Federal-Mogul Reviews | Glassdoor

Federal-Mogul Reviews

Updated September 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Competitive compensation and good work environment (in 21 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance - hours are reasonable and I rarely find myself having to stay late (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lot of work and no work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Shifting priorities due to upper management incompetence (in 14 reviews)

1. "IT"

I have been working at Federal-Mogul full-time

Pros

Coworkers are nice. Try to support each other in a bad working environment.

Cons

Zero work life balance. Very low morale. People are way over worked. Very high turnover. Can not trust senior management. Last fall senior mgmt decided to replace a manger using a secret job search to find a replacement before firing them. Person found out and gave a one day notice. Their replacement lasted 2 months and also gave a short notice. People leaving all the time with less than 2 week notice. 2 new recent hires didn't show up on their first day and quit before they started. This company jumps from issue to issue. Every day is a fire drill. Working on weekends and vacation time is expected. Medical benefits are awful. Morale is very low. People hate working here.

"20+ years lighting, and fabricated parts assembly, 18 years forklift and safety"

Former Employee - Shipping in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Shipping in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at Federal-Mogul full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, great work investment, great product. I've worked for Federal Mogul before loved the job, tried to go to a better job, very bad decision, started out as a supervisor, hit my marks and got demoted to lead forklift operator.

Cons

I would like to be able to return to a job in your company I don't feel my original supervisor ever got to know me she only heard from other coworker, would have liked to make my own impression, wasn't ever given a chance.

Advice to Management

Know your employees, listen to them they are building your product they have great ideas.

3. "Technician"

Former Employee - Test Technician in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Federal-Mogul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great job, they had relocated to another state. Management at the location was OK. Work environment was OK at the timeover time was plenty,it was consider salary while addition hours over 40 were considered as overtime.

Cons

Well working with brake products, you have to be think how your health might be affected in the future and take the proper precautions.

Advice to Management

Do a better job managing products portfolios .

4. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Plymouth, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Plymouth, MI

I worked at Federal-Mogul full-time

Pros

Company car, easy environment and well run HR.

Cons

Management not involved in growing people, feel very threatened and defensive.

5. "Industrial Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Nice place to learn and gain experience

Cons

Work load is bit heavy

6. "Yet Another Job Which Induced Comparisons to Slavery"

I worked at Federal-Mogul part-time

Pros

Steady work, with some shifts available even on Sundays. Relatively quick on-boarding process.

Cons

Basically, you have no rights. Zero work-life balance, reflected in above-mentioned Sunday shifts. Management's attitude toward employees is that of disposable labor. More than once, people were told as a group that if they didn't want such deplorable jobs, they should've stayed in school. This was indicative of management's lumping of all employees into one group, regardless of their specific backgrounds.

Additionally, there was even one instance where management threatened to call the police on workers if work wasn't performed satisfactorily. It could do this because the vast majority of its temp workers were apparently people who either had run afoul of the law, or some kind of refugee (many Iraqis, Nigerians, etc.)

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen, so this section really doesn't apply. There was one company meeting where it was revealed that not only a senior management member had quit, but had actually stolen a company idea and then proceeded to start his own company based on this idea. This makes sense as apparently management had treated each other as horrendously as they did the employees.

7. "F-M"

I have been working at Federal-Mogul full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is great about not micro-managing. They are somewhat hands off as long as you get your work done. Expenses are almost never an issue.

Cons

Along with what was mentioned above, the company will give you plenty of rope to hang yourself if you are not careful.

Advice to Management

The new owner is creating problems. He is not considering FM's current customers when he make decisions about new and future strategies.

8. "Great company"

Pros

Opportunities to learn lean manufacturing in a dynamic workplace

Cons

Opportunities to expand and move up within the organization

"No long term planning"

Pros

can't think of one yet

Cons

plant i work at has been working 6 to 7 days a week for years. There appears to be no long range plan to fix this. No short term and definitely no long term plan to address production capacity. even if we ran 100% with 100% good output, we still wouldn't make weekly shipments. I guess the overtime is part of the business plan. And they wonder why turnover is so high and quality so low - tired, worn out workers, equipment that only gets attention when it breaks, high turnover so low experience on most of the machines in my department. And so they worry about scrap on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Get a clue about the long term impact of worn out employees who have no family life. You go home on weekends, but the workers don't

10. "Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Value Stream Manager in Van Wert, OH
    Current Employee - Value Stream Manager in Van Wert, OH

I have been working at Federal-Mogul full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work, and the employees are all willing to do their jobs without question.

Cons

There is no work life balance. Playing favorites is a game that is practiced. Its not what you know it's who you know.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that have been doing the job, they are the ones in the pit, or on the line. Your way isn't always the best, especially if you sit at a desk all day.