Federal Railroad Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

Joseph C. Szabo

"good job"

Current Employee - OP Inspector in Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - OP Inspector in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Federal Railroad Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good quality of life, goof pay. it is government work and is a goof feeling to help with the public safety.

Cons

none that i can think of. it is government work so can be fun but some times long hours investigating

Advice to Management

none

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

- Small agency, which means a lot of opportunity to find work that makes a difference
    - Higher non-supervisory, non-competitive promotion potential than many other agencies (11/12 goes to 13/14)
    - Nice location near metro, decent gym
    - Hard-working, knowledgeable group of people

Cons

- Not many, other than the regular government bureaucracy, inefficiency etc that is not unique to FRA

"Not a bad place to stay for a brief time"

Former Employee - Safety Inspector - Track in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Safety Inspector - Track in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Federal Railroad Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job is stable. You can earn bank time, and use that for time off. FRA jobs are government jobs, so you don't have to work more than 8 hours if you don't want to.

Cons

Very little room for advancement. Very few bonuses. Job advancements don't come with a moving package except for high level jobs. Its government, therefore you can only do so much.

Advice to Management

Look at the industry, pay attention to what the private companies are doing to bring on talent.

5. "Great Management"

Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Great working environment and with flexible work schedule.

Cons

Small Agency - Little upward mobility for non-inspector positions in the Region.

6. "Program Analyst"

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Federal Railroad Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great division and great supervisor, no micromanaging, no intense obsession with time. Appreciation for work well done, support for career objectives. Standard Federal benefits.

Cons

A great deal of politics. Immediate managers are good but higher ups are the worst. Getting opportunities depends heavily on who you know and who you kiss up to. Unqualified people are in all kinds of positions because of who they know and people sleep at their desks with no consequences.

Advice to Management

Reward those who are doing a good job and not your friends. Retain top talent not people who are seeking a place to squat.

"Paranoid management led by political appointees who cuts out the professional staff...except when they need them."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Federal Railroad Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For some positions, there are teleworking and flex hours opportunities, but rare for senior staff (the political appointees want you to hang around according to their hours and beyond).

Cons

Political appointees rule the roost, regardless if they are experienced or not, or if they want good advice. There are enough sycophants among the professional staff that the politicals feel entitled to demand whatever they want. So much time is wasted prepping them for meetings and churning out documents no one reads that the American people are getting ripped off.

They also have spys who watch to see when you punch the clock. It doesn't matter how late you work, or how many weekends or from home, these spys want to see you at work at your specified time. Most us in the FRA are mature employees with a degrees and beyond. Why is the government allocating resources to see when we arrive to work? The quality of the work is what's most important, not when we arrived to work.

Advice to Management

Do some of your own homework. Learn the subject so you can talk about it without hours of coaching. And if it takes hours, something is wrong. So many good people have left or transferred in to the safety office because their job devolved into nothing more than cranking out briefers for every meeting and speech senior management would have. This happened as the intellectual quality of senior management went downhill in this Administration, and they increasing have became dependent on extensive briefings.

Trust your professional staff. No one has a problem with the Administration setting policy, but let us do our job. We don't need to be micromanaged because we have been doing this our entire professional lives.

Keep your job in perspective. Railroads are not the crisis in the Middle East. Yes, when there is a big accident you have to mobilize fast and get head of the problem, but there is a well qualified staff to do that. Trust them. We don't have to suck up countless hours on minor problems that don't exist, or at least to little papers in Montana of Maine.

Reallocate more resources for more safety inspectors. Stop dumping more people into the passenger rail division. Be real, it wont get funded. We need more bridge inspectors, track inspectors, hazmat inspectors, etc. We're becoming a joke because we let the industry police themselves.