Farmers & Merchants Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Daniel Walker

1. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Wichita, KS

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great bank to work for. Small town bank with a big personality. All employees were well trained and very friendly

Cons

No Cons to speak of

Advice to Management

Always room for growth

"Family, Faith, Integrity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Farmers & Merchants Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is unusual to find a company that shares and demonstrates many of the same values that one holds as an individual. It is not uncommon to meet employees that have worked for the company for over 10 years and started at an entry level position. Profit sharing plan and incredible health benefits. Many growth opportunities and internal job postings made available daily. Free classes to expand your knowledge of different computer programs and job related skills that are not just helpful in the finance industry. Family based culture.

Cons

Compensation could be better, it is low compared to the industry as a whole.

3. "Great place to be exposed to different aspects of banking but not many opportunities to move up from hourly to salary"

Current Employee - Lending Specialist in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Lending Specialist in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Farmers & Merchants Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With a supportive manager, you can learn so many skills beyond your basic job description, especially at the branch level. I was able to transition from the teller/new accounts side to lending based on skills learned within the branch and the support of my manager. Speaking of the lending side, you'll be handling loans from start to finish, not just specializing in only one part of the process. Not only do you get a big picture view of how it all comes together, but the diverse portfolio means you'll keep learning new things. The people are consistently friendly and there is a real trend towards a family feeling within the company. Time off for family / other needed leave is available without pressure. Vacation is encouraged (and required in certain positions). They're one of the few companies that still offer profit sharing (15% of base salary with stepped vesting). In addition, every year since it was started, the board has voted to provide a Christmas bonus (2 weeks salary) to all employees.

Cons

As great as the profit sharing and Christmas bonus are, they don't quite make up for the seemingly standard (according to discussions with peers) below market hourly rates and lack of raises. It very much depends if you have a manager that will go to bat for you against HR. While there are internal job postings, none list salary ranges and it is difficult to even learn the range when negotiating salary. Transparency is not a priority here. In addition, the transition from hourly to salary (i.e. officer level) is very difficult. The tendency seems to be hiring the higher ups from outside rather than promoting from within. There are also conflicting ideologies between a) finding creative ways of accommodating our clients and b) a rigid adherence to policy and procedure in order to minimize risk. This results in uneven treatment of clients because the results you're looking for depends on who you can talk to.

Advice to Management

More transparency in terms of salary would be great as well as opening up / making pathways available from hourly to officer level.

5. "Information Security Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seal Beach, CA

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had flex-time so I could come in early and be done early.

Cons

Too much nepotism and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same instead of praising the favorite employees.

"Black Professionals Beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CA

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank (More than a year)

Pros

Benefit package, Profit Sharing, and hours of operations compared to competing banks.

Cons

Low pay, nepotism, and lack of diversity in management roles. If you are a black professional seeking to grow in an organization, this is not the company for you. You will be over worked, under paid and looked over but asked to train others.

There's a high percentage of employees who have held the same position for over a decade, with absolutely no chance of advancement. Certain individual(s) who hold management positions are some the most unprofessional, asinine and disrespectful co-workers I have ever encountered but surprisingly, have held positions for over a decade because of who they are related to or associated with.

The work environment is very hostile and petty and I would never recommend this organization to anyone. This is one company I do not regret leaving.

"Bankcard Representative"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Lakewood, CA

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers great benefits and the hours of operation are reasonable compared to other financial organizations.

Cons

Nepotism and/or the lack of diversity prohibits any advancement..

"No growth, low pay, terrible management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Farmers & Merchants Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's close to where I live.

Cons

The HR department won't do anything about a boss who likes to bully and creates toxic work environment unless it somehow benefits them in the moment.

There also seems to be no logic to the titles given out.

Advice to Management

A simple google search of potential C-level executives goes a long way.

Provide management training to employees who you make a manager and has absolutely no experience or no idea what they're doing.

"Financial Insintution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellflower, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellflower, CA

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great company to work for.

Cons

From my experience there are no cons with this bank

"teller"

Former Employee - Teller & Operations Assistant in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Teller & Operations Assistant in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

Depending on the branch I was at the main branch DT LB and it has a old school feel. You work beside the family of the bank which is kinda cool

Cons

Hours are long, bank hours make it hard to have appointments and a family period. The pay was horrible.

"Great Place for long term employment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seal Beach, CA

I worked at Farmers & Merchants Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started as a teller and ended my career there as a First Vice President. The management team work to help build you up and promote from within before seeking outside staff. Overall the team at FMB was great to work with, and I had a great career there.

Cons

As new people arrive they create gossip and back biting that isn't reflective of management or veterans who have been there for years.

Advice to Management

Have more team building exercises for new team members so everyone can bond and build better relationships.