Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Esther L. George

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They promote education and work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• They offer competitive pay and good benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Functions almost like government, lots of red tape (in 3 reviews)

• Middle and upper middle management have no clue what they are doing (in 2 reviews)

1. "Research Associate"

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time

Pros

Fantastic experience with some truly genius individual within the research group.

Cons

The environment might not be incredibly exciting for younger individuals at all times.

2. "Dead End"

Pros

Benefits are great. Coworkers are fun and supportive of each other. I enjoy the work because of who I work with.

Cons

Management is terrible unless you are one of them. Downright hostile at times. Too much red tape. Creativity was discouraged.

Advice to Management

Train your middle management.

3. "Good place for job security"

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good benefits, training opportunities, career growth and development, awesome people to work with, good work-life balance if you are not in management . Pay is good if you are in a professional position and bonuses are given out for good performance.

Cons

Lots of management changes, reluctancy to change, no casual Friday, it seems like a lot of people complain about their jobs just to complain, they very rarely terminate employees even if they are not performing, so top performers typically end up taking the slack and working extra and not being rewarded for that.

Advice to Management

Confront people earlier if they are not performing so you don't loose your top performers because they're picking up the slack, loosen up on the rules something such as casual Friday would boost morale so much!

4. "Law Enforcement"

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No out of pocket costs for uniforms, firearms, or dry cleaning. Pay for the job is more than adequate. Decent working environment.

Cons

Middle and upper middle management have no clue what they are doing. One specific micro-manager is horrible to work with. Very controlling and lacks people skills. Most other supervisors in other departments are held back from doing their jobs. Lazy co-workers that kiss up to management will succeed faster than those that actually do their jobs.

Advice to Management

There is a choke point in your management team and it is close to the top levels. They are preventing supervisors from being supervisors and officers from doing their job. There are good supervisors but they are being held back from their jobs. Real change has to start at the top and that isn't happening.

5. "Review"

Current Employee - Economist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Economist in Kansas City, MO

Pros

very friendly and fair atmosphere

Cons

I have no complaints to add

6. "Change Manager"

Current Employee - Change Manager and Implementation Remedy Ad Minf for CHecks and ACH in Kansas City, MO

Pros

It is always busy and they have good pay and benefits

Cons

MANY projects going at once. some stress

Advice to Management

more work from home time

7. "Good place to work"

Pros

Excellent training and substaintal benefits

Cons

Long hours and little room to advancement

Advice to Management

Provide more upward mobility

"Technology Manager"

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great career growth and opportunity

Cons

Growing very quickly and sometimes work overload

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employee growth and development as a top priority

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional environment, unbelievable benefits (who even has a pension plan anymore?? + 401k, full paid health insurance upon retirement, etc.), clear expectations, good vacation policy, off on bank holidays.

Cons

Professional dress - men must wear button down shirts (no polo style), slacks and dress shoes. NO Jeans.

Advice to Management

Need more resources to get projects completed. Stressful in what is expected.

"What I've always been searching for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

The people
    The culture
    The benefits
    The training

I've worked at many types of places and industries and can say I've seen a lot. Therefore I am definitely able to recognize a great place to work when I see one! I have met some absolutely top notch talented associates here and the Bank does a great job at retaining those folks with providing first class benefits and endless opportunities to either grow as a leader, or get involved with numerous team-building events. This really does help foster a great atmosphere and makes me really care about this place more than just any old job. To those who have criticism towards the Fed I'd say they're probably not taking full advantage of all that's available. Most places I've been haven't even provided 1 activity to celebrate the holidays, but here it's become a great month to enjoy friends, family, and coworkers. I rarely see drama, they have a ton of great on site amenities, I work with and awesome team and also have a fabulous Manager. I feel very lucky to be here and I'm not willing to stress over minor things like not wearing jeans to work. I hope I can stay and retire from this place!

Cons

No jeans.
    Need more conference rooms with TV monitors for meetings.

That's it. I've got no further cons to fill up this space for my review.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!