FedSolutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Sonny Choudhury

1. "A Truthful Review"

Current Employee - Projects & Engineering Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Projects & Engineering Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

FedSolutions is an excellent place to work for someone who is detail-oriented, naturally inquisitive, and values going above and beyond for a customer. If you take pride in all of your work and enjoy devising creative and effective solutions to complex technical issues, you will thrive here.

It is certainly a fast-paced and demanding environment, but it is also incredibly rewarding for those who are willing to put in the necessary effort.

I have been with the company for over six years and have progressed from a Junior Analyst Service Desk technician up to a fully certified Network Engineer, Project Manager, and Department manager. All 14 of my Microsoft certifications were sponsored and paid for by FedSolutions and I am currently working on a PMP certification. The only company requirement for this sponsorship has been my commitment to diligently study for my exams and to pass them. It should also be noted that nearly all of our Senior Analysts and Project Engineers began with FedSolutions as Junior Analysts on the Service Desk team. If this doesn't illustrate FedSolutions' commitment to professional development, I don't know what could.

The Service Desk team itself has grown significantly over the past two years to become a dynamic and fun group of young and young-at-heart individuals. There is a persistent friendly competition over service metrics, including the chance to win an occasional prize based on ticket count or customer accolades, and there are frequently (good-natured ) office pranks. 'April Fools' day is always a particularly entertaining day.

Anyone who claims that my review is fake or embellished sadly has an axe to grind. There are at least five other current employees who are not on the executive team who could tell a similar story to my own and who have been proud to work here between three and six years.

I would also like to point out the numerous grammatical errors found in most of the recent negative reviews.

FedSolutions strives to achieve exceptional customer service not only through technical ability, innovation and accuracy, but also through strong communication skills and professionalism.
    We believe it is these two latter points that set us apart from most of our local competition.

Performing at these standards demands a particular attention to detail that goes beyond having sound technical knowledge. This would include the ability to form coherent sentences and the personal pride to ensure that any item posted on a public forum is written to the best of your ability.

We have never terminated an employee for lacking attention to detail in itself, but it has certainly proven symptomatic of larger issues with several former employees.

Other benefits include:

- Centrally located within 4 blocks of Farragut West and North metro stations (Red, Orange, Silver and Blue lines).

- In the heart of 'The Golden Triangle' area with plenty of excellent lunch options.

- Frequent performance-based incentives and raises.

- Fosters a good work-life balance and generously compensates staff who volunteer for occasional weekend support or project work. (I assumed that this would be found at every IT company, but recent hires have told me that this is actually fairly rare!)

Cons

FedSolutions has experienced considerable growth over the past four years, and this has not been without 'growing pains' or internal challenges. This initial growth period overwhelmed a few team members and the issue was compounded by a few staff departures. Having 'survived' this period, I am absolutely confident that the company has taken significant organizational and operational steps to avoid encountering this particular challenge again.

The benefits package is on-par with other small and start-up businesses, and these continue to expand with growth. The current Health and Dental benefits are truly top-shelf.

After six years, I can confidently say that the executive team is genuinely invested in trying to make FedSolutions both highly successful and a wonderful place to work. Contrary to the perception of some, the executive team and management has always been entirely committed to growing the company for the sake of it's dedicated employees.

It is no secret that tempers can occasionally flare or erupt into a cacophony of French, but
    the truth of the matter is that they have bent over backwards for every single one of the long-term employees who have shown loyalty and dedication.

Nevertheless, we have accumulated a small number of 'disgruntled' employees over the years, as is clearly evident on this website. It should be noted that all of these individuals were terminated for cause and after multiple formal and informal warnings, coaching and chances to improve. Every recent termination has centered around a terrible attitude, a lack of attention to detail, and a propensity to frequently bad-mouth peers, managers and customers.

Advice to Management

Keep working to grow the company and continue to develop it into the wonderful place it has become.

"Rough patch roller coaster"

Current Employee - Technician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technician in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in different environments and learning IT here is pretty rewarding. There's not a lot of resources to learn from if you're new or starting in IT. But overall, the learning part of it, if you work hard to learn things yourself, this isn't a bad place.

Cons

The environment is not as good as it can be. Resources are spread too thin around here. Office attitude and respects of others should be enforced but is difficult when the same management leading the company is also an HR personnel.

Advice to Management

I don't know if it was a test, but there were times where other co-workers would suggest others to move on from the company or even help to look for another. I would think it is not their place to encourage such activities from senior engineers or long employees that work there. A lot of things are kept in the closet. Open your honest communication instead of sugar coating company's outlook.

"Kinda fun with a big learning curve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Throwing yourself into different situations where you have to think on your feet and research, Manage Service Provider is the way to go. You'll be learning a lot with companies similar to this kind of setup. It is metro accessible which is really nice.

Cons

It's harder to see things positively at this company. They can be so much better but they do struggle quite a lot in areas where other companies do not. If you're looking to get into the Manage Service Provider, you may want to look at other companies that are well established in the metropolitan area.

Advice to Management

Being calm with your employees will make the environment better. Keep your promise on raises that you say you will be giving an understand your faults.

"One of the few companies that actually cares about it's employees"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Fedsolutions full-time for about 4 years and can say for sure it is one of the few companies that actually cares about it's employees. Very friendly work environment. Everyone is helpful. Great team. Perfect location.

Cons

No real complaints about Fedsolutions

"Been there for years, and it hasn't changed one bit"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of technology to learn from. I had the pleasure of working with Shortel, Systems and Network infrastructure for multiple clients. The work has given me flexible work schedule and have been fortunate enough to do my own work. The position has given me the ability to work independently which is a plus.

Cons

Driving into DC or having to do so can be a pain. There is a lot of people that turnover and a lot of things are learned on the fly. If you are good at searching online for the solution, then you are pretty much good to work here. Management can be an open door policy, but I would advise to keep things to yourself. Nothing is secret at the office. Resources are pretty thin with the turnover of employees so it is hard to keep up with the demand.

Advice to Management

No comment

7. "Best place to work anyone can ask for"

Current Employee - Network Administrative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Network Administrative in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my 4 years here, the company has grown far beyond my expectations
    Great all around team - technical staff, inside/outside sales, management are all wonderful
    Laid back culture, positive work environment
    Company is vested in our well-being; there is unlimited room for growth
    Management promotes and compensates taking certifications
    Office is in perfect location, clients are all close by

Cons

No 401K, could use that

"We would love to go above and beyond for our clients...but we simply can't."

Current Employee - Support in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Support in Washington, DC

I have been working at FedSolutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth and promotion;
    Opportunity to learn new technologies;
    Fast paced and exciting environment;
    Close to metro;
    In the heart of the DC area;
    Nice shared office.

Cons

Difficult to keep up with the demands of clients;
    Unable to support with the staff that we have; many are not knowledgeable in the the area of IT, even though they work here.
    Management can be open but very closed minded.
    Getting training is difficult even when they want to push us to get certifications.
    No benefits.
    Shortel provider but support of them is difficult because no one is advance in that technology.
    We have monitoring tools that are no broken.
    Need to upgrade on new technology internally before trying to assist clients first.

Advice to Management

Really try to change the place. Your turn overrate is TOO high. Nothing against using craiglist to find workers, but why not try to use a recruiter to higher knowledgeable workers to run the company. Try to blame yourselves a bit and lose the ego.

"it's like a Family in here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The upper management treats employees with respect,
    Great location.
    Freedom to pursuit more I.T knowledge if desired
    Feels like we are just one big happy Family.
    Treat each other with respect, NO BS here
    Fun place to work.

Cons

No 401K
    just like any start up company, growing pains.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work, let's continue to grow together.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Friendly work environment – people smile more than not around the office
    Very Organized - Management - Sales - Engineers
    Clearly defined ownership of projects and responsibilities
    Approachable Upper Management
    Good solid team that is willing to help lower level staff
    Encourage continued education and training
    Opportunities for advancement are clearly laid out (eg. More certifications = opportunity)
    Well stocked fridge

Cons

Leeway is given on many projects – more than enough slack to hang yourself
    *Big Boy / Big Girl work environment – If you do your job then you have no problems*

Advice to Management

A larger training library - books RE: certification exams, ect.

"Enjoyed working there!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

good work environment. positive environment. fast paced environment where you get a great deal of technical experience. paid for my training.

Cons

at times clients can be very demanding but the working environment makes up for it. there really was not any downside that bothered me that much

Advice to Management

keep being open. I also would like for the management to keep giving more and more responsibilities to the staff. I personally enjoyed be assigned different work at times