KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Farmers Insurance Group

Engaged Employer

Farmers Insurance Group

Add a Review

Farmers Insurance Group Employee Reviews about "farmers"

Updated Nov 30, 2021

What people are saying about Farmers Insurance Group

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Compared to most companies (personal experience and from friends) the benefits are good.(in 361 reviews)
  • "The best part of working for Farmers is the great people you meet while working there.(in 222 reviews)
  • "Good Pay and bonuses.(in 209 reviews)
  • "Great training for a new agent in P&C side of the business when I started in 2003 everybody was really helpful.(in 180 reviews)
  • "Work life balance was good(in 126 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Farmers Insurance Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "farmers"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Caring about customers

Nov 30, 2021 - Insurance Agent in Mobile, AL
    Business Outlook

Pros

They love their customers which means they hire employee’s who care about there customers and their many insurance needs. Great pay!

Cons

All Farmers Agencies are Franchised and most don’t offer benefits for the long term.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

High stress and high rates

Nov 17, 2021 - Insurance Sales Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

Develop skills used for other jobs and are really able to hone them to produce more professional interactions.

Cons

You work under the head agent, not directly Farmers. No retirement package but wants you to use life insurance as your retirement (get more life sales, commission goes up). Constantly changing commission rates. High stress with cold calling former clients to have them come back. Mental health was severely impacted due to former boss. Rates are extremely high. It is because farmers pays claims but your main audience that will move over are mid 50s couples. People younger would refuse the rates in comparison to other companies.

3. 5.0
    Former Contractor

definitely a great place to work

Nov 1, 2021 - Legal Assistant/Paralegal
    Business Outlook

Pros

everything was excellent working at farmers

Cons

no cons working at farmers

4. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid this company unless you're in dire need of a job

Nov 3, 2021 - Customer Service Advocate II
    Business Outlook

Pros

They will license you, and pay for classes. I did not need to be licensed at the time of hiring, but they required me to sit through licensing classes. Three day weekend.

Cons

This is without a doubt the worst position I have ever worked in the insurance industry. I took the job because I was attempting to relocate and they were hiring. The turnover is pretty insane, in just two months the "team" I'd been placed on reduced it's number from 9 agents to 4. We did not hire additional agents for our team during this time. In the beginning, I couldn't understand why anybody would want to quit. Training made it seem like Farmers was such a great place to work. They had "peer testimonials" regularly about how great it was working at Farmers. I think, in hindsight, I should have recognized that there was a reason why they were constantly hammering in the fact that "they were a great place to work." (I later learned that "peer testimonials", "new hire ambassador" and fun terms like that are actually an excuse to escape the phones for a few hours a day). They do a great job insulating you from how awful management is, and can be, until you're shifted onto your team. It took about three months total until the wool was pulled from my eyes (consequently that was immediately after leaving training). Farmers is heavy handed in just about every approach, and has basically zero accountability. There is little to no recourse when you have a manager who decides to nitpick and criticize all of your calls. I can tell you that 99.9% of the insureds I spoke to left satisfied with the outcome of my calls, and this was reflected in my surveys. The odd bad review I got was actually in reference to a Farmers issue, that the insured was upset with (for example, a claim that the insured was upset about). I was not an adjustor and could not discuss claims and so I would have to conference adjustors in. Unfortunately, almost all of my calls were nitpicked to shreds by my manager, who seemed to show very little appreciation for the fact that we were bogged with calls and had very little time between. By very little time, what I mean is no time at all. Calls came in immediately after the one you were on resolved. The large majority of people who called in were frustrated and venting their anger on you. It was demoralizing to a great extent having both the insureds yelling at you daily, and management always having a critique no matter how well you did. It felt like there was little in the way of winning. Also, you know it's a bad place to work when the majority of employees exhaust their PTO before the end of the year and management does their rounds to remind you "to be careful about your PTO so it doesn't affect your work/life balance"). They say they offer things like flex time, but it's really not very reasonable. And look, most shifts get three days off a week. But you're going to need those three days off just to get back in the right mental headspace to go through another four days of twelve hours back-to-back of getting yelled at incessantly, and your manager nitpicking every one of your calls. It doesn't help that my manager was a serial power tripper, and seemed to sadistically enjoy making you feel like you could be doing more even if you poured your SOUL into your last call. They'll write you up for ANYTHING, especially if they don't like you. Anything, trust me. Go idle for two-three minutes? Your manager is checking in with you. Doesn't matter if you have to go to the bathroom. You'd better not be unaccounted for, for more than 10 minutes in your entire twelve hour shift without having to hear it from your manager. Yes, you do get break times but you don't always align your bathroom needs with said break times, and the fact that they plainly asked is pretty ridiculous. It got so bad that I actually quit with nothing lined up because Farmers was so horrendously soul consuming. I know of several people who needed to see a therapist after the GASLIGHTING that Farmers Management loves to employ. Yes, it's that bad. To be honest, I gave Farmers one last chance; when the shift bid came up, I had bid for another manager. The results finalized, and my current manager held a meeting implying that I would be remaining on her team despite never having bid for her shift. Turns out the other manager quit because of how terrible the office culture was. I followed pretty immediately after. Oh, they sent me a bill for $800+ of "overpaid wages" three months after I left. What a horrible, horrible place to work.

5 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

I overview marketing for our agency.

Oct 4, 2021 - Marketing Manager, Insurance Division
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love the atmosphere and the people that I work with.

Cons

I have no complaints about Farmers.