Farmers Insurance Group "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Farmers Insurance Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 14 Nov 2019

3.3
Farmers Insurance Group CEO Jeff Dailey
Jeff Dailey
1,219 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Truly A Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Talent Brand Specialist in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great work life balance with flexible schedules, wfh opportunities, and managers and colleagues who are understanding of the existence of life outside the office -AMAZING 401k. Best I've seen anywhere! -On site cafe with subsidized meals / affordable and diverse food and drink options -Fully paid company phone -Company credit card for related expenses -Nicest coworkers EVER! Welcoming and inviting from Day... 1 -No "expectation" of or pressure to work late, after hours, on weekends, etc. -Awesome internal movement opportunities mean you can switch teams, positions, even hub locations with ease and without judgement or ill will. Exploring your career path opportunities is encouraged!

Cons

-Slightly outdated tech (laptops, programs/systems) that sometimes makes doing your job more challenging (but they do have a great help service desk!) -Sometimes a slow or disorganized onboarding process, depends hire to hire (badges not working, laptops not being set up in time, etc)

Farmers Insurance Group2019-11-14
  2. "Simply the best company for which I have ever worked."

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

A multitude of upward mobility opportunities. A real concern for work life balance Excellent benefit options 10 weeks of paid parental leave starting in 2020. Company encouragement in seeking additional education and IT certifications via a generous tuition reimbursement program A world class IT organization, using the most modern IT methodologies and frameworks An absolute team oriented and collaborative work... environment, with all employees IT working to collectively achieve the objectives and strategic goal of the company. Comprehensive training and ongoing support after training.

Cons

The traffic around the OKC office can be quite congested between 7:30 and 8:30 in the morning a and again from 5:00 to 5:30 in n the afternoon due the works schedules of a large company whose headquarters located across the street from the office. (OKC)

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work.

Farmers Insurance Group2019-11-06
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Analyst I in Independence, OH

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Generous pto, great benefits, good work life balance, focus on development, young atmosphere

Cons

No major complaints after 6 months

Farmers Insurance Group2019-09-10

"Not for me"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Caledonia, MI

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, benefits, depending on shift work/life balance is good

Cons

Management is hit or miss, micromanagement is terrible

Farmers Insurance Group2019-09-17

"Overlook of company"

Current Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensated well for what is asked

Cons

Work-life balance Can be stressful but plenty of overtime

Advice to Management

Listen from the bottom up

Farmers Insurance Group2019-09-04

"Would recommend to my friends and family"

Current Employee - Senior Strategy Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

politics come into play

Advice to Management

reward shining stars with opportunity to promote

Farmers Insurance Group2019-07-23

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Analyst, Advocate in Austin, TX

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- great 401k matching, 1 for 1 up to 6%, 3 years vested - good salary - well stocked cafeteria/vending (paid options only) - while rare at Farmers, I had a couple of outstanding managers at points in my time there

Cons

- culture, culture, culture! Toxic is the only word for it. Specific numbers are all that matters, even to the detriment of the overall (supposed) business goal. Metrics trump helping the customer/agent. Employees who cut corners to cut times are the ones who get applauded, while those who clean up after them are punished with late shifts and no/minimal yearly pay increase. You are constantly berated by managers no... matter what you accomplish. Favoritism, gossip, and retaliation are rampant, with higher level employees discussing specific employee performance with anyone, and if you address it directly you can expect it to turn into made up rumors about you. In my most recent department, the extremely rare pay grade increase went to low performing males or attractive women, while those who had better times and did more projects were skipped over every time. I was specifically told by a manager to lie on a project, and when I brought this up, I found out that it goes up the management chain. That was the day I started looking for another company. - PTO - Because of the high turnover and minimal staffing, available hours are almost non-existent, meaning you must use "unscheduled PTO." This in turn gets you written up or punished with a late/weekend shift causes no/minimal yearly increase. This means people come to work extremely sick (I went with the flu). Half the people have FMLA for anything because it's the only way to protect your job. - work/life balance - Your home life is shot once you start here, even if you are an hourly employee. It is so incredibly stressful that all you do is stress about work when you're away from it. I know so many people who had never had issues before and became severely depressed (like therapy/meds depressed) with massive anxiety because of the job. Sure they offer the employee assistance program with therapy options, but you risk being fired if you actually take the time to use an appointment. - the building - It's very common to talk to people who developed allergies and respiratory issues/migraines once they started working in this building. Outside of work you start feeling better. They started a slight remodel (new carpet and paint) but stopped halfway through the building. They said they were pausing, but after weeks there was still no change. New chairs are promised but won't come until after the now halted remodel. Current chairs are filthy, stained, and broken. I never visited a chiropractor until I came to Farmers. - poor outlook for the Austin location - Overall Farmers is struggling with an archaic, barely functional technology platform for agents, and a business strategy that hasn't kept up with consumer needs, so it's not surprising that costs would need to be cut somewhere. There have been three departments laid off at this location in the last year. Spending on employees (the occasional desk drop, rewards program, etc) has dropped to nothing in the last year or two. Even the remodel looks more like getting the building ready for a new client to lease (the walls are white, low quality carpeting job). Several high level employees at this location have left with short notice. With other Farmers locations expanding and taking on more of the work that used to be specific to Austin, it doesn't look promising for this location.

Advice to Management

- Develop some ethics. Don't pressure employees to lie to make managers look better. - Respect your employees. We are more than our phone handle time. We have lives and families. We are not robots who can function without ever getting sick or needing a day off to refuel. And it wouldn't hurt to say good job just once in a while.

Farmers Insurance Group2019-08-05

"Layoffs every few years"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My position had good work/life balance and flexibility.

Cons

Constant scrutiny made it difficult to feel valued.

Farmers Insurance Group2019-07-30
  9. "Attorney Review - Chicago"

Current Employee - Trial Attorney in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in one of the BLOS. Great managing atty. awesome benefits. Great perk with a company car fully paid for. Great work life balance. Decent pay. Nice bonuses. It is a family environment. Laid back. I loved my time there.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement. Small office. The pay isn't bad but it could be better. Office gossip.

Farmers Insurance Group2019-07-10

"Fraud everywhere!"

Former Employee - Agency Owner in Aurora, CO

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom to make your own schedule-ish. They force you to be at the office, or pay someone to be there, 55 hours per week.

Cons

Everyone knows the DM’s are committing fraud in their agents books of business. The entire territory office, in Denver, looked the other way and actually threatened to fire the agents AND report them to the DOI for fraud! They had years of proof that the DM was using his personal credit card to add renters policies to random clients, then cancel them when he reached his quota. Farmers, as a whole, will also pay... out on claims they know they shouldn’t just to save time. This creates drastically higher rates for clients and cuts the commission rates down for agents. Agents are deducted from their quarterly revenue goals for the amounts of the claims paid. I personally had an illegal keep wrecking his girlfriends car, she refused to add him to the policy and couldn’t provide proof of valid U.S. license. He totaled 2 cars and hurt 3 people... Farmers paid... rates went up. No benefits No work/life balance, they expect you to always be working They can’t even figure out how their own commission structure works! I was charged back for every life policy I wrote the first year I was there. As soon as they each hit 1 year, I saw the charge back for every penny I made. It was a wrong code when I had to change districts because my original was allowed to resign over all the fraud he committed. Nobody could explain it.

Advice to Management

Try creating an ethical environment for your agents to work in, maybe they’d stick around.

Farmers Insurance Group2019-08-07