Fast Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance could be better (in 34 reviews)

• Some days can be very long hours (in 58 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I love this place!"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully paid healthcare benefits, paid vacation, paid sick time, 401k, yearly bonuses (everybody gets one but hard work will only increase the size), a more than competitive salary (yes its true, the overtime is paid!) and the chance to travel and see new things that you may have never had the opportunity to do. Every project actively has there hands in the community and are constantly looking for ways to help out in many different ways. You will have the opportunity to work with some the smartest and self driven people you will ever meet that will do anything to help you succeed. We are a company with a global presence and our partners/owners make it a point to see, speak and get to know everybody across all our sites (your truly not just a number here). I have worked for other companies and done different things but I have never worked for a company like this. I can honestly say this place constantly blows my mind (most the time I have to pinch myself to make sure this is real) and has myself and my family grateful that we are part of one the greatest companies in the world. From my family to you, Thank you FAST!

Cons

Sometimes you work a fair bit of overtime but its paid. Honestly your going to have to work overtime at just about any company or job you may take and I think you will find that the vast majority will not offer you a salary with paid overtime so I will leave it up to you if you think this is a con (its really not though). I have seen plenty of reviews that place the traveling as a con but if you want or enjoy seeing new things then its not really a con. I have a family of five and its never been a burden on us. Fast makes moving really easy (you wont even have to pick up a box or try to con your friends into helping you since they are always busy when its time to move) and it does not cost you a thing. For me these are not cons (more like opportunity) but they come up in reviews often so I wanted people to understand that its all in how you look at it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and we all recognize how above and beyond you go!

"Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you love tech, this is a great place. Fast paced and challenging work environment. You will work with a lot of interesting and friendly people. Excellent benefits. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies.

Cons

The "self serve" culture can be challenging. No hand-holding here. Have to figure out what you need to be successful and then seek it out.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!!

"Good experience, but has its downsides"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant

I worked at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great compensation, benefits, company events, etc.
    - Opportunity to move somewhere new
    - Opportunity to meet people from all over the world
    - Fun experience for new graduates
    - Most Fasties are nice and easy to work with

Cons

- If location matters to you, this job may not be for you. While they have some attractive locations, it's basically a roll of the dice whether or not you will go to one of them.
    - Work/life balance could be better. The overtime is paid, which is great, but if you are looking for 40 hrs a week and free weekends you might want to look elsewhere.
    - Technical skills will plateau here after a year or so. The software is very proprietary and doesn't really provide many transferable skills. Although every rollout brings new challenges, you will not be expanding your technical skills/knowledge to solve them.

Feb 5, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed working with FASTies and exploring new places with the company.

Regarding you comment on location, you are correct, employees do... More

4. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time

Pros

-Great pay
    -Awesome people
    -The company truly cares about each employee

Cons

- You are required to move around so frequently

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Jackson, MS

I worked at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They share everything openly. You always know where the company stands and where they are going. They treat you well

Cons

I was not a fan of the incentives of open bars at every single event. It seemed fount first, but then everyone was always drunk around you.

Feb 5, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you experienced transparency at FAST and felt treated well.

We feel your comment about “open bars at every single event” and that “everyone was... More

"Implementation Consultant"

I worked at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money for basically doing things that a 12 year old could do.

Cons

The whole software is created and maintained by a bunch of developers from HQ. All consultants need to do is bunch of basic configuration and some basic coding. All the tools that the company use are their own, for example they do not use GIT versioning, they have their own called FCR, similarly all the other tools used are proprietary and they all lag far behind the current tech scene. If you stay long enough here, you might very well not be employable anywhere else. Company culture is weird, everyone likes to drink a lot of alcohol, but its very difficult to form true meaningful friendship with anyone.
    Relocating to new places every 1 year or so can be challenging as some of these locations are very isolated.

Advice to Management

Although the current software works well, upgrade your systems and tools to the current industry standards. This way of creating dependency for both your client and your employees is generally looked down upon in the current tech world.
    What i have noticed is that team leads and managers are not very keen on sharing knowledge and seem almost threatened if they come across someone who has potential, and they try not to help, and at times take credit for things that others do. Create a culture which is more friendly and focused on collaborating to solve problems.

Jan 11, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your response.

In response to your comment about our “tools being proprietary” and “if you stay here long enough you might very well not be employable anywhere else”, it is true... More

"No room for technical growth."

Current Employee - Software Architect
    Current Employee - Software Architect

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is great. Benefits are great. Great place to learn and implement SQL.

Cons

Fast used to have a family feel. Now that it is much larger, unfortunately it is losing touch. Don't get too attached to your co-workers as you will most likely never see them again (at least not more than every 2 years) after you or they move to a new contract in a new city.

If you are looking for a company that encourages technical growth and giving you freedom to engineer new applications to solve problems, this is NOT the company for you. You are stuck using the tools the development center provides you and will only be working in the same system for your entire career with fast. The coding that 90% of developers do is very basic VB.NET that plugs into the greater application of GenTax. There is no room for you to innovate your own ideas and solutions outside of the very narrow and stringent guidelines dictated by the few in the development center.

Advice to Management

As a long term employee, I feel a complete lack of challenge. And if I do move to a brand new site, I am faced with the same old challenges I solved for someone else years ago, with the exception of having a renewed overtime experience that takes me away from my family. There has to be a middle ground found to keep your employees challenged without sacrificing their families. And with AGM's being split to 2 per year splitting the company, Fast is quickly losing its "Fast family culture". This review was very high several years ago, but Fast as a good place to work is fading fast.

Dec 19, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. We hope you, as a veteran employee, have used the methods we make available to all employees to have a conversation around your feelings.

With regard to your comment... More

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for.
    FAST truly cares about their employees which chows in the benefit package.
    Paid Overtime

Cons

Sometimes long hours will be required, this is a con a almost all companies but the paid overtime will help that.

"Implementation Consultant"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive pay
    - Good benefits (Free healthcare for you and your family)
    - Many vibrant young employees
    - The company treats you well, you are not just a number

Cons

- Moving can be as frequent as every couple months and sometimes with only a couple days notice (not exaggerating). The more you move up in the company, the more moving you will most likely do.
    - They are constantly hiring new employees and the more experienced consultants are overworked and don't have time to help and train them in
    - Proprietary software has a steep learning curve, but they do send new hires to a one-week training
    - Overtime is paid because you are required to put in over 40 hours many weeks. There is lots of overtime put in near deadlines and they claim that it is justified because they are paying you.
    - Work outings all involve alcohol and people getting drunk. Work hard play hard?
    - No 401k match
    - The clients are government employees.. Enough said
    - The skills learned at this job don't translate to other jobs. If you are looking to be a software developer this is not the job for you.

Dec 20, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you found the pay and benefits rewarding. We agree that FASTies are vibrant people.

To address your comment about moving, consultants do move. The... More

"The Other Side"

I worked at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Paid Overtime. Very nice.
    2) Coworkers are nice and I felt comfortable asking for anything.
    3) Work is probably good for society at large
    4) Clients can be fun/rewarding to work for

Cons

1) Proprietary and Old Software. I'd estimate 90% of the technical skills you learn at the job will not be transferrable.
    2) Relocation. As a new hire, you don't have a choice on where you get put and the odds aren't in your favor. Do you really want to 'explore' Charlestown, WV for 2 years?
    3) Overtime.