FedEx Office Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

FedEx Office President and CEO Brian D. Philips
Brian D. Philips

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is difficult due to staffing fluctuations (in 46 reviews)

• Relocating (despite availability of positions and locations) during a move to a new area is difficult, High turnover of fellow team members (in 117 reviews)

1. "Center Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Center Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Center Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

I love working and helping the customers. When I deliver packages to them and see the happiness on their faces lets me know that they are satisfied with my service.

Cons

none available yet everything has been a joy

Advice to Management

cut online trainings out

2. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly laid back work environment

Cons

Management short staffing low pay for employees stressful

3. "Cool Company Not For Long Term Employment"

Current Employee - Center Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Center Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time

Pros

Pay is decent
    Flexible schedule
    Flexible on overtime
    Consistent Hours

Cons

Always short staff
    High expectation
    Difficult customers

"Its...a job. Not something you want to keep doing longer than you have to."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn how to deal with different personality types/ management styles. There's a lot of camaraderie to be built between employees across locations. If you come in the door with creative problem solving and technical skills, it can be super easy and repetitive in that aspect. However, you might get bored and not like people and spreadsheets enough to even want to move up to management.

Cons

The workload and dealing with customer's can get overwhelming, and there's usually a lot of pressure to have everything perfect and finished before the store closes. You have to arbitrarily watch numbers. It feels like you're being underpaid for attempting do all the extra stuff corporate thinks* you should be doing to improve business.

Advice to Management

I wish district level management could have more control over the business. A lot of the business-wide trickle-down garbage from corporate to make us somehow forever more engaged than we already are is a waste of precious time .

5. "Center Specialist"

Former Employee - Center Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Center Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Learning new skills
    Customer interact
    Networking

Cons

Bad managers
    Not consistent at every store
    Overworked

Advice to Management

Be organize and consistent at locations

6. "Good place to gain experience right out of school"

Former Employee - Center Lead Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Center Lead Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at FedEx Office full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Can move up within the company
    Is an easy and fun job provided you have/ are good center manager.
    District managers and center managers from other stores in your district will help/support you.

Cons

Very stressful depending on location/season.There is a massive workload, without the pay to show for it due to the payroll restrictions. They have written policy on everything down to how you must breathe in the centers. Customers are always screaming for help in the self-service area where they often expect you to think FOR them beyond helping them figure out the computer rentals and copiers. For example, there is not enough time for me to help you fill out YOUR job application while helping other customers, completing orders, etc. Good customer service means going above and beyond sometimes, but that is where I draw the line. Even when you acknowledge customers waiting-many are rude and impatient.
     Some managers don't know how to train and improve their team without micromanaging and treating team like children.
    Consequentially, When the team starts collapsing ,the more experienced team members won't take the initiative to help in these instances (probably due to low pay/morale)
    The focus is on avoiding failures instead of positive reinforcement-High expectations vs. reality. Some of the petty incentives they offer for selling certain products are a waste of time.
    After a while you'll just feel like a cog in a crappy machine feeding profits to people sitting in a boardroom.

7. "Horrible experience; terrible management"

Former Employee - Center Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Center Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at FedEx Office (Less than a year)

Pros

Very team focused. The company tries to keep a great image and morale with employees through competitions, promotions and rapport.

Cons

Terrible management. Upper management taking too long to handle time sensitive issues, lack of up to date software and hardware, flawed methods of practice

Advice to Management

Revise your management plan. It needs work. In the age of the startup; today's business models must be different, sharp and innovative.

8. "FedEx offices sales consultant and production"

Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Customer Service Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

FedEx is such a wonderful start to my career. I have some of the best coworkers and managers I have ever known and the customers are always great at best. I know that when I am really doing my part everything in my work day is a breeze. You have to truly love what you do and here at FedEx office I feel that way. I would certainty recommend to people I know. Pay starts at $12 a hour and my schedule works for me. Expect to be on your toes a lot too, because I personally love having stuff to do that productive on a constant basis.

Cons

There are none I have to say!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, stay progressive, and keep the family teamwork going.

9. "Good Company but unfocused direction"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedEx Office full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great and hard working. Training is adequate. Flexibility is good. Work and Life balance is good.

Cons

Direction of sales force and compensation plan changes constantly. Company's direction seems to be scattered no central focus. Too many cumbersome, redundant systems. Develop better compensation plans across the board

Advice to Management

Develop clear and defined direction. Develop a consistent and fair sales plan. Reduce redundant systems for reporting

"Worse than you can imagine!"

Current Employee - Lead Project Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Project Coordinator in Washington, DC

Pros

It's better than being unemployed and even part-time employees can get benefits.

Cons

FedEx Office promises customers things (and forces employees to promise things - employees are not allowed to say no to something they know they can't do) that can't be delivered, and then don't provide enough staff or good working equipment to succeed at what they promise. Consequently, everyone always has to work harder than they should and while under enormous pressure - not to mention having to apologize to customers about a dozen times a day.

FedEx Corporate gives individual stores arbitrary "plan" numbers to meet every month and all of the individual managers (being former employees who failed to get a better job for a long enough time that they became managers) think they can meet this "plan" by cutting payroll, not realizing that, as a consequence, customers then have to stand on line all the time and receive their print jobs incorrect and late. Most center managers know how to sweep problems under the rug and juke the stats so upper management doesn't know the real done late/done wrong record of these stores.

The customers are another thing: You can't imagine how much bullying FedEx Office employees have to suffer from mean, arrogant, self-important customers who tell you you're going to do what they want NOW. People must think FedEx Office employees are the lowest life form on the planet because someone could be the assistant to the assistant to the assistant or someone nobody's ever heard of, and when they walk into a FedEx Office, they take on this bully attitude and treat the people who work there like utter crap.

The only reason to work for FedEx Office is if you are unemployed. It's a step-down from almost anything else.

Advice to Management

You should have never gone into the "printing" business. It's clear nobody in senior management knows anything about printing, because if they did, they would never put someone in a position where they're trying to focus on "prepress" work while someone is standing eight feet away yelling, "Excuse me! Can I have some help over here!"

Stick to shipping.