Fathom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 14, 2019

2.4
Steve Kessen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home, fun atmosphere in office, good benefits, smart colleagues" (in 27 reviews)

• "I cannot express enough how much I enjoyed the people who work at Fathom" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Champagne celebrations were had by the new COO, who's the most ostracizing person here" (in 3 reviews)

• "Top talent is leaving due to being extremely overworked, underpaid, and unheard" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great people, lots of learning opportunities"

Pros

The people are the best part. Everyone wants to collaborate and the culture is strong. Fathom also places a heavy emphasis on learning, which keeps everyone on a given team fresh and eager to dive in.

Cons

Work life balance can get wonky, but that’s expected with agency life.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees!

"Don’t let the rebranding fool you"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Fathom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the good people are still here

Cons

Same crappy company with same crappy leadership.

I have been here for over 3 years. I am about to leave, because enough is enough. I have seen this company continually go down the drain. What is worse is that I have seen everything good of this company get stripped from it. Now, we are stuck with a leadership team full of back stabbers who believe in politics over performance. That is the only way some of the individuals could be promoted into the spots they are in. What’s more, is that they continually diminish those that work hard and put the company first. If you aren’t in the inner circle and drink the kool-aid then you “aren’t on the bus” and are treated horribly (even if your performance is good). They just rebranded as an attempt to save this failing company. Don’t let it fool you, don’t waste your time. Go to one of the many other agencies in Cleveland – they are growing fast and filled with good people (aka all the top digital marketers that left Fathom for greener pastures!)

Advice to Management

It's time to sell.

"hire young, pay little... churn and burn"

Current Employee - Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Fathom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- "culture"
    - the people
    - good place to learn and then leave for reasonable pay

Cons

- low, low pay
    - management only pretends to care about people; they care about the money and business first

Advice to Management

Management changed recently which gives me hope. Treat your employees better. Giving out monthly "awards" and title changes mean nothing if they are not backed by a raise.

"You Can't Sit With Us."

I worked at Fathom full-time

Pros

Raise your hand if you've ever felt personally victimized by online bullying...

This Glassdoor page has "Regina George" written all over it, but instead of writing in the ever-so-popular "Burn Book," those who feel angry or oppressed by a specific employee, GPS member, Fathom as a whole...or heck, feel like living out some angst-filled teenage dream that wasn't fulfilled at an acceptable age, (you know, like high school,) seem to use this site to bash, criticize and specifically call people out all while claiming, "The grass is greener on the other side."

For those of you who do not understand the aforementioned reference, it's okay, I got you; Google "Mean Girls" ...but seriously, #educateyourself on this phenomenal piece of artistry.

I digress...

The age of "hiding behind the screen" is here, and its reality is no more prevalent than on sites like Glassdoor. While giving employees (and previous employees) a platform to speak openly and anonymously about their experiences with a company can be a positive tool, readers should keep in mind that people are 3x more likely to write a negative review about a poor experience than those who had a positive experience. For every negative experience you're reading here, there is a positive a match. However, those experiences aren't making it on Glassdoor, because #science.

It's easy to hop online and profess your hatred of someone when you're not having to stare them in the face. Publicly calling out people by name anonymously, online is the cowardly move. There are two sides to every story, and while the recent storm of Fathom-bashing posts have some validity that highlights existing cons to working for the organization, their tone and nature are childish and show a complete lack of professionalism. (Maybe this is part of the reason you/or ya'll don't work there anymore?....#micdrop)

I like to live by one rule, especially when perusing the interwebz: If it seems fishy, it probably is. The five most recent negative posts are within a day or two of each other. No major changes have been made at Fathom since February, so there most likely isn't a group of recently disgruntled ex-Fathomers blowing up this page. These posts were probably written by one really upset person, or a group of moderately upset people, who left Fathom at some point and had nothing better to do with their Independence Day than plot out this poorly executed attack. (Was alcohol involved here?) It actually makes me feel sorry for this person/group of people, because chances are, we high-fived in the hallways at Fathom and not once did I ever think you were capable of such a display of immaturity...and not the fun kind of immaturity; the kind where people go, "Wow. Why are you like this?" Come on, guys. You're better than this. If you invest the energy you've put into cyber-bullying Fathom into the positives in your life, you'll soar!

As someone who was laid off from, i.e. forced to leave Fathom, during one of their layoffs, I can attest to the heartache, shock, embarrassment and frustration that comes along with losing your job. Something like that can't be sugarcoated: it sucks. Hard. While I had a few choice words for Fathom at that time, I would never publicly slander the company, because my time there, good and bad, helped develop me into the person and professional I am today. Everything happens for a reason, and for me, personally, the grass has been greener on the other side. However, I want to make something *very* clear:

I would not have the opportunity I have today had I not gained years of top-notch digital marketing experience during my time at Fathom. I learned a ton in my role(s) there that I use daily in my new place of employment. Plus, I made some amazing friends and mentors at the company that I still go to today for advice, guidance and a few good laughs.

Did my journey with Fathom go the way I had hoped it would? No. Can Fathom improve on some things? Absolutely. However, to all the haters out there, if the grass is *truly greener* on the other side, I invite you to sit down, be humble and be thankful that life handed you a lemon you were able to turn into lemonade, because Fathom gave you a juicer (and taught you how to add vodka.) ;)

Pros:

-Working for home. (Wow, do I miss that. A lot.)
    -Casual dress. (Another one I took for granted.)
    -Wisdom Wednesdays
    -Company lunches
    -Laid back atmosphere
    -DOG FRIENDLY OFFICE
    -The chance to work with big name clients
    -PTO, 401k, benefits
    -The people (I made SO MANY amazing friends and mentors here!)

Cons

-Pay. (I know Fathom always worked to be at or above industry average, but most ex-Fathomers make a lot more money.)

-GPS has a tendency to come off like a "clique." Whether they try to or not, I think it's just something that has happened over the years.

-Job security. I'd like to add that this is a chance anyone takes working for an agency. ANY AGENCY. It's an unfortunate, but realistic part of that world.

-The company has struggled with consistently identifying, branding and marketing themselves over the past few years. It seems as if they are always on the brink of a new operating model. This has lead to much of the drama you see on this page, as well as the company's diminishing reputation. However, I'm a bit removed, so perhaps they're working on this.

Advice to Management

-Continue to listen to your people and keep offering amazing benefits.

-Learn from your mistakes, and invest more in those on the ground floor. Fathom has always been a bit top heavy, but I'm not sure that holds true anymore.

-Make sure when a solutions specialist raises their hand and says their drowning, you listen.

-Make sure the individuals you have leading specific channels/departments are actually qualified and trained in that field of expertise.

-Consider rebranding, externally and internally...including GPS. I don't foresee the reputation issues you're facing going away anytime soon

-Keep on keeping on. Everyone's a critic.

"Let me tell you what it’s really like to work at Fathom..."

I have been working at Fathom full-time

Pros

I’d like to take a moment to let you know how it really is to work for this company. If you peruse this page, I’m sure you’ll see more than a few negative, pretty terrible reviews. I’d ask you that you take time to reflect and realize that these have all been left by people who are no longer Fathom employees. They have parted ways for one reason or another and no longer have insight to what day-to-day is like at the company. There’s also some clear feelings that they’ve been slighted by the company and if “the grass is greener” on the other side, I’m so happy for you. Truly. I care about all people and wish for everyone to have a fulfilling role at a place they love where they can grow and flourish. Fathom has been just that for me, so I want to share my perspective.

I’ve worked at Fathom for a few years now. In my 8 year professional career have I ever worked somewhere that has been through so much change so frequently? No. But I don’t view that as a bad thing. Fathom is an agency, which means life there is pretty fast-paced. In the digital marketing industry, everything is pretty much ever-evolving. Client needs are changing frequently and so are what employees are looking for from a company. Fathom has leaned in to this every-changing world and has made changes in an effort to better service their clients and their employees. They also admit when a plan hasn’t gone the way they envisioned and instead of rolling with it because they don’t want to enter more change into the organization, they pivot based on feedback and experiences. I’ve never worked anywhere that looks to its employees from the ground up for feedback on business issues or is as transparent as Fathom is into results.

Speaking of employees, Fathom treats their employees very well. We have a 401k plan that cannot be matched by most companies that I’ve worked for or interviewed with. They contribute a very generous amount to employee HSA plans each month. They also contribute $250 a year to Fathomers health by reimbursing things like gym memberships, yoga classes, marathon registrations, etc. The flexible schedule at Fathom is pretty unrivaled as well. There’s no standard 8-5 in the office. You can work from home if you need to, you can structure your schedule early or later as fits your lifestyle. Granted, you need to be available for meetings that are sometimes outside of that, but this flexibility is hard to find. Fathomers are given 14 PTO days off the bat, a floating holiday, 8 holidays, and the week off between Christmas and New Years. The company allows for PTO rollover, which is unheard of in a lot of companies. And get this, on top of that time off, they reward long-standing employees with a 2 week sabbatical at 5 years and a month sabbatical at 10 years. Fathom cares about families and parents which is showcased through their generous parental leave policies. New mothers get 3 months paid in full and new fathers get 2 weeks paid in full. In addition to all of this, they invest 1.5 hours each week into growing and developing Fathomers through client management, solution-level, and business acumen trainings all to better serve our clients and to grow Fathomers into the best digital marketing experts they can be.

Fathom also cares greatly about their community. They contribute a lot back through their Fathom Gives program. They organize company-wide service days, match up to $150 in donations that Fathomers make each year into causes they care about, as well as working with a variety of pro-bono clients.

Their open office environment is fun and provides a lot of collaboration between team members. It’s energetic and always buzzing. It also makes it easy to find who you are looking for quickly when you need help or to solve a problem. Fathom balances this by having a quiet zone that you can go work in if you need it. They also are building a community room to house games, lounge areas, and possibly some support for Cold Cruiser Fridays.

If that wasn’t enough to convince you that Fathom is a great place to work, let me tell you a little bit about my experience with the work that I do every day. My role has changed greatly over the few years I’ve been at Fathom. I came in at the strategist level and have worked hard to be promoted throughout my time here. I couldn’t have done a lot of it though without the ever-changing, challenging, and complex problems from my fantastic group of clients. They’ve helped push me from a technical and strategic perspective that I was not getting out of my corporate side jobs prior. In addition, Fathom’s leadership team (GPS as it’s often referred to) has allowed me to grow by giving me a great balance of freedom to try things on my own, but is always available for advice, feedback, and guidance when I need it. Through their empowering leadership style I’ve grown significantly in terms of my management and business acumen skills.

If you’ve made it this far in my review, bravo! I know I was a little long winded. However, I felt it was important to stick up for a place that has brought me so much growth and a positive impact on my life outside of work. Have their been bumpy rides along the road? FOR SURE. Has it been worth it to ride it out? ABSOLUTELY.

Cons

Let me start this off by stating that you are going to have cons wherever you work. For me, the benefits greatly outweigh the cons (which is why I still work at Fathom).

The workload at Fathom can be overwhelming at times. I’ve work more 40+ hour weeks than I’d like to admit. Management has been more recently receptive to make changes in this area, but I can relate to the other reviews that mention this.

The pay at Fathom could be better, but it’s not terrible by any means. I’ve been approached for jobs that I would have to take a title down-grade that pay more than what I make currently. I know a lot of Fathomers who can also empathize here. It’s not to say I don’t make a decent living, I do realize I could be making more though.

The open office environment. While I listed it as a pro as well, the open office feel can be distracting and make it hard to be productive at times. While the quiet room is available, I haven’t found myself adopting it.

Advice to Management

I’d encourage you to keep doing what your doing to grow Fathom’s business and its employees. We’re headed on a great path and I truly believe in the strategic changes we are making. Fathom feels like such a different place and that’s a good thing. People are energized, they’re collaborating, it doesn’t feel cliquey, and I love it!

Consider further investigating ways to better forecast and manage team member utilization. This will help further the strides you’ve made to address overwhelming work loads.

Revisit the industry pay grades and not just from an agency level. With the trend of more and more companies bringing services in-house, you need to be more competitive with brand-side and platform-side roles.

"A great place to work"

I have been working at Fathom (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture
    Benefits
    Work from Home policy
    Challenging work

Cons

Surrounding traffic
    Occasionally work-life balance, but that’s agencies for you

"The Grass Really is Greener Elsewhere"

I worked at Fathom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home

Dogs (they really need pet therapy in that place)

It's not a terrible place to start, but best to get a year or so under your belt and then head for greener pastures

The specialists and strategists you work with day in and day out are wonderful. At least, they were until much of the talent left.

Cons

The majority of these negative reviews are absolutely spot on. The sad part is none of this is on the people actually doing the day-to-day work. The biggest problem leading to Fathom's impressively swift downfall is management.

Not a single person at the top is qualified for the position they have. Many make their own hours - some show up at 10am and leave by 3pm, some decide that a 2-day week in the office is sufficient. They preach accountability but then throw people under the bus instead of holding themselves responsible (hypocrisy, anyone?). A few have been promoted and survived layoffs even though they were the ones responsible for the strategy that failed on their largest client that cancelled. And to top it all off, they're all completely out of touch with what is happening within the marketing industry.

Before I left, I was told it's hard to find as good a place as Fathom. You've probably heard similar things about companies as well. So here's a quick comparison of my job now compared to Fathom:

• The place I'm at now actually invests in your professional development. Fathom has completely failed to actually develop its people and promote learning and knowledge (Pro tip: having internal "trainings" taught by employees there isn't actual professional development).

• I get positive instruction from my boss and others I report to on a weekly basis. I'm not put in situations where I'm set up to fail. At Fathom, you can work yourself like a dog day and night, but management will still throw you under the bus and will continue to not pay you what you're worth no matter what you do.

• There have been a couple instances where there's been disagreements between members of management and other employees. Instead of just siding with management, leadership stepped in to help work through the situation and resolve the issue. If you have a problem with a leadership member at Fathom or someone in management doesn't like you, that's a mark held against you until you leave or until they find a reason to let you go.

Being supportive, promoting employee growth, helping each other. None of that sounds out of the ordinary. It's common sense, right? Well, don't expect any of that at Fathom. No one there looks out for your interests, passions, or growth, and you'll spend stressful months trying to impress a group of people who really couldn't care less about you.

Advice to Management

How many times do you have to hear it? You guys are completely out of touch with reality. Talented, loyal employees didn't leave because of a "victim mentality" or because they wanted to. They left because you guys literally repel people with your narcissism, manipulation, and complete lack of morals, self-awareness, and the ability to treat people with dignity and respect.

Advice to ownership: Fathom isn't respected around the marketing scene in Cleveland and it's pretty well-known at this point that it's not run by good people. It's time to clean house and/or sell. You really should've done it a year ago, but better late than never.

"Big Company Politics, Tiny Company Revenue"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Fathom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home
    You get a free lesson on the downside or corporate politics? (Which shouldn't even exist in a company this small)
    You can take your dog to work (though lately even the dogs there are depressed and getting blamed for losing clients)

Cons

Fathom leadership is hopelessly arrogant and out of touch with their business. The CEO has taken a once great company with an amazing culture that used to win 'Fastest Growing Company' awards and turned it into one that is now hemorrhaging revenue, clients, and talent. The amount of meetings, buzzwords, and backstabbing feels more akin to a Fortune 500 company than a tiny agency in Cleveland...which must be because the new CEO worked at E&Y for a month 10 years ago...and reminds you of it in every meeting.

-No job security unless you're a 'chosen' follower of the CEO.
    -High turnover - everyone that can leave already has.
    -Layoffs every year, and again throughout the year as larger clients are lost
    -No matter how many hours you put in, poor company performance is blamed on lower level employees for 'not working hard enough', 'not being held accountable', or 'poor time management', though the leadership team exhibits none of these qualities.
    -Apparently taking a smoke break every 12 minutes helps get you promoted

Advice to Management

Hey - Fathom leadership - no one is buying the spin anymore. Feel free to stand in front of us in skinny jeans and a sport coat and lie that the company is doing fine, that all the negative numbers mean we're going to turn it around next month, that we're now stronger than ever after we fired top talent. That it's fine all of our top customers are leaving, because we're rolling out a new strategy that'll generate dozens of $ and save us all.

We all know it's BS. It's painful to watch, and it really should be more painful for you to say it. All the negative reviews are spot on, and we both know it.

We're all tired, so just treat us like adults, be straight with us and give us some notice before the company goes under. Don't worry though - all of our resumes are already updated.

"In the end, the truth comes out."

I worked at Fathom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot in the first few years
    My first managers were tremendous

There are decent benefits
    Healthcare and 401k are decent
    Each month company lunches

Cons

My heart is heavy to see them doing poorly
    You are not always heard
    So many good people have been slighted
    There was a lot of potential
    Everyone left there are is ill-equipped
    Rarely is there integrity and honesty
    You have to be part of the in crowd

Advice to Management

Put time and energy into your employees
    Offer to help when the workload is heavy
    Open and honest communication
    Pay your employees decently
    Energy and moral are low - fix this
    Read what people are saying, take action

"Oh boy..."

I worked at Fathom full-time

Pros

Decent PTO, WFH policy, 401k, generous family leave - the standard benefits.

They had community outreach opportunities, but I don't think that exists anymore.

Sometimes, when they are firing people, they'll give them a month or two to transition to a new job.

Cons

Overworked: You'll work well into the evening and weekends trying to get things done for (Ideal) clients that will never appreciate what you do or implement any of your data driven suggestions - but they'll expect results! You'll be asked to do a million tasks in a day from 20 different people, but you'll be told you need to be more accountable. They'll coach you on the importance of work/life balance (thanks to Sir Tony Robbins), all while piling unrealistic amounts of garage tasks on your shoulders.

Senior management: Out of touch with reality, they don't know a thing about the industry or the solutions they're managing. They complain you need to work harder, all while taking an outrageous amount of smoke and coffee breaks. Some stroll into the office for a 2pm meeting and leave immediately after. They'll also fire ("layoff") people for no reason other than out of spite.

Sales: is a joke.

Solutions: They hold some solutions as their golden child(ren), while the rest of us would work like the unloved step-child, trying to gain their approval. They'll fire solution leads for not growing a team fast enough with literally no support.

No morals: They'll ask employees to lie about why they're being fired/laid off. They've lied to their employees faces; promising no layoffs, immediately after laying people off. They expect the already overloaded employees to "pick up the slack" when they let someone go. The term "cogs" has been used to describe lower ranked employees. They'll ask people to reconsider staying, after they've screwed that person over. They've made people cry and feel terrible about themselves.

Allocated time: is for suckers.

Advice to Management

Management won't listen. They've fired everyone who could make a difference and put themselves in safe positions with fancy, executive titles.

For the employees still there: take the red pill.