Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Neel Kashkari

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Mpls FRB is an employee-centric, innovative and exciting organization with diverse opportunities for development. Employees regularly determine the Bank is where they want to spend the rest of their careers. There is a good work/life balance and in the main, leadership is accessible, committed and respectful. Having worked for at least 15 different employers in the past, I can honestly say this is one of the two best jobs that I have held in my career.

Cons

The organization is hierarchical with policies on everything.

Advice to Management

Empower your people.

2. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Independence, for a while, at least

Cons

Independence no longer, but due to different job

Advice to Management

Get out of the way

3. "FRB Mpls"

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers are great. Benefits are definitely competitive and better than most companies. Safe environment, clean beautiful building on the river.

Cons

Too much management and due to that nothing seems to get done. Takes too long to have all these people approve anything so things move very slowly, which puts us behind. HR department is not the greatest. They never get back with you on internal postings and that is aggravating.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some middle management roles.

4. "The place where you will learn nothing"

Former Employee - N/A in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - N/A in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, dont work environment, hardly get engaging work for more than 4 hours

Cons

culture, back stabbing environment, you can never learn anything, management is incompetent (most of the leadership & management are terrible in IT); they waste public funds

Advice to Management

change your culture; in a competitive environment this organization will go bankrupt in a couple of years

"Abusive!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have always respected the Federal Reserve Bank and its role in the national economy. The bank has excellent benefits and, if you're in the right department, good working conditions. Also, a great cafeteria, building, and view. I respected Senior Management - but the cons are all under middle management that seem more like a bunch of scrapping hyenas.

Cons

It all depends on the department you work in. There is a consensus among many employees that they tend to promote bullies. I was told by a manager that they promote people who get things done. However, it takes more than that to manage people. It takes consistency and personal accountability. There was none of that in the leadership of my group. They were abusive. To the entire team. AND, HR did nothing about numerous complaints.

Advice to Management

Invest in some effective training in management techniques and processes. HR should focus on holding management accountable rather than just letting "tenured" employees rise and get by with bullying and lack of accountability. People should be able to get action from HR and not really need Ombudsmen. Note below to Glassdoor: Narayana is no longer the CEO.

6. "Great Environment"

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back performance oriented environment.

Cons

They're a bit stuck in their old ways of doing things.

Advice to Management

Mix things up and go outside of tradition.

7. "Important Mission, Smart People"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Stable, historic company and brand
    Highly ethical compliance culture
    Fantastic benefits
    Great people and work environment
    Beautiful building in a great location

Cons

Complicated, decentralized governance structure takes time to learn
    Older (but experienced) employee population
    Analytical, low empathy culture might annoy some

Advice to Management

Don't overreact to short term political trends and keep advocating for the communities in the district.

8. "FRB-MPLS"

Current Employee - Intern in Coon Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Intern in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the work environment here, everyone is willing to talk to you and help you figure out what you are confused about. The work is not very challenging, there is a lot of room to bring in new and innovative things learned from school.

Cons

Slow pace work, lots of security in systems used, building access.

9. "Good people"

Current Employee - Lead in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Lead in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

A federal reserve bank is quasi government, but I've found the people I work with to be full of integrity for their job and the effect the bank has on the public. Honest, (mostly) hard working. The people care for each other, and I've found a very supportive atmosphere.

Cons

It's still a large company, subject to the failings of cost savings, segregated duties, and very bloated and removed management. Immediate on site supervisors, managers and directors get it. Off site VPs, other executives are making decisions not based on what makes quality product, but on meeting an arbitrary (and sometimes experimental) deadline.

Advice to Management

Let the local people make the big decisions. All will fall into place.

10. "Research Analyst"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Wonderful part time for PhD students in economics especially in macroeconomics to see how theory and quantitative methods are utilized to help shape policy decisions and understand regional/macro economic issues. Flexible work schedule. Supportive management.

Cons

no downside to work there when you are in a graduate program, or you plan to apply for graduate school after gaining some hands-on data analysis experiences.