Federal Reserve Bank of Boston Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston President and CEO Eric S. Rosengren
Eric S. Rosengren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life Balance is also great (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits; great people working for economic stability and positive impact in New England (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • great deal of travel and relatively flat organization mean that there are somewhat limited opportunities to advance into new positions (in 2 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Internship in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Internship in Boston, MA

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Boston full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people and amazing work life. I worked in the research department for a senior economist ( policy advisor)-he and his research assistant turned out to be my best mentors. They are all very friendly, super smart and yet very humble and funny. It's definitely the best place for students looking to get a graduate degree in economics: a lot of people in their reviews complained about the environment being too "academic "... well that's the whole purpose of working for an economist / in the research department right?? Definitely recommend to anyone who really wants to be exposed to hands-on macroeconomics and policy research-- very unique and sure as hell makes you stand out when you apply anywhere else(exit opportunities are fantastic in the field of economics). Fair warning: you may get too attached emotionally to the work and people here ... happened to me as an intern and thus I was heartbroken to not have an offer for the full time RA position because of my citizenship status (trust me my economist wanted me and was disappointed to know he couldn't hire me either). Overall wonderful wonderful place. My review may be biased because it was my dream to work at the Boston fed, and I surely got to live it, but it's also true that the experience as an intern would forever be my best memory. So much so, that I will take all the memories I have had here with me to my grave. ❤️

Cons

None. I kid you not. None. I really can't think of anything bad since they treated me so kindly: they did more for me in terms of enriching me "human capital" haha.

Advice to Management

Maybe know well about the citizenship requirements better ...but I thank HR and the administrative manager for doing so much to make sure I got the internship ❤️

2. "Hit or miss"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Boston full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Build a close relationship with an established economist, get hands on experience with research and policy. Great place to build resume for applying to PhDs, or decide if a PhD is right for you. Good work/life balance (experience may vary). On-site gym.

Cons

Experience is very dependent upon how well you mesh with your economist. No internal mobility.

3. "Amazing institution doing amazing work"

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Boston full-time

Pros

Great benefits; great people working for economic stability and positive impact in New England.

Cons

Conservative and highly bureaucratic in structure

Advice to Management

Continue to move diversity and inclusive priorities from conversation to practice

4. "Intern"

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Boston part-time

Pros

Good management and great culture

Cons

Tough mobility yet decent atmossphere

Advice to Management

Promote faster

5. "mid level manager"

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Boston full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

commitment to public service; in my department true commitment to work-life balance, pay & benefits are very good

Cons

the cons that come with a large bureaucracy; micromanagement; difficult to effect change;

"HR is not there to help you"

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Boston full-time

Pros

Top management is great. Everyone is very polite and friendly.

Cons

I was being treated unfairly by my immediate supervisor and it was being ignored by the department manager. I spoke to HR who told me there was nothing they could do and I was let go within a month due to corporate restructuring.

7. "specialist"

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Boston full-time

Pros

flexibility in work schedules, 4 day weeks

Cons

administrative red tape, management, pay

8. "management"

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Boston full-time

Pros

Collaborative culture and mission driven work

Cons

Slow decision making and too much consensus

Advice to Management

empower

"A pleasant place to work"

Current Employee - Treasury Operations Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Treasury Operations Supervisor in Boston, MA

Pros

Friendly culture and great work environment. They practice what they preach when it comes to diversity and being a good corporate citizen.

Cons

Limited opportunities due to federal cost cutting. Mixed culture of employees who have been at the bank for decades and employees who have been there five years or less. Older employees are sometimes slow to make / adopt changes.

Advice to Management

Modernize the operation. Provide incentives for some of your established workers to retire to bring in fresh ideas with a newer workforce that has had exposure to current workplace practices.

"Good place but needs improvement"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Boston full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. 401k and pension as well as company match. Work at home allowed in some departments and when bad weather happens. Free gym onsite and discounted food in cafe

Cons

Lack of opportunities to move to other departments. The only way you will get to another department is if you know someone. Even then getting hr to respond or help is slim To none. Emails and phone calls to recruiters go unanswered or you get an "I'll get back To you" and never do.other HR areas are ok but need improvement

Advice to Management

HR managers should focus on keeping current employees that are good and looking to move within the fed. The vibe that is being given off now is that HR has no interest in helping employees.