Fathom Reviews

Updated Sep 2, 2020

2.6
Fathom CEO Steve Kessen  (no image)
Steve Kessen
Pros
Cons
  • "Senior management wants to express their opinions/ideas, but they do NOT want any of the responsibility(in 6 reviews)

• "Simply put, Fathom treats everyone as expendable and no one is safe(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great place"

5.0
    Current Employee - Strategist

I have been working at Fathom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy it at Fathom

Cons

Agency comes with big opportunity but sometimes a lot of work

2. "Great place"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Fathom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learned a lot from smart people

Cons

None come to mind right now

"Keep on looking!"

Former Employee - Content Strategist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Fathom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will make some friends.

Cons

Please read through the reviews of this company. Leadership posted a while back that for every 3 negatives there are 10 positives or some nonsense, but that's just simply not true. Your best day here will be your last. I won't drone on and repeat what my fellow peeps have already said. But seriously... keep looking. You don't need a job THAT bad to work here.

Continue reading

"Where unchecked white male privilege and toxic masculinity lives and breathe"

2.0

I worked at Fathom full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've heard a lot of people say Fathom is a good first job for recent college graduates. To a degree, since many of the employees are young, Fathom can feel like college 2.0 and that is probably a comforting environment for some. However, Fathom's general chaos, egotistical leadership, passive aggressive delivery teams, and general overcompensation to show transparency that doesn't exist doesn't set up recent college graduates up for long-term career success. Fathom is a study in how an organization and professional services firm SHOULD NOT be run. If anything, Fathom can serve as a baseline of things to AVOID at all costs in future jobs and organizations. Due to sheer inability to organize and deliver professional services, Fathom creates a top-down culture that is run by toxic masculinity, unchecked white male privilege, and mean girl politics. Not one person in leadership is capable of empathy or authenticity. Everything is a show. Every data point or success metric is skewed. Nothing is real. And if should an employee ever question the sheer degree of nonsense that infects every single part of the Fathom business, that employee immediately is deemed a threat. Employees that are deemed as threats then carry a target on their back, will be denied promotions, and will be repeatedly be forced to drink the kool-aid to prove their allegiance to Fathom's non-stop stream of nonsense. Eventually these employees leave as quickly as they can or are pushed out. Fun fact! They are especially treated poorly and receive harsher punishments if they're female.

Cons

Fathom is run by a bunch of inexperienced email specialists that collectively got together and read "How to Do Business Like a Bunch of Dummies." No one in leadership has any experience outside of Fathom. In fact, many of Fathom leaders actually failed in other positions and organizations, yet find themselves rewarded at Fathom for their ineffectiveness, poor organizational roadmapping, and total lack of execution skills and ability. The organization completely changed its business model from being a SEO-focused professional services agency to reinventing itself as a digital marketing consultancy. While Fathom 2.0 looks like a world-class consulting agency, at its core Fathom is a bunch of inexperienced, channel-specific specialists pretending to talk about aligning to business goals when no one there has ever worked at a real business EVER. All the solutions Fathom puts forth are specific to Fathom's internal teams specialties and skills. Fathom is a Marketo shop with a bunch of people that can put ads on Google and Facebook. They are execution ONLY. There is no actual digital marketing strategy occurring. If you want to send some emails or put an ad online, by all means talk to Fathom. Or save yourself a whole lotta $$$ and just google it then do it yourself.

Continue reading

"Amazing Company. Cannot Recommend Enough"

5.0

I have been working at Fathom full-time

Pros

The company culture is unmatched with amazing opportunities for growth.

Cons

Can be hard to find a work/life balance but direct supports are always willing to help prioritize.

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Senior Strategist in Valley View, OH

I worked at Fathom full-time

Pros

Free coffee and snacks.

Cons

Very political. Felt like very senior people were more interested in telling nice stories to clients that don't know better, than doing great work. I could never recommend someone I care about to work at Fathom, or pay for their services.

"Don’t let the rebranding fool you"

Current Employee - Digital Strategist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Fathom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the good people are still here

Cons

Same crappy company with same crappy leadership. I have been here for over 3 years. I am about to leave, because enough is enough. I have seen this company continually go down the drain. What is worse is that I have seen everything good of this company get stripped from it. Now, we are stuck with a leadership team full of back stabbers who believe in politics over performance. That is the only way some of the individuals could be promoted into the spots they are in. What’s more, is that they continually diminish those that work hard and put the company first. If you aren’t in the inner circle and drink the kool-aid then you “aren’t on the bus” and are treated horribly (even if your performance is good). They just rebranded as an attempt to save this failing company. Don’t let it fool you, don’t waste your time. Go to one of the many other agencies in Cleveland – they are growing fast and filled with good people (aka all the top digital marketers that left Fathom for greener pastures!)

Continue reading

"hire young, pay little... churn and burn"

2.0
    Current Employee - Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Fathom full-time for more than a year

Pros

- "culture" - the people - good place to learn and then leave for reasonable pay

Cons

- low, low pay - management only pretends to care about people; they care about the money and business first

"You Can't Sit With Us."

I worked at Fathom full-time

Pros

Raise your hand if you've ever felt personally victimized by online bullying... This Glassdoor page has "Regina George" written all over it, but instead of writing in the ever-so-popular "Burn Book," those who feel angry or oppressed by a specific employee, GPS member, Fathom as a whole...or heck, feel like living out some angst-filled teenage dream that wasn't fulfilled at an acceptable age, (you know, like high school,) seem to use this site to bash, criticize and specifically call people out all while claiming, "The grass is greener on the other side." For those of you who do not understand the aforementioned reference, it's okay, I got you; Google "Mean Girls" ...but seriously, #educateyourself on this phenomenal piece of artistry. I digress... The age of "hiding behind the screen" is here, and its reality is no more prevalent than on sites like Glassdoor. While giving employees (and previous employees) a platform to speak openly and anonymously about their experiences with a company can be a positive tool, readers should keep in mind that people are 3x more likely to write a negative review about a poor experience than those who had a positive experience. For every negative experience you're reading here, there is a positive a match. However, those experiences aren't making it on Glassdoor, because #science. It's easy to hop online and profess your hatred of someone when you're not having to stare them in the face. Publicly calling out people by name anonymously, online is the cowardly move. There are two sides to every story, and while the recent storm of Fathom-bashing posts have some validity that highlights existing cons to working for the organization, their tone and nature are childish and show a complete lack of professionalism. (Maybe this is part of the reason you/or ya'll don't work there anymore?....#micdrop) I like to live by one rule, especially when perusing the interwebz: If it seems fishy, it probably is. The five most recent negative posts are within a day or two of each other. No major changes have been made at Fathom since February, so there most likely isn't a group of recently disgruntled ex-Fathomers blowing up this page. These posts were probably written by one really upset person, or a group of moderately upset people, who left Fathom at some point and had nothing better to do with their Independence Day than plot out this poorly executed attack. (Was alcohol involved here?) It actually makes me feel sorry for this person/group of people, because chances are, we high-fived in the hallways at Fathom and not once did I ever think you were capable of such a display of immaturity...and not the fun kind of immaturity; the kind where people go, "Wow. Why are you like this?" Come on, guys. You're better than this. If you invest the energy you've put into cyber-bullying Fathom into the positives in your life, you'll soar! As someone who was laid off from, i.e. forced to leave Fathom, during one of their layoffs, I can attest to the heartache, shock, embarrassment and frustration that comes along with losing your job. Something like that can't be sugarcoated: it sucks. Hard. While I had a few choice words for Fathom at that time, I would never publicly slander the company, because my time there, good and bad, helped develop me into the person and professional I am today. Everything happens for a reason, and for me, personally, the grass has been greener on the other side. However, I want to make something *very* clear: I would not have the opportunity I have today had I not gained years of top-notch digital marketing experience during my time at Fathom. I learned a ton in my role(s) there that I use daily in my new place of employment. Plus, I made some amazing friends and mentors at the company that I still go to today for advice, guidance and a few good laughs. Did my journey with Fathom go the way I had hoped it would? No. Can Fathom improve on some things? Absolutely. However, to all the haters out there, if the grass is *truly greener* on the other side, I invite you to sit down, be humble and be thankful that life handed you a lemon you were able to turn into lemonade, because Fathom gave you a juicer (and taught you how to add vodka.) ;) Pros: -Working for home. (Wow, do I miss that. A lot.) -Casual dress. (Another one I took for granted.) -Wisdom Wednesdays -Company lunches -Laid back atmosphere -DOG FRIENDLY OFFICE -The chance to work with big name clients -PTO, 401k, benefits -The people (I made SO MANY amazing friends and mentors here!)

Cons

-Pay. (I know Fathom always worked to be at or above industry average, but most ex-Fathomers make a lot more money.) -GPS has a tendency to come off like a "clique." Whether they try to or not, I think it's just something that has happened over the years. -Job security. I'd like to add that this is a chance anyone takes working for an agency. ANY AGENCY. It's an unfortunate, but realistic part of that world. -The company has struggled with consistently identifying, branding and marketing themselves over the past few years. It seems as if they are always on the brink of a new operating model. This has lead to much of the drama you see on this page, as well as the company's diminishing reputation. However, I'm a bit removed, so perhaps they're working on this.

Continue reading

"Let me tell you what it’s really like to work at Fathom..."

I have been working at Fathom full-time

Pros

I’d like to take a moment to let you know how it really is to work for this company. If you peruse this page, I’m sure you’ll see more than a few negative, pretty terrible reviews. I’d ask you that you take time to reflect and realize that these have all been left by people who are no longer Fathom employees. They have parted ways for one reason or another and no longer have insight to what day-to-day is like at the company. There’s also some clear feelings that they’ve been slighted by the company and if “the grass is greener” on the other side, I’m so happy for you. Truly. I care about all people and wish for everyone to have a fulfilling role at a place they love where they can grow and flourish. Fathom has been just that for me, so I want to share my perspective. I’ve worked at Fathom for a few years now. In my 8 year professional career have I ever worked somewhere that has been through so much change so frequently? No. But I don’t view that as a bad thing. Fathom is an agency, which means life there is pretty fast-paced. In the digital marketing industry, everything is pretty much ever-evolving. Client needs are changing frequently and so are what employees are looking for from a company. Fathom has leaned in to this every-changing world and has made changes in an effort to better service their clients and their employees. They also admit when a plan hasn’t gone the way they envisioned and instead of rolling with it because they don’t want to enter more change into the organization, they pivot based on feedback and experiences. I’ve never worked anywhere that looks to its employees from the ground up for feedback on business issues or is as transparent as Fathom is into results. Speaking of employees, Fathom treats their employees very well. We have a 401k plan that cannot be matched by most companies that I’ve worked for or interviewed with. They contribute a very generous amount to employee HSA plans each month. They also contribute $250 a year to Fathomers health by reimbursing things like gym memberships, yoga classes, marathon registrations, etc. The flexible schedule at Fathom is pretty unrivaled as well. There’s no standard 8-5 in the office. You can work from home if you need to, you can structure your schedule early or later as fits your lifestyle. Granted, you need to be available for meetings that are sometimes outside of that, but this flexibility is hard to find. Fathomers are given 14 PTO days off the bat, a floating holiday, 8 holidays, and the week off between Christmas and New Years. The company allows for PTO rollover, which is unheard of in a lot of companies. And get this, on top of that time off, they reward long-standing employees with a 2 week sabbatical at 5 years and a month sabbatical at 10 years. Fathom cares about families and parents which is showcased through their generous parental leave policies. New mothers get 3 months paid in full and new fathers get 2 weeks paid in full. In addition to all of this, they invest 1.5 hours each week into growing and developing Fathomers through client management, solution-level, and business acumen trainings all to better serve our clients and to grow Fathomers into the best digital marketing experts they can be. Fathom also cares greatly about their community. They contribute a lot back through their Fathom Gives program. They organize company-wide service days, match up to $150 in donations that Fathomers make each year into causes they care about, as well as working with a variety of pro-bono clients. Their open office environment is fun and provides a lot of collaboration between team members. It’s energetic and always buzzing. It also makes it easy to find who you are looking for quickly when you need help or to solve a problem. Fathom balances this by having a quiet zone that you can go work in if you need it. They also are building a community room to house games, lounge areas, and possibly some support for Cold Cruiser Fridays. If that wasn’t enough to convince you that Fathom is a great place to work, let me tell you a little bit about my experience with the work that I do every day. My role has changed greatly over the few years I’ve been at Fathom. I came in at the strategist level and have worked hard to be promoted throughout my time here. I couldn’t have done a lot of it though without the ever-changing, challenging, and complex problems from my fantastic group of clients. They’ve helped push me from a technical and strategic perspective that I was not getting out of my corporate side jobs prior. In addition, Fathom’s leadership team (GPS as it’s often referred to) has allowed me to grow by giving me a great balance of freedom to try things on my own, but is always available for advice, feedback, and guidance when I need it. Through their empowering leadership style I’ve grown significantly in terms of my management and business acumen skills. If you’ve made it this far in my review, bravo! I know I was a little long winded. However, I felt it was important to stick up for a place that has brought me so much growth and a positive impact on my life outside of work. Have their been bumpy rides along the road? FOR SURE. Has it been worth it to ride it out? ABSOLUTELY.

Cons

Let me start this off by stating that you are going to have cons wherever you work. For me, the benefits greatly outweigh the cons (which is why I still work at Fathom). The workload at Fathom can be overwhelming at times. I’ve work more 40+ hour weeks than I’d like to admit. Management has been more recently receptive to make changes in this area, but I can relate to the other reviews that mention this. The pay at Fathom could be better, but it’s not terrible by any means. I’ve been approached for jobs that I would have to take a title down-grade that pay more than what I make currently. I know a lot of Fathomers who can also empathize here. It’s not to say I don’t make a decent living, I do realize I could be making more though. The open office environment. While I listed it as a pro as well, the open office feel can be distracting and make it hard to be productive at times. While the quiet room is available, I haven’t found myself adopting it.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 77 English Reviews