sure the staff feels appreciated by occasionally providing gift cards or allowing us to leave early if we meet productivity goals. Internal gift cards can be awarded to staff members who go above and beyond to help their co-workers, and these cards can be used at most stores. I cannot speak to every department, however within my own, co-workers often bring in various snacks such as cookies or donuts. Lunch is often provided if you are in a training or presentation meeting. You will gain weight working here if you are not careful! Fridays are jean days. The office dress is business casual.

Cons

Desk space is limited and everyone works in a cube, even senior leaders. While I feel this promotes comradery among coworkers, there are moments when I miss having an office with a door I could close in order to have confidential conversations with customers. It's very easy to overhear conversations, and sometimes the volume can be too loud and disrupt customer calls. As others have mentioned, FCMA has been in transition for several years. I feel like this trend will continue. The biggest piece of advice I can give someone considering working here is this: If you are afraid change, or if you are unable/unwilling to go with the flow and be flexible, this place is not for you. Job duties can change sometimes on what feels like a whim. In my six months of employment, responsibilities have come, gone, and been brought back again. One of the key phrases around Farm Credit is "adapt." If you want to work here, you have to be willing to adjust to changes. If you can't, you will not do well and likely will not enjoy the job. Likewise, negative personalities will not work well here. The work is fast-paced, demanding, and often on the fly. I've had to come in early, stay late, and work weekends to balance my workload. If you are not truly dedicated to the job, or simply looking for a menial desk job that doesn't ask much in terms of attention or skill, this place is not for you. As the office space is an open floor plan with cubes, people who complain loudly are noticed quickly and often that reflects poorly on them in the eyes of upper management.

Advice to Management

None. I enjoy being appreciated by my co-workers and supervisors.

2. "Loan Specialist"

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time

Pros

Good people,coaching environment, good benefits.

Cons

Lots of change,no clear process

"Heading the wrong way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good but that's it

Cons

Everything else, starting with leaders and going down to regular employees. We are growing too fast for our own good. People are getting more vile, rude and at each other's throats for no reason at all. Most leaders are not equipped for the job, you get nowhere asking for help, just being punished for being honest. Forget all that smooth talk in the interview, it's just like any other "corporation" out there. The usual office politics and back stabbing among team members.

Advice to Management

Reset and get back to your core values.

"A Great Company in a Period of Transformation"

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Farm Credit has a lot going for it. It's a company with a good mission. It's a co-op, meaning the focus of efforts is on sustainability, not quarterly profits as a driving force. In fact, when profits are high, some of that money goes back to the people who borrowed through FCMA to begin with.

The Heart of Coaching system and the coaching culture it facilitates, when engaged with honestly and fully, are truly powerful and transformative.

There's a strong focus on technology at FMCA, and the organization is much more cutting edge than many financial companies. Members of IT are able to keep their knowledge and skills current, as the company keeps pushing for innovation and is willing to explore the tools and approaches necessary to sustain that innovation. IT staff have access to tons of resources to continue their learning. They have the ability to create goals of their own to reach year-to-year, and they are afforded time to dedicate to those goals.

Benefits are overall great with a few caveats. 401K match is fantastic. Health plans are the sort of high deductible plans that many companies are going toward; while not great, FCMA's is better than most comparable consumer driven high deductible plans. Vacation time is decent, but it's accrued in a very outdated fashion. Sick time is plentiful, and employees get time to use when dependents are sick, which is really great.

Cons

The cons at FCMA are really no different than what you might find at any other rapidly modernizing company. The company is implementing new-to-it business processes, technologies, and personnel structures. With all of that change comes the pain of missteps and the uncertainty of future changes in direction for those who don't see the big picture of where the company is headed.

Creature comforts: still hanging onto business casual for non-customer-facing roles, outdated vacation accrual scheme , and still committed to the open office floor plan for IT, despite it being proven to reduce productivity and collaboration and increase stress.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on moving forward in both business process and technology, but do so carefully to instill greater confidence in the employees that the decisions being made are the right ones. Take the time to analyze a situation and gather the information you need before making a decision. Staying the course, even through initial pain, is often a winning strategy. Patience is a virtue, not a liability.

"Deeply Flawed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great 401k, time off, managers are great, employees even better.

The CEO is a genuine soul with a brilliant mind for business.

Cons

Where to begin?

They constantly complain about not being able to keep people for more than 5 years, and worry about how a significant portion of the company is nearing retirement. The biggest issue here? They consistently pass up internal candidates for external hires. The external hire proceeds to work for a year or two then quit, all the while the internal candidate is still begging for their chance. Then they hire another external candidate, rinse and repeat. What’s even worse? They brag about how often they hire internally.

They will lie to your face in the interview about job expectations and roles. I have not experienced this personally but I have spoken with many who have.

Also, the health plan took a major hit this year. if you’ve got a family, all you can do is pray you don’t get sick or the deductible will eat through your savings and you will get to push retirement back a few years.

Advice to Management

Hire the people that have been with you and dedicated to the company for years. Fix the healthcare, the deductible is outrageous.

May 29, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review. We're sorry that this has been your experience and we thank you for your years of service. We frequently look to promote our current employees and in the past year we... More

"Where's the leadership?"

Former Employee - QA Engineer
    Former Employee - QA Engineer

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, ping pong and a new game machine, free coffee and other drinks, good location around lots of restaurants

Cons

They'll say anything to get you to take the job. I was told I was interviewing for a leadership position within the QA team. It was obvious very quickly that the job was anything but a leadership role. Management is very out of touch with what the QAs are actually doing. They also had no plan for onboarding new employees. They just set you in front of a new computer and give you zero guidance. I really hated the open office concept. It's very trendy right now, but there are too many distractions everywhere to allow for any meaningful work.

Advice to Management

If you want any success in automated testing, your QA team needs a leader to guide the ship in the right direction and make the big decisions.

May 29, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review. We're sorry that this was your experience - it certainly does not meet our expectations for onboarding. We see onboarding as continual training, development and educational... More

"Great Company Going Through Change"

Current Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my job. I love my team. I love our customers. How many people can honestly say that?

If you are a high performer, with a passion for people this is a fantastic place to work.

Farm Credit is a 22 billion dollar organization where the executive team knows your name, your hobbies and asks about your family. We have the perks of a large organization (great benefits, company vehicles, competitive salaries) but there’s a true sense of community - especially in retail offices. Our people are what sets us apart.

I’ve been fortunate enough to work in both a retail office, and central office in Louisville and I don’t see myself going anywhere else. I have been given career opportunities I never imagined having, and as a young, ambitious professional I know that if I continue to prove myself - doors will continue to open.

Cons

There’s been a lot of change and restructuring in the last few years. It has definitely been tough on employees. This is undoubtedly the biggest con - but the good news is that leadership is VERY aware, and I believe it’s something they’re working on.

Another challenge is that Farm Credit has upped the expectation of leadership, and employees in 2017/2018. This type of results focused environment certainly isn’t for everyone, and people have left as a result. I will be blunt when I say that I believe this was necessary. Mediocrity was acceptable for far too long, and in order to serve our customers in a tough agricultural climate - we need to be excellent.

One con that I have seen in other reviews is reference to Farm Credit’s leadership as a “boys club”. I can only speak of my personal experience, but as a twenty-something, female employee working in a male dominated industry (agricultural sales), I have felt nothing but respected and empowered by my leaders - both male and female.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, but slow the change.

Continue to hire and retain talent, and it will take you far. Don’t be afraid to expect excellence from us. You won’t lose high performers to high expectations.

Feb 8, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review! We’re proud to have you on our team.

"Thankful for the opportunities but happy to be out of there!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the most talented, hard working, and genuine people I've had the pleasure to share my career with have been employed at FCMA. The benefits are attractive and 401k match is hard to find elsewhere. In my role, I was entrusted with a significant amount of flexibility and influence in how I approached and completed my work (perk of a small team). The agriculture industry in general opens so many doors to innovation and security to rural America; it was amazing to be a part of that.

FCMA is a great place for someone looking to start their career or gain some competitive experience; but don't bank on staying past year 3.

Cons

Yes, all companies will have new managers struggling to adapt to leadership, yes limiting yourself geographically limits your upward mobility, and yes, it's impossible to give every one of the 1100+ employees a significant voice; but those aren't the real issues at hand.

The centralization, re-centralization, restructuring, re-structuring, elimination, re-structuring, elimination, re-structuring and centralization of teams and employees has placed an extreme amount of pressure on employees working in an already tumultuous industry. While the majority of those changes were made with the best intentions, it's as if leadership can't see the forest through the trees. What started as a great opportunity with new executive leadership over the last few years has evolved into individuals seeking to "make their mark" instead of serve their people. This is where the major issues with FCMA are born...a few SVP/EVP/C-suite "good ol boys".

Reading through reviews of employees who have been there more than 2 years will give you a solid indication that this is truly an issue with executive leadership - there is a lack of emotional intelligence at the top and it is felt at every level. Some mid-level managers do well to shoulder the burden from their teams, but this won't last long. Making every sales and sales support leader re-interview for their jobs because you weren't hitting sales goals missed the mark; sales performance wasn't a result of their inability as leaders but an indication that the amount of change and lack of vision had people overwhelmed for far too long.

Advice to Management

Leadership is not about steering the ship, it's about building a solid and sound craft to carry your teams to success. Failure to get your hands dirty and put your people first have resulted in where you are today.

Admit when you're wrong - it gives you more credibility.

Stop promoting tenure over talent; your executive committee has few leaders that would stack up in their same roles at other organizations. This is a huge risk that you're seeing the repercussions of currently.

Recognize that the biggest change needed may be whomever is setting the vision and strategy. Hint: it might not be the CEO......

9. "Excellent training, benefits package"

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time

Pros

Excellent training program and benefits package. Salary range was mediocre.

Cons

Top level management is always changing the way things are done. No constant and always evolving. Lots of employee turnover

Jan 30, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review. We strive to be a competitive employer, offering salaries and benefit packages that are at or above the market’s standards. As we continue to evolve to serve our customers... More

10. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Director in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Farm credit is an amazing organization, I feel very fortunate to work here. Farm Credit truly cares about the employees. There are so many opportunities available for development and growth. I always feel supported by my leaders and peers. Anytime, I need coaching or guidance, there are so many mentors available. I have worked here for over 12 years and plan to work at Farm Credit all of my career. I am proud to be a part of such a wonderful company that is aligned with my values.

Cons

There is a lot of change currently. However, it is all to move our company in a positive direction. Changes are well thought out and clearly communicated.

Jan 30, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review! We’re happy to have you as part of our team.