Farm Family Casualty Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Timothy A. Walsh

1. "Software Engineer but not really."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at Farm Family Casualty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Software was easy to learn, and it's very clear what is expected on a day to day basis.

Cons

-There was no actual programming involved, the Software we were using was too similar to Googles AppInventor to my liking. To add to that, the project managers had no real idea how to use the software and couldn't really explain it.

2. "Unprofessional"

Pros

Sadly, I cannot think of any pros as my experience with this company was very disappointing.

Cons

I had a very negative experience with the supervisor of Farm Family in Glenmont where I was set up with a temp position by Fusco. I contacted Fusco hoping to resolve the problem because despite the supervisor's unprofessional and mean way of treating all of the employees, I still liked my job and did very well at it ( I was complimented on my performance several times by other supervisors who were higher up). However, Fusco's only way of handling it was by ending my assignment right before Christmas (which was very upsetting as I am a single mom of 3 kids and was left jobless for no reason).

They would not allow me to even retrieve my belongings myself from my desk at Farm Family. When I picked up my things from Fusco, I noticed some of my belongings were missing. I told them about it and asked for the rest of my items to be returned to me or at least be reimbursed for them. They refused.

I spoke with other individuals who had previously worked with Fusco and was warned that they are not a good staffing company. They show no concern for the employee.

This is one staffing company that I will never work with again.

Fortunately, there are much better staffing companies out there that listen to and care about the employees. I am now working through a great staffing company who found me a fantastic job that pays triple what Fusco was paying.

Advice to Management

Figure out a more professional way of dealing with issues before ending assignments. Especially when the employee is not the one in the wrong.

3. "Look outside the window!"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Niche market with good hard working clientele in a wholesome atmosphere.

Cons

I have been with for The Farm for 5+ years. Slowly, and sadly it is going down hill. The opportunity is there, be ready to work for it... extremely hard! I love the market and working with farms, unfortunately, they are losing grasp on the fact that they insure farmers. Some of the major cons include:
    Poor training
    Poor Education
    Poor Advertising and product awareness
    Poor market understanding
    Poor Compensation schedule
    Horrendous out of date systems that are broken 3/4 of the time.
    Poor Support
    Reputation fading in the agriculture community rapidly.
    NO NAME RECOGNITION outside of the little agricultural community...
    There is a lot to say that is Poor... they used to be AWESOME to work with, or so I am told. However as a new agent, if you have limited experience and you have an opportunity with another company go there. If you have experience, give it a shot, just know things are not going to be like you are used to and hope you can hang in there through the first 7 or 8 years. Work life balance is based upon you as an independent. If you want to work 100 hours a week, it's up to you. So I gave it a 5 due to it being your choice.

Advice to Management

Look outside the window, see what other companies are doing to grow. Mirror the successful companies you wish to emulate and put some money and backing (education, and support) behind your sales force. Your attrition rate for new agents, I have never seen so high. 99% of them fail! The reason is they cannot get off the ground because they can't afford to, and you do not offer them the means to.

5. "Software Engineer 2 - good starter position"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Glenmont, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Glenmont, NY

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. 37.5 hour work week. good benefits.

Cons

Terrible management; not much room for growth and everything is based on seniority. Low pay for key employees and in general for the area.

Advice to Management

Grow up and worry about the bigger picture.

6. "Very low pay, very little room for growth"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance II in Glenmont, NY
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance II in Glenmont, NY

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Option for a flex schedule in some departments.

Cons

Very low salaries. The annual increases in most cases doesn't cover the medical/dental annual increases. Limited growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Increase pay!!!!!!

7. "Farm Family"

Former Employee - Event Planner in Glenmont, NY
    Former Employee - Event Planner in Glenmont, NY

Pros

Family oriented company. The home office does a lot for the employees.

Cons

Low pay salary and not a lot of opportunity for growth.

8. "Nice People, Low Salary"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Glenmont, NY
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Glenmont, NY

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice and ample training is provided

Cons

Low Pay across company, Unachievable goals set by upper management, low quality qa analyst

Advice to Management

Try to get better quality workers by offering a reasonable wage

"Great Benefits, Horrible Environment"

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only reason to work for this employer is their benefits. They have awesome health benefits, good time off (3.5 weeks to start) , and a nurse practitioner on site twice a week. You can see the nurse on company time and the only service she can't perform are women/men well visits (ex. breast exams). There is also a gym on location that is free to use for all employees.

Cons

The work environment is one of the worst environments I've ever worked in. I'm employed in the underwriting department, and to date, I have not met an employee in this department that is satisfied with their job. Everyone is miserable. Politics play a huge role in who gets promoted/raises. There is no talking to co-workers. Absolutely NO flexibility with time (this is not good, especially for people with kids). There is no recognition for going above and beyond to help an agent/co-worker besides self-satisfaction. The pay is horrible, however, they claim for the past year they've been working to become more competitive on salaries in this profession. Good luck should you decide to apply for a position here.

Advice to Management

Try to make the environment more like a salaried career instead of a high school job.

10. "Insurance Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Farm Family Casualty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has great people working for them. The have a very supportive work environment and many different agents want to help out the newer hires to try to help them succeed. The company has many great products for clients to choose from.

Cons

very stressful position and the pay is not enough for a person to live on. the company needs to be very specific up front on the pay structure in the beginning. It has a very confusing pay schedule that they should go over more because the new person does not understand it.

Advice to Management

The management is great and is very supportive. They have a lot of different agents to manage so it is hard for them to be available all the time. There is nothing they can really do about it besides deligate to a different person

11. "Clerical Support"

Former Employee - Clerical Support in Glenmont, NY
    Former Employee - Clerical Support in Glenmont, NY

I worked at Farm Family Casualty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the people, good benefits package, Wellness Program provided a state of the art exercise facility and many fun activities within the company.

Cons

Position lacked sufficient challenge to be considered interesting, minimal salary increases, not really interested in the insurance industry for a career choice