Federal Realty Investment Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Don Wood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "General Manager"

I worked at Federal Realty Investment Trust full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. FRIT has a great handle on the retail run and completely understands the pros and cons of retail. The FRIT motto is "Team Work" and everyone is always there to support you.

Cons

The only con I could say is that more companies should model their success after the FRIT model.

Advice to Management

The only advice I could suggest is that there should be more follow up on the onboarding process with new employee's.

2. "Lots of egos"

I worked at Federal Realty Investment Trust full-time

Pros

Pay is good or better then other local RE companies.

Cons

Revolving door, people come and go, management won't slow down a little to see/fix the problem. Good people are chased away, lots of bad ones are allowed to linger. I interviewed with a total of 7 people, all were gone in less then 1 year

Advice to Management

Talk to your people, the amount of wasted money was beyond my imagination, nobody wanted to listen. If COO wants to show money to investors like he mentions in every meeting, more would be better, the waste is so crazy when if departments would talk to each other (and listen) the profits would be even better!

3. "Outstanding Leaders"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Federal Realty Investment Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Federal hasn't gained its reputation for no reason. It is a company that challenges the status quo, makes sound decisions with the long-term vision always in mind and excellence can be seen in everything we do. I attribute all this to upper management; we are truly surrounded by industry superstars that you can learn a lot from. You just have to make it a point to do this. Also, the sense of pride in belonging to FRIT is a huge plus.

Cons

Although it is admirable that we are technically small in size for all we do, that has its downsides. In my opinion, systems and technology are in desperate need for improvement (investing in efficiency will pay off in the long run), middle management needs to be carefully chosen (ability to manage needs to be looked at vs. years of service) and we must invest in more personnel (most departments seem to be spread too thin which makes it difficult for talented employees to think outside the box, shine and grow)

Advice to Management

Pause for a second (I know it's hard when you are busy doing your own work) and learn how to lead people. Focus on accomplishing more THROUGH your people. Mentor your team.

4. "An already excellent company, continuously striving to be better."

Pros

What initially drew me to FRIT were its local properties, which change, grow and change again. It seemed that improvement was a priority, and after working here, I still believe that is so. This is a place people come and often stay. It is the least gossipy atmosphere I have ever worked in; friendly and real. FRIT mgmt. tries to listen, promote from within and to assist those who show interest in advancing.

Cons

Probably the biggest "con" is also a big "pro" - longevity. Some people who've been here for years are eager and willing to change as needed, others forget to listen to those who have outside experience. Newer employees may be leery of consequences of rocking the boat.

Advice to Management

Make sure to reach out to both those experienced with the company's way at all levels, and newer employees who often have had the opportunity to approach things differently. Don't waste that resource.

5. "Great Place to Work!!"

I have been working at Federal Realty Investment Trust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Simply put...Its just a great place to work! The people who work here make it that way. You will see that many people choose to work here for a long time because of how much they like it. Salaries are competitive, we get yearly bonuses, we have great benefits, a lot of perks, its a company that promotes core values, teambuilding, volunteering, health/fitness and is highly respected in the industry.

Cons

Can't say that I have any.

6. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Federal Realty Investment Trust full-time

Pros

Wonderful place to work and great people to work with. They really seem to care about their employees and making the company better as a whole each day. The pay is solid and the benefits are super. Bagel Wednesdays help break up with week and refreshments are always stocked.

Cons

Nothing really negative to say. Just be prepared to keep busy and work hard.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing. The future looks bright and the company seems well positioned in an ever changing industry.

"Solid company. Lacks management skills."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Federal Realty Investment Trust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very well established and structured company.

Cons

Promoted managers have very little/no "management training".

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees. Be a firm supporter/stand up for employees that deserve it and work hard for the company.

8. "Positive experience"

I worked at Federal Realty Investment Trust full-time

Pros

- competitive salary
    - amicable co-workers

Cons

- end of quarter is hectic
    - not a lot of room for advancement

9. "Construction Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Pros

Stable Growth and Corporate Strategies that command significant market share and development.

Cons

High turnover rate of employees

Advice to Management

Mentor employees to achieve greater participation and stabilize longevity.

"Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Federal Realty Investment Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well located offices (two separate employee buildings) 1 mile apart with bus to and from and Metro nearby. Friendly coworkers. Several properties are nice.

Cons

Frequent rivalries across departments are distracting me from my work. Cube farm culture. My Manager is not really trained and has a tendency to discourage independent thinking on a regular basis. A lot of staff turnover regularly. There are deeply seeded management habits that have persisted over many years that easily could be improved.

Advice to Management

There are better ways and YOU are responsible for finding them.