Fast Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Sometimes I feel guilty about how much I enjoy my work!"

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-The Partners are nice people who actually care about employees as human beings
    -This in turn, propagates a culture of nice people who actually care about each other and their clients
    -We genuinely want to do what is right for our clients; the company operates with a high degree of integrity
    -Many opportunities for growth and to try new things both within your role and within other roles
    -Flat organization places value on skills and abilities, not your job title

Cons

-Relocation every few years does not suit everyone

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Please continue to strive to maintain our small-company, family-like culture as we continue to grow.

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, meet awesome people and the company cares! Great culture, fun events, a lot of opportunities

Cons

Potentially some overtime, relocation (but that’s a pro sometimes), not knowing if moving is a possibility for apartments and things

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing! Provide more opportunities for mentorship and advancement! I love that you guys make sure to treat us like family

"Great Job"

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Fast for a while now and have found that even though we continue to grow, we continue to value many of the things that made Fast so great when we were a smaller company. Additionally, as we continue to grow, Fast continues to put additional resources toward more employee development to ensure that there continue to be opportunities for personal growth.

Every time I get a chance to reflect on what Fast offers, I realize how great a company I've had the opportunity to work for.

Cons

There have definitely been some long nights, weekend work, and even early mornings where I've not wanted to be at work.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing your employees and providing additional opportunities for employee growth. Keep the feel of the company that I've come to enjoy more and more throughout the years.

4. "Consultant/Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The owners are tremendously friendly and they seem to care about their employees.

Cons

Work life balance could be improved

Advice to Management

Can improve more on work/life balance

"Good if you have no life outside of work"

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay.... ummmm..... fun company events on occasion? Partners donate to charity. Nice co-workers for the most part! Yup thats about it.

Cons

Forget having a life outside of work. Moving around every couple of years is one thing but when management moves you to only have you go short term in a completely different location, you have zero control. I was told (after moving only a couple months prior), that i needed to go across the country short term for multiple months. So if you enjoy leaving your friends and family to live in a hotel for multiple months- this is for you! Also... forget about making any plans in advance. Youll be asked to go somewhere on a whim with little consideration into previously scheduled travel or plans.

Advice to Management

Please consider that there’s a chance that your employees have lives outside of work!

"A decent first job, but proceed with caution."

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great pay, very low bar for entry. FAST recruits primarily fresh grads right out of school. As long as you have good social skills and can solve problems, you stand a good chance at getting this position. Coding experience is a plus, but an entry level course should be sufficient. Entry level employees are paid very well at FAST, just check the salary section and see for yourself.

-Amazing benefits. Dental/vision/health is all covered by FAST, I pay very little out of pocket. I think this is extremely valuable, especially these days when healthcare is not a certainty.

-Great perks. Every year FAST will take you and your family on a vacation, usually to a resort by a beach. All travel and room expenses are covered by FAST. There are also fun events year round that FAST organizes. This will depend on what project you are on, but there is usually something fun going on.

-Good people. Most everyone I’ve met at FAST has been great, and it’s easy to make friends at work. I will say that this is not a good position if you are looking for a job that doesn’t follow you home. If you aren’t spending a significant amount of time with your coworkers outside of work, you likely won’t be seen as a team player. It can be hard having a social circle outside of work at times because of this.

-Paid overtime, how cool is that?

Cons

Let me preface this by saying that your experience at FAST will be totally dependant on the project you are on. I am just speaking from my experience, you might not encounter these issues on every project site.

-Lack of mentorship, training, and documentation. Even though coworkers are generally eager to share their knowledge, the learning curve at FAST is incredibly steep due to the lack of documentation and mentorship. You are expected to be working with the client and solving problems from day one (which is good), but you are not given the tools you need to do this in my opinion. I guess FAST has decided that the ‘sink or swim’ approach is the best way to bring new hires on board. There is a training period when you first start, but it was not very useful in my opinion. It was fun though. This may have been improved since I started.

Eventually you'll get the hang of things, but this can land you in some real hot water because you are modifying and developing key components of software without having any idea what you are doing. There have never been (in my two years of experience) any code reviews or performance reviews, so you won’t know if you did anything wrong until it figuratively blows up in your face. There is a lot of pressure to get things done fast, and an emphasis on quantity over quality. This is a good way to dig yourself into a hole with no way out.

-Lack of growth. The ‘development’ you’ll do as an Implementation Consultant (IC) is mainly configuration of FAST's off-the-shelf software. You’ll spend most of your time learning the business process (for example: how sales tax is calculated, or how tax returns should be audited) from the client. The solutions for these problems are built using proprietary data structures in Visual Basic. You won’t use arrays for example, since FAST has built their own version. The IC position is very light on the coding, and the coding you do is very limited in it's scope.

Most of these FAST-specific data structures are undocumented, so you end up spending a lot of time trying to work around something, only to find out that someone had already added the exact functionality you need, but didn’t think to write it down anywhere. In training, we were actively discouraged from adding comments to our code by the CEO of the company. I found that odd.

-FAST has good reasons for using a proprietary data structures and keeping much of their system obscured and locked down. Having their consultants configure existing software rather than developing from scratch shaves years off of rollouts and makes the process extremely efficient. Because of this, FAST leads the industry.

You benefit from this by being paid well, but if you are looking for a technical position where you can learn new technologies that are relevant to the software industry, as well as sharpening your development skills, this is not the position for you. I cannot stress this enough. This is not to say that FAST is a bad company, but it is very different than most software companies. Just make sure you know exactly what you are getting into. Although FAST has great Glassdoor ratings and many awards, it is most definitely not for everyone.

I know several employees who are jaded because this position is sold as a development position where you can find your niche and build code that improves people’s lives. If you end up on the wrong project, you will be stuck cleaning up other people’s messes with very little opportunity to get out. Just be aware of what you are getting into if you take this position.

I am not sure if I regret taking this position or not. But it is hard to get out once you get in, and any tech skills you have going in will atrophy quickly unless you are working on projects outside of work. But will you really want to do that when you are working 11 hour days through rollouts?

Also, don’t work for fast if you don’t like to drink. It’s hard to fit in if you don’t like to drink.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about what the IC position really is. It is not a development position, but in my experience it was sold to me as a 'development position, but you get to talk to people too'. I feel that many PMs do not always have a good understanding of what is actually going on with their project, and I think improving this would improve the experience of most ICs.

Keep up the amazing perks and events, and keep hiring awesome people!

Fast Enterprises Response

May 17, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your thorough review and comments. It is valuable to know that you feel treated well as far as benefits, pay, paid overtime, and that you work with good people. Your review has been... More

"It's all a cover up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are on par with other places(paid healthcare is one, and the paid vacation)

Cons

So so many. The benefits they promote are just to distract you from the realization that you can actual get a lot more benefits elsewhere. The overtime is like slave labor for some, and downstairs the micromanagement is unreal. Forget about a decent bonus (it diminishes each year, but looks like you are getting a good deal when you sign on). Reviews are a joke. Management asks for ideas, then they immediately shoot them down, like it was all an act to seem interested in what their employees thought. HR is just recruitment, they don't do anything remotely HR like. They act like work from home is a bad thing and want us to communicate in person, but if you leave your desk you are "timed". Good luck.

Also watch out for drink culture. If you don't drink heavily you may not fit in.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, don't give secret reviews and realize that flex hours and work from home are on the in, not the out. Yada yada, I know this will be dismissed as we're all the other negative reviews given in the past complaining about the same stuff.

Fast Enterprises Response

Apr 16, 2018 – HR

In regard to benefits: We agree. There are other careers and companies in other industries that provide more. However, compared to competitors in our industry, we believe we are more than “on par... More

"Great company"

Pros

Awesome benefits and excellent pay for jobs right out of college

Cons

Will need to work a decent amount of overtime depending on site, but it is paid overtime

Advice to Management

None!

"An Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Information Security Officer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Information Security Officer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The benefits package is amazing. Medical and dental have no monthly deduction from your pay.
    - Yearly bonuses added to your retirement account.
    - Company sponsored events.
    - Weekly hours over 40 are paid as bonus time.
    - Mentorship from other teams to expand your knowledge.
    - Information security minded company.
    - Really friendly office folks to converse with daily

Cons

Longer work hours as the company expects you to work hard and contribute. FASTies are well compensated though for the extra hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fun events.

"Review"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Fast Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, lots of company events, great product. Good teamwork. Awesome opportunities

Cons

Long hours and high demanding. Work can become your life depending on your project site.

Advice to Management

We need more people in lead positions. The leads can be overworked and not be able to do their best.