Federal Way Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Staff"

Current Employee - Office Staff in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Federal Way Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours are great, Benefits and retirement are good. Flexibility is good. You have chances to make extra money and volunteer for great causes.

Cons

Not to many cons. Typical work stuff. Students can be a little difficult at times. Other than that great job.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff input more often.

2. "Fair is not always equal, but Equality is always just"

Current Employee - School Psychologist in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - School Psychologist in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Federal Way Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The colleague are very supportive and team oriented.

Cons

The system is top heavy that enforces policy without procedure. There is not a good strategies ffor the implementation of change in the organization. The leadership is transactional rather than transformational.

Advice to Management

Incorporate some consistent leadership and bias training.

3. "School lunch lady, on call"

Former Employee - Nutrition - Part Time - On Call in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Nutrition - Part Time - On Call in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Federal Way Public Schools part-time

Pros

The kids everyone loves lunch time!, meeting new people, fast paced work, going to different schools allows you to pick which ones you would be interested in working at in a regular position. Union position.

Cons

Some schools that staff were really unwelcoming, I just chose not to go back to those ones. You get treated like a cog in the wheel by the district. You will never make enough money to live on, its very part time.

5. "Custodial, good on paper...meh in practice"

Current Employee - Custodian in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Custodian in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Federal Way Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary. Great benefits. Consistent schedule. Weekends off. Working nights can be pretty great overall. You have a schedule and you just kind of go.

Cons

The environment can be pretty toxic at times. There is a small crew of custodians at each school and it can sometimes feel very us vs them (teachers, admin, etc). Most people stereotype your personality and mental capacity also and the department is rarely taken into consideration during decisions or taken seriously when trying to enforce a safety procedure or other policy we are responsible for. This is also the most mind numbing and at the same time physically draining job i have ever done.

Advice to Management

There are courses available to us for hvac, electrical etc for free through our union but no way to move into maintenance positions. There are no apprentice positions and everything they post require 5 years experience. Other districts' custodians have no courses available but have apprentice positions in maintenance department that allow them to enter. Take advantage of the free training we can receive and make it possible for custodians to move into entry lvl maintenance positions.

"Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Federal Way Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The school district is supportive of all students learning. We have a good sense of community within and between schools.

Cons

Decisions are top down (even when they are supposedly by consensus), and often do not make sense for learning and achievement, and add huge requirements to teacher workload. District office personnel seems far removed from realities of the classroom. Teachers have given up fighting the top-down decisions, because it never helps, and makes them look bad.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teachers. Really listen. It may take some time to build trust before they will trust you enough to say what they think. Look at your test scores. Stop patting yourselves on the back when we count the number of students who meet the minimum standard. Minimum cut scores are meant for everyone to meet. Look at what we've done to our top students. How do our top AP scores compare with others. Bring back Ds. Our Cs have become so watered down, that they are meaningless, because we can't give Ds. Do you think that means that kids are learning more? No! the bottom half of the C range is really a D.

7. "Great School District"

Former Employee - Para Educator in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Para Educator in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Federal Way Public Schools (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing leaders. Great teachers.

Cons

Public school regulations. It turns any business, work environment into a place of job security always at the forefront. It's not the districts fault it is how public schools have evolved into.

Advice to Management

Great job.

8. "fwps"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Federal Way Public Schools (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vary fulfilling work and great benefits.

Cons

Educators deserve better pay in my opinion.

"Speech Language Pathologist"

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Federal Way Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very knowledgeable and supportive speech language pathology team. Wonderful and easy to work with department head.

Cons

Your experience depends a lot on the specific school you work for and the principal, policies and culture at that school. SLPs who worked at a school with a supportive principal and happy teachers had a better experience.

"The Federal Way"

Former Employee - Teacher in Federal Way, WA

Pros

Progressive in trying new education tools and ideas, personal days was a great benefit, health insurance was great, opportunities to move up, fund/diverse community

Cons

Leaders are not supportive of employees, culture is inconsistent and overwhelming. Do too many things at once and don't stick things through, making work frustrating.

11. "This year long position is a good opportunity for professional growth but does have some drawbacks."

Former Employee - Academic Tutor in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Academic Tutor in Federal Way, WA

Pros

Federal Way Public Schools-AmeriCorps provides the opportunity to gain experience in the education field and work closely with students. Tutors assigned to elementary schools work alone while middle school and high school tutors work as part of a 4 or 6 person team. The program tends to hire people with various backgrounds and coming from different parts of the country. Tutors receive ample experience in working as part of a very diverse team. There are also mandatory trainings in relevant topics such as team building, cultural competency and student behavior management.

Cons

Supervisors has a tendency to have low expectations of their employees, occasionally assigning mundane and or unnecessary tasks. There is a decent amount of downtime at the school sites where no work is being done and the tutors' only assignment is to sit in the office and watch the clock. While there is some professional training, there could have been more instruction and continued support regarding how to tutor students.

Advice to Management

Management should look into providing additional training sessions to employees and seek to update technology currently used. Better incentives to stay for more than a single 1 year term may help ensure a steady amount of veterans who can provide guidance for newcomers.