FedSolutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Sonny Choudhury

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Solid company and team, have worked at FedSolutions 4.5 years"

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time

Pros

I have worked at FedSolutions 4.5 years and have had outstanding growth in my career and worked (overall/the vast majority) with fair and kind people. Work closely on all types of networks, clients, personalities. A team first / client first culture (Hasmik particularly will go out of her way to help any employee or client). SMB issues and challenges, but employees are reasonable - so we all try to help out each other and clients. Outstanding part of DC (places to eat, after work items).

Cons

No sink in kitchen (this is being added in 2016 though), parking in this park of DC is brutal - also the roads are tough to navigate because of traffic (many staff use metro because of this). Employees must be able to wear many hats at times (handle different roles), this is part of the start up world, not just FS.

"Rough patch roller coaster"

Current Employee - Technician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technician in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in different environments and learning IT here is pretty rewarding. There's not a lot of resources to learn from if you're new or starting in IT. But overall, the learning part of it, if you work hard to learn things yourself, this isn't a bad place.

Cons

The environment is not as good as it can be. Resources are spread too thin around here. Office attitude and respects of others should be enforced but is difficult when the same management leading the company is also an HR personnel.

Advice to Management

I don't know if it was a test, but there were times where other co-workers would suggest others to move on from the company or even help to look for another. I would think it is not their place to encourage such activities from senior engineers or long employees that work there. A lot of things are kept in the closet. Open your honest communication instead of sugar coating company's outlook.

3. "A Truthful Review"

Current Employee - Projects & Engineering Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Projects & Engineering Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

FedSolutions is an excellent place to work for someone who is detail-oriented, naturally inquisitive, and values going above and beyond for a customer. If you take pride in all of your work and enjoy devising creative and effective solutions to complex technical issues, you will thrive here.

It is certainly a fast-paced and demanding environment, but it is also incredibly rewarding for those who are willing to put in the necessary effort.

I have been with the company for over six years and have progressed from a Junior Analyst Service Desk technician up to a fully certified Network Engineer, Project Manager, and Department manager. All 14 of my Microsoft certifications were sponsored and paid for by FedSolutions and I am currently working on a PMP certification. The only company requirement for this sponsorship has been my commitment to diligently study for my exams and to pass them. It should also be noted that nearly all of our Senior Analysts and Project Engineers began with FedSolutions as Junior Analysts on the Service Desk team. If this doesn't illustrate FedSolutions' commitment to professional development, I don't know what could.

The Service Desk team itself has grown significantly over the past two years to become a dynamic and fun group of young and young-at-heart individuals. There is a persistent friendly competition over service metrics, including the chance to win an occasional prize based on ticket count or customer accolades, and there are frequently (good-natured ) office pranks. 'April Fools' day is always a particularly entertaining day.

Anyone who claims that my review is fake or embellished sadly has an axe to grind. There are at least five other current employees who are not on the executive team who could tell a similar story to my own and who have been proud to work here between three and six years.

I would also like to point out the numerous grammatical errors found in most of the recent negative reviews.

FedSolutions strives to achieve exceptional customer service not only through technical ability, innovation and accuracy, but also through strong communication skills and professionalism.
    We believe it is these two latter points that set us apart from most of our local competition.

Performing at these standards demands a particular attention to detail that goes beyond having sound technical knowledge. This would include the ability to form coherent sentences and the personal pride to ensure that any item posted on a public forum is written to the best of your ability.

We have never terminated an employee for lacking attention to detail in itself, but it has certainly proven symptomatic of larger issues with several former employees.

Other benefits include:

- Centrally located within 4 blocks of Farragut West and North metro stations (Red, Orange, Silver and Blue lines).

- In the heart of 'The Golden Triangle' area with plenty of excellent lunch options.

- Frequent performance-based incentives and raises.

- Fosters a good work-life balance and generously compensates staff who volunteer for occasional weekend support or project work. (I assumed that this would be found at every IT company, but recent hires have told me that this is actually fairly rare!)

Cons

FedSolutions has experienced considerable growth over the past four years, and this has not been without 'growing pains' or internal challenges. This initial growth period overwhelmed a few team members and the issue was compounded by a few staff departures. Having 'survived' this period, I am absolutely confident that the company has taken significant organizational and operational steps to avoid encountering this particular challenge again.

The benefits package is on-par with other small and start-up businesses, and these continue to expand with growth. The current Health and Dental benefits are truly top-shelf.

After six years, I can confidently say that the executive team is genuinely invested in trying to make FedSolutions both highly successful and a wonderful place to work. Contrary to the perception of some, the executive team and management has always been entirely committed to growing the company for the sake of it's dedicated employees.

It is no secret that tempers can occasionally flare or erupt into a cacophony of French, but
    the truth of the matter is that they have bent over backwards for every single one of the long-term employees who have shown loyalty and dedication.

Nevertheless, we have accumulated a small number of 'disgruntled' employees over the years, as is clearly evident on this website. It should be noted that all of these individuals were terminated for cause and after multiple formal and informal warnings, coaching and chances to improve. Every recent termination has centered around a terrible attitude, a lack of attention to detail, and a propensity to frequently bad-mouth peers, managers and customers.

Advice to Management

Keep working to grow the company and continue to develop it into the wonderful place it has become.

"Kinda fun with a big learning curve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Throwing yourself into different situations where you have to think on your feet and research, Manage Service Provider is the way to go. You'll be learning a lot with companies similar to this kind of setup. It is metro accessible which is really nice.

Cons

It's harder to see things positively at this company. They can be so much better but they do struggle quite a lot in areas where other companies do not. If you're looking to get into the Manage Service Provider, you may want to look at other companies that are well established in the metropolitan area.

Advice to Management

Being calm with your employees will make the environment better. Keep your promise on raises that you say you will be giving an understand your faults.

"One of the few companies that actually cares about it's employees"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Fedsolutions full-time for about 4 years and can say for sure it is one of the few companies that actually cares about it's employees. Very friendly work environment. Everyone is helpful. Great team. Perfect location.

Cons

No real complaints about Fedsolutions

"Been there for years, and it hasn't changed one bit"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of technology to learn from. I had the pleasure of working with Shortel, Systems and Network infrastructure for multiple clients. The work has given me flexible work schedule and have been fortunate enough to do my own work. The position has given me the ability to work independently which is a plus.

Cons

Driving into DC or having to do so can be a pain. There is a lot of people that turnover and a lot of things are learned on the fly. If you are good at searching online for the solution, then you are pretty much good to work here. Management can be an open door policy, but I would advise to keep things to yourself. Nothing is secret at the office. Resources are pretty thin with the turnover of employees so it is hard to keep up with the demand.

Advice to Management

No comment

"Stuck in Limbo"

I worked at FedSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is the kind of company that could be a good if they valued their staff more, and focused more on good work instead of acquiring clients/pay.

-good place to get entry level experience
    -exposure to different clients and environments
    -flexible vacation time/medical time
    -average insurance benefits

Cons

Contrary to many of the fake reviews on here written by upper management, the entire office wreaks of frustration and stress. It is a very low morale office despite upper management's attempts to hide it.

-occasionally dishonest to clients, prospective clients
    -low resources that continually dwindle for the client load
    -many, many promises that go unfulfilled to clients and staff
    -if you do good work, you will get more work and not be rewarded
    -upper management will take any and every shortcut that presents itself
    -offer the lowest salaries in the IT industry
    -continually worsening quality of work over the years
    -no 401k unless you are in the "big boy club"

Advice to Management

-stop feeding unrealistic expectations to clients and staff
    -focus on doing actual good work above meeting quotas

If you want the staff to be happy with you, don't resent them and treat them better.

"Outstanding people (kind and fun) -"

Pros

Great culture. The team is comprised of kind/fun/kind/solid people. The team as a whole cares about its clients and each other. Great location in the city (metro, lunches, etc). Exciting and dynamic industry. Fun (and often) company happy hours.

Cons

No kitchen, would like part of cell plan covered.

Advice to Management

Keep offering more training and create plan to pay cell plans.

"Great Place to work for!"

Pros

Managements are great
    Great place to learn
    Prime Location in downtown DC
    Great Clients portfolio in manged services

Cons

fast pace, some people will get left behind

Advice to Management

continue the great work!

"Plastic Surgery, Fake to cover the truth."

I worked at FedSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot in a short amount of time. Close to the metro.

Cons

The reason I learned a lot was due to upper management leaving me to fend for myself in the middle of a wolf den.

Management:
    Upper management is a mess and likes to make false promises to their employees. Anything to keep their workers going just a little longer. They speak about family but everyone is expendable to them once you reach your peak or come to realization of how things are really run there. Any complaints stated to management go in one ear and out the other while they relay false hopes to keep you chugging along.

Service Desk:
    A dump yard is the best description that relates to how things are run. The coordinators pile tickets on those who will get the work done while leaving the ones who do nothing alone. Their mindset is as long as work is done then all is good but that is incorrect. They will drive you into the ground if you are a good worker. Communication is the biggest issue among the higher ends of the service desk. They do not speak with each other and then everyone panics due to client complaints which usually leads to one of the engineers having to make a emergency run to a client site to fix something at the last second.

Advice to Management

Learn to micromanage your workers better. Hire new employees who are enthused to work and remove those who are unwilling. Do not burn out your good workers while the bad workers sit back and get rewarded with less work.