Federal Reserve Board Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Janet L. Yellen

Pros
  • Work-life balance is great, everyone goes home after 8 hours unless there is an urgent problem present (in 22 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule along with great benefits (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • In terms of IT you may not get as valuable experience here as you might in the private sector (in 8 reviews)

• Slow work environment, frustrating red tape, limited opportunities for non-PhD economists (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great work environment"

Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Federal Reserve Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good salary and benefits, good hours

Cons

Hard for me to think of any major cons. At times my work (as a research assistant) would seem fairly repetitive, and at times I wasn't sure whether my work was making a difference in the bigger picture. But I had some good experiences with interesting and meaningful projects as well.

Advice to Management

Where possible, try to make the work structure a little less rigid.

2. "Office of Chief Data Officer"

I worked at Federal Reserve Board full-time

Pros

Good benefits, pay, flexible schedule. Work with highly intelligent people.

Cons

The OCDO had a toxic environment. Upper management claimed to be open and transparent but were anything but.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk.

3. "Intern Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Federal Reserve Board (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned in DC, where they have a huge intern program with students from all over the country. Interns from California, Washington state, and plenty of people from the East coast all work together, so it's easy to make friends and hang out after work in the city. We went to a lot of Nats games and the students who were 21+ went out for happy hour every Thursday. Pay is pretty high for an internship, and they put on plenty of programs for the interns (receptions, meet-and-greets with Chair Yellen, networking events, tours, etc) so it's not just cranking out work at a desk all day. Some days I would not even turn on my computer and just go to the intern event all day, and still get paid for it. It was so much fun, and the work is challenging but fulfilling. Work-life balance is great, everyone goes home after 8 hours unless there is an urgent problem present.

Cons

There are people there that have stayed with the Board for 30+ years, and sometimes the work is slow (as is anything with the government, amirite?). Some days the work would be slow, then a problem would surface and the work would go into hyperspeed mode. There is a lot of variation in terms of work between weeks, but there is always something to do if you're an intern!

5. "review"

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board full-time

Pros

good environment and good compensation

Cons

not applicable, maybe location and parking

6. "Federal Reserve Economic Research Intern"

Pros

Great pay, atmosphere. Overall, an incredible opportunity

Cons

no cons to speak of

7. "Fantastic learning experience"

Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Federal Reserve Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Tons of learning on-the-job, particularly with statistical programming (only had undergraduate experience with Stata before my time at the Fed). Most RAs go on to PhD programs after their time at the Fed, but my experience made me realize a PhD was not right for me. This was as valuable to me as entrance to a top 10 program would have been.
    - True 9 to 5 if you want it to be.

Cons

- Learning is limited--you will probably get everything you can out of this job within 2 years. The job is not built for growth though (you're supposed to leave within 2-3 years), so it makes sense.
    - As with any job, Economists are hit or miss. Try to find one who will mentor you.

8. "Great place to work and start/build a career"

Current Employee - Senior Supervisory Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Supervisory Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, intelligent yet amiable people, and lots of learning opportunities

Cons

Can be siloed at times

9. "Human Resources Leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues, challenging and rewarding work, meaningful mission, flexible work schedules, telework, benefits, pay, pleasant work environment. I really love my boss and my coworkers!

Cons

Can take awhile to get things done since we are quasi-governmental. The commute on days I don't telework can be difficult, especially with metro issues.

10. "Excellent experience"

I worked at Federal Reserve Board full-time

Pros

It was a perfect first job out of college. I got to use my education and interest in math, econ and politics everyday working on projects that influenced policy decisions. The benefits were very generous including many paid-time off days, separate paid-sick leave and around $5,000 academic assistance every year if you want to take more classes at nearby colleges.

Cons

Everyone will try to get you to apply to a PhD program. Other than that it was a great experience!

Advice to Management

The economists I worked directly under and everyone else that I worked with were very smart, friendly and a pleasure to be around.

11. "Great first job out of college"

Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The FRB provides a well-structured, valuable Research Assistant program, particularly suited for those fresh out of undergraduate studies. The Board is conscious of employees' time and focused on aiding with their personal and professional growth. I would highly recommend this position for anyone interested in pursuing economic research or a related field.

Cons

Naturally hierarchical with RAs working directly with PhD economists, which can make it difficult for RAs to take on leadership roles in policy work or research projects.