Farm Credit Mid-America Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Farm Credit Mid-America CEO Bill Johnson
Bill Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Huge emphasis on maintaining a great work-life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "Great benefits, fantastic culture, great people to work with" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "label you, flat organization, does not promote" (in 3 reviews)

• "Lack of management presence in the retail offices" (in 2 reviews)

"Great Company Going Through Change"

Current Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my job. I love my team. I love our customers. How many people can honestly say that?

If you are a high performer, with a passion for people this is a fantastic place to work.

Farm Credit is a 22 billion dollar organization where the executive team knows your name, your hobbies and asks about your family. We have the perks of a large organization (great benefits, company vehicles, competitive salaries) but there’s a true sense of community - especially in retail offices. Our people are what sets us apart.

I’ve been fortunate enough to work in both a retail office, and central office in Louisville and I don’t see myself going anywhere else. I have been given career opportunities I never imagined having, and as a young, ambitious professional I know that if I continue to prove myself - doors will continue to open.

Cons

There’s been a lot of change and restructuring in the last few years. It has definitely been tough on employees. This is undoubtedly the biggest con - but the good news is that leadership is VERY aware, and I believe it’s something they’re working on.

Another challenge is that Farm Credit has upped the expectation of leadership, and employees in 2017/2018. This type of results focused environment certainly isn’t for everyone, and people have left as a result. I will be blunt when I say that I believe this was necessary. Mediocrity was acceptable for far too long, and in order to serve our customers in a tough agricultural climate - we need to be excellent.

One con that I have seen in other reviews is reference to Farm Credit’s leadership as a “boys club”. I can only speak of my personal experience, but as a twenty-something, female employee working in a male dominated industry (agricultural sales), I have felt nothing but respected and empowered by my leaders - both male and female.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, but slow the change.

Continue to hire and retain talent, and it will take you far. Don’t be afraid to expect excellence from us. You won’t lose high performers to high expectations.

Feb 8, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review! We’re proud to have you on our team.

"Deeply Flawed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great 401k, time off, managers are great, employees even better.

The CEO is a genuine soul with a brilliant mind for business.

Cons

Where to begin?

They constantly complain about not being able to keep people for more than 5 years, and worry about how a significant portion of the company is nearing retirement. The biggest issue here? They consistently pass up internal candidates for external hires. The external hire proceeds to work for a year or two then quit, all the while the internal candidate is still begging for their chance. Then they hire another external candidate, rinse and repeat. What’s even worse? They brag about how often they hire internally.

They will lie to your face in the interview about job expectations and roles. I have not experienced this personally but I have spoken with many who have.

Also, the health plan took a major hit this year. if you’ve got a family, all you can do is pray you don’t get sick or the deductible will eat through your savings and you will get to push retirement back a few years.

Advice to Management

Hire the people that have been with you and dedicated to the company for years. Fix the healthcare, the deductible is outrageous.

May 29, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review. We're sorry that this has been your experience and we thank you for your years of service. We frequently look to promote our current employees and in the past year we... More

"Must read before considering!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many: good 401(k) plan but...read the cons, relatively okay work/life balance with no crazy work hours,

Cons

Where do I start?

Salaries are okay but nothing fantastic, wonder why they have a high turnover rate?

401(k) is not 100% vested unless you stay with the company for at least 4 years.

Management is fairly "new" meaning all leaders are not trained to be managers hence a slew of issues due to inexperience and bias.

Promotions & reviews are based on the buddy system not experience or skills. If you know the right people and cozy up to them you can get a good promotion and/or review followed by a small salary increase.

Even though leaders keep saying they are open to feedback you better not say the wrong thing! There is A LOT of politics going on in a relatively small office.

There is a lot of "everybody for him/her self" mentality in the workforce trying to get noticed and promoted which leads to poor inter-team interaction and poor communication between teams.

I could go on and on but I hope you get the idea. Think twice before even considering joining. I wish I had more reviews/info when I researched the company and before I accepted a job here. Take everything you hear in interviews with a grain of salt and do your own research!

Just read the replies from the company's HR department on the true = "negative" reviews. Same canned response, over and over again, they don't care about the issues raised!

Advice to Management

Read the reviews here to understand what the employees are feeling about the company and leaders.

"Where's the leadership?"

Former Employee - QA Engineer
    Former Employee - QA Engineer

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, ping pong and a new game machine, free coffee and other drinks, good location around lots of restaurants

Cons

They'll say anything to get you to take the job. I was told I was interviewing for a leadership position within the QA team. It was obvious very quickly that the job was anything but a leadership role. Management is very out of touch with what the QAs are actually doing. They also had no plan for onboarding new employees. They just set you in front of a new computer and give you zero guidance. I really hated the open office concept. It's very trendy right now, but there are too many distractions everywhere to allow for any meaningful work.

Advice to Management

If you want any success in automated testing, your QA team needs a leader to guide the ship in the right direction and make the big decisions.

May 29, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review. We're sorry that this was your experience - it certainly does not meet our expectations for onboarding. We see onboarding as continual training, development and educational... More

"Thankful for the opportunities but happy to be out of there!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the most talented, hard working, and genuine people I've had the pleasure to share my career with have been employed at FCMA. The benefits are attractive and 401k match is hard to find elsewhere. In my role, I was entrusted with a significant amount of flexibility and influence in how I approached and completed my work (perk of a small team). The agriculture industry in general opens so many doors to innovation and security to rural America; it was amazing to be a part of that.

FCMA is a great place for someone looking to start their career or gain some competitive experience; but don't bank on staying past year 3.

Cons

Yes, all companies will have new managers struggling to adapt to leadership, yes limiting yourself geographically limits your upward mobility, and yes, it's impossible to give every one of the 1100+ employees a significant voice; but those aren't the real issues at hand.

The centralization, re-centralization, restructuring, re-structuring, elimination, re-structuring, elimination, re-structuring and centralization of teams and employees has placed an extreme amount of pressure on employees working in an already tumultuous industry. While the majority of those changes were made with the best intentions, it's as if leadership can't see the forest through the trees. What started as a great opportunity with new executive leadership over the last few years has evolved into individuals seeking to "make their mark" instead of serve their people. This is where the major issues with FCMA are born...a few SVP/EVP/C-suite "good ol boys".

Reading through reviews of employees who have been there more than 2 years will give you a solid indication that this is truly an issue with executive leadership - there is a lack of emotional intelligence at the top and it is felt at every level. Some mid-level managers do well to shoulder the burden from their teams, but this won't last long. Making every sales and sales support leader re-interview for their jobs because you weren't hitting sales goals missed the mark; sales performance wasn't a result of their inability as leaders but an indication that the amount of change and lack of vision had people overwhelmed for far too long.

Advice to Management

Leadership is not about steering the ship, it's about building a solid and sound craft to carry your teams to success. Failure to get your hands dirty and put your people first have resulted in where you are today.

Admit when you're wrong - it gives you more credibility.

Stop promoting tenure over talent; your executive committee has few leaders that would stack up in their same roles at other organizations. This is a huge risk that you're seeing the repercussions of currently.

Recognize that the biggest change needed may be whomever is setting the vision and strategy. Hint: it might not be the CEO......

6. "Excellent training, benefits package"

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time

Pros

Excellent training program and benefits package. Salary range was mediocre.

Cons

Top level management is always changing the way things are done. No constant and always evolving. Lots of employee turnover

Jan 30, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review. We strive to be a competitive employer, offering salaries and benefit packages that are at or above the market’s standards. As we continue to evolve to serve our customers... More

7. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Director in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Farm credit is an amazing organization, I feel very fortunate to work here. Farm Credit truly cares about the employees. There are so many opportunities available for development and growth. I always feel supported by my leaders and peers. Anytime, I need coaching or guidance, there are so many mentors available. I have worked here for over 12 years and plan to work at Farm Credit all of my career. I am proud to be a part of such a wonderful company that is aligned with my values.

Cons

There is a lot of change currently. However, it is all to move our company in a positive direction. Changes are well thought out and clearly communicated.

Jan 30, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review! We’re happy to have you as part of our team.

"Not so great when the Rose Colored glasses come off."

Former Employee - QA Technician in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - QA Technician in Louisville, KY

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. There are a lot of dedicated people working there that try their best to make every day a great day to work there. There is some nice new technology they are using to build their systems.

Cons

Culture is stuffy and old due to the conservative nature of the place.

Career advancement is painful and nearly impossible to get because of the flatness of the organization and the awful review process that is completely subjective.

They think that they are an Agile org but do not practice proper agile principles.

Advice to Management

Politics in middle management is the cause of a lot of problems and tension between the upper management and low-level workers. It would not be a surprise to see more people leave over this issue in the future.

Jan 5, 2018 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review. We agree that when it comes to culture, there is a continual need to adapt. Please know that there are many ways team members can raise concerns, including concerns about... More

9. "Almost too good to be true!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They really make a new employee feel welcomed and special. There is a certain level of politicking that goes on but I cannot list it as a con because ALL employers have that (there are only so many positions!). They are very flexible and I truly believe the majority of the people working there are good people up to the CEO. In new employee orientation, which is a few days, the CEO led the entire first day. The next two days the executive team was there and they are good, unpretentious, hard working people. The CEO had dinner for all new employees at his house. I truly believe they are in business to help people and help people that keep America running, the farmers. I feel blessed to have landed here.

Cons

One of the cons, as I see it, which is also a pro is that a number of leaders are new & inexperienced so there are the normal drawbacks to that. However, they are new & inexperienced because they've been given the opportunity to grow from within.

Advice to Management

There will always be naysayers...keep doing what you're doing!

10. "Great!"

Former Employee - Financial Services Intern in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at Farm Credit Mid-America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great company to work for and there is a lot of opportunity to grow within the company.

Cons

When hiring they are very biased towards people with an Ag background, when they are just a financial services company.

Advice to Management

Be more open to people that do not have Ag backgrounds.

Nov 15, 2017 – Farm Credit Mid-America

Thank you for your review! We hire employees based on merit and experience as we lend to and support rural communities and agriculture.