Fastenal Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2017
1,630 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,630 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-time employees (assuming the branch is adequately staffed) (in 109 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn a lot about the industry (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • No PTO as part time zero sick time zero benefits of any kind no vacation (in 113 reviews)

• Was not given the resources to succeed from those outside this branch (upper management) (in 86 reviews)

1. "Nice environment to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winona, MN

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a flexible work culture and people are really knowledgeable and provide a nice environment to work. If I put it in my words, I feel good working even on Mondays because of the work culture and the people.

Cons

The headquarters of Fastenal Company is in Winona, MN which is small place. On the positive note, I do not have to face traffic 5 days a week plus bigger cities like La Crosse and Rochester are less than an hour's drive and Twin Cities is within 2 hrs driving distance!

2. "Perfect experience builder but not great for long term."

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training modules and classes. Quick promotions from within the company. Great communication from higher ups with all the help you need to run your BOB.

Cons

Too much work expected for little pay. Pay increases are not very large for moving up within store level positions.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better for the amount of work they put in.

3. "Good Experience"

Pros

Nice coworker, direct managers want to see you grow and develop.

Cons

Poor sales numbers have led to layoffs.

5. "Outside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to different industries, good training programs, opportunities to relocate and advance within the company, really value customer service and helping customers find solutions to challenges that hinder their business, good benefits and 401k plan

Cons

Work long hours, usually have to relocate to advance within the company

6. "Outside Sales Representative"

I have been working at Fastenal full-time

Pros

Great training, friendly people, fast pace

Cons

Low salary, outdated commission system

7. "Assisting the full time sales team."

Pros

A lot of practical insight and work (sales) experience. Learn a lot about what drives sales and growth.

Very understanding and willing to work with students who are in school.

Cons

Since it's dealing with industrial supplies, it requires a lot of heavy leg work. Moving inventory from the store to the clients. Putting away product in loud and dirty manufacturing plants.

8. "Part-time"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Fastenal part-time (More than a year)

Pros

work is easy, pay is decent

Cons

Computer program is antiquated. Company on hires part-time positions and full-time is hard to achieve, employee turn-over is high.

Advice to Management

Take a vested interest in your employees. Most employees leave because they do not feel valued. This is very apparent at Fastenal.

9. "Outside Sales Representative"

I have been working at Fastenal full-time

Pros

Laid back, unprofessional environment - lots of training opportunities - company promotes from within - college degree not necessary for promotions

Cons

Management does not fully disclose entire job duties - they dangle the money carrot in front of you and once your training period has ended, they demand you work 7-5, spending the first hour of your day working in the warehouse doing receiving! If your not careful, you will get trapped working in the store which eliminates your ability to earn commission - most locations are short handed for store employees, so you can expect to spend time in a retail environment as opposed to working in your territory. Assigned territories are small and completely saturated from years of service - bringing in new accounts is almost impossible - this is a glorified delivery job as opposed to a traditional outside sales position - additional expectations and demands placed on sales reps is a classic example of micro management......the company has figured out a way to take a single position, offer low pay and get the most out of you - although you will immediately earn vacation time, you will always be denied a request if it is the first or last part of the month, due to the company's focus in sales $$$$ - your job description should read: Sales/Receiving/Delivery Driver/Collections/Retail - all for the low, low amount of $30k a year - realistic commission will put you around $35-38. Ridiculous!!!

10. "Pretty Alright"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Spring Lake, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Spring Lake, NC

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money and training are good for what it is. There are a lot of good people and they tend to hire people with a sound mind, at least in my district.

Cons

The bottom dollar is worth more than the bottom person. Yet at the same time if someone is not working out, or plain just not working, they're nearly terrified to let people go.

Advice to Management

Care about the success of your employees so we don't have to hire someone new every other month.

11. "Great experience. Great staff. Great Company."

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Support in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Support in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The daily tasks of the sales support position provide me with knowledge and opportunities that I had not had before. At the very beginning, it was a bit overwhelming because of the amount of information you need to know about the various products inside the store. However, after 2 months, I am able to grasp almost every part of my job and do it routinely without error. Plus, my GM is already looking for ways to promote me through the corporate ladder which is really encouraging.

Cons

None too significant to comment on.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Showing 1,630 of 1,656 reviews