Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
James Bullard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The upper management team has its favorites and listens and promotes them despites the poor leadership skills (in 3 reviews)

• Managers are concerned with making themselves look good rather then being leaders (in 2 reviews)

1. "Embracing a Changing Work Culture and Population"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The bank places a huge emphasis on engagement and finding ways to keep employees on the team long term. The benefits, development opportunities, and challenging social and work assignments are all there for the employees that pursue them.

Cons

The bank is working through a shift in leadership and preparing for some generational turnover, similar to many companies these days. This can make organizational culture somewhat tricky to navigate at times. The bank is somewhere between a government agency and non-profit which means there is a desire by leadership to align with government agency responses and risk avoidance.

Advice to Management

Stay the course with challenging the status quo and trying to steer a new culture across the organization. Push current management to offer jobs that will appeal to non-traditional employees across multiple generations. Continue to build leadership skills through increasing accountability.

2. "Great benefits & work-life balance but oppressive culture. Big Brother's watching."

Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to keep to a 40-hour work week.
    Benefits are unbeatable.
    Cafeteria has a decent number of (healthy!) options and is very affordable to employees.
    Facilities, law enforcement, cafeteria staff are all generally very friendly people.

Cons

Culture is oppressive in many groups. Be prepared to be reprimanded by multiple levels of management for expressing any individuality.
    Mostly incompetent middle management and in some cases upper management.
    The people who tend to get promoted are all management, and it happens so quickly and frequently it's really hard to ignore.
    The group I was in was toxic, due to a combination of the people being hired, the people doing the hiring, and the way "leadership" treated its people.
    Projects move at a colossal pace for several months until someone in charge arbitrarily decides they need a final deliverable by EOD.
    Salary was on the low side for the skills it was hiring for, but the job security and benefits make up for that.
    Perhaps as a result of the above, you are not working with the best people in the field.
    From what I could tell, contractors basically got treated as subhuman by the organization.
    If you are unfortunate enough to get parking in Mansion House, be prepared to deal with your car getting broken into,.

Advice to Management

Those of you who actually care about your employees and contractors, keep at it. I know there is some decent leadership in the Fed somewhere.

Those of you who are not qualified for the position you're in, don't fake like you know what you're doing by continuing to make harmful decisions and shoot down your competent workers who are trying their hardest to keep you from ruining the future of the group.

3. "In between private sector and government"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation is reasonably competitive. Benefits near to Federal Government standards. Bank Holidays.

Cons

Sympathetic to federal employment woes (think hiring freeze, budget short-falls). Conservative controls, some public perceptions.

Advice to Management

Heavy management structure might lead to micro-management tendencies.

4. "I love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at the Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis for over a year and it has been a great experience! I truly enjoy coming to work every day, my job is not easy but my peers and managers make my job very enjoyable. I feel that the bank gives you the tools for you to further develop your skills and acquire new ones. My managers understand that I have a life outside the bank, here I don’t feel that Work-Life balance is just a slogan but it is something that the bank embraces and strives for. The benefits are great! I have never worked in a place that offers a pension plan and a 401K among other great benefits! The people are great and always willing to lend a hand.
    I feel a lot of pride working for the Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis!

Cons

I know this is not the Banks fault, the parking situation at Mansion house is something that seems to be a sore subject for some people.

Advice to Management

Whatever you are doing, keep it up!

5. "Not a job but a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The bank's employee-resources and support are very technologically advanced which is great because it allows performing various tasks and having the ability to use new tools to perform work.
    The Bank cultivates professional and personal development. Aside from the the great benefits and focus on work-life balance, the bank takes an active role in growing employees with internal professional courses as well as fully supports external training in addition to working with employees individually to be more self-aware.
    The culture is made of of individuals with diverse backgrounds but is inclusive of those differences to remain cutting edge and innovative.

Cons

Not much information shared with public, which can give people outside of the bank the wrong idea about who the Bank is and what the Bank stands for

Advice to Management

Keep working with employees at all levels to stay current and up-to-date with employees needs at all levels.

6. "A fantastic organization with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Emphasis on professional and personal development. A lot of groups to get involved with to expand your leadership skills. Management listens to the employees. Organization really believes in diversity and inclusion.

Cons

I Iive out west so sometimes the commute can be a killer but my manager allows me to work flex hours so it's not that bad.

7. "You don't own me"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fair comparison to other similar government jobs.

Cons

Much worse than other similar government jobs.

Advice to Management

Retire. Nearly all managers and officers are in their post-retirement years.

"Police Officer"

Former Employee - Police Officer/Investigator/Police Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis (More than a year)

Pros

The Fwderal Reserve has excellent health benefits

Cons

The law enforcement unit has the potential to be an excellent agency with a little more vision and the hiring of people with deeper backgrounds in law enforcement

Advice to Management

I would suggest hiring people with deeper backgrounds in law enforcement.

9. "Prog Analyst/Specialist"

Current Employee - Analyst/Prog Specialist in Ballwin, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst/Prog Specialist in Ballwin, MO

I have been working at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great organization with excellent benefits

Cons

Meetings, meetings and ... meetings. Welcome to the (quasi-) government.

10. "Sr. Java Web Developer"

Former Employee - Lead Architect/Director in O'Fallon, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Architect/Director in O'Fallon, IL

I worked at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits and awesome retirement plan with work from home 1 day weekly. We also had an incredible amount of vacations...I had 5 weeks and 2 days.

Cons

Kind of clickish at times.

Advice to Management

Good job