Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Thomas Feeley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Review"

Pros

A lot of experience fast

Cons

Not really open to change

2. "Couldev been bettter"

I worked at Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. (More than a year)

Pros

There were a lot of overtime opportunities available.

Cons

Supervisor manager styles need improvement.

3. "Great"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly staff, good culture, lots of on-the-firm drinking

Cons

never enough work to do (during the summer)

Advice to Management

design a better internship program for summer

"Office Coordinatro"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. (Less than a year)

Pros

Small Firm, very knowledgeable professional workers.

Cons

I have nothing be good things to say about the firm.

"Great People/Firm Culture"

I worked at Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Feeley & Driscoll. The managing partner does a great job getting to know the staff and seems to really care about employees. Awesome leadership at the manager/supervisor level enhances the learning experience for the younger staff. The early morning hours at F&D foster productive and aggressively efficient engagements.

-No office politics
    -Great compensation (nowhere else in Boston pays as much for an audit/tax associate)
    -Quick promotions
    -Sports tickets consistently being raffled off

Cons

None that immediately come to mind. All staff are expected to work Saturdays during busy season, but that ultimately helps relieve the M-F burden.

Advice to Management

Figure out who wrote that silly, long Ray Lewis comparison glassdoor post. That grouchy individual clearly has too much time on his or her hands.

"Great coworkers!"

I worked at Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I miss working here. I left for more money at a local competitor, where I still work. Way less politics at Feeley & Driscoll. Managers were honest and the bars on portland st were fun after work. Id def work there again.

Cons

It can take a while to get promoted. I was there for a few years and received adequate pay raises and bonuses but my role never changed.

Jan-March is veeeeeery busy.

Advice to Management

Promote faster

"Interesting Place..."

I worked at Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. full-time

Pros

Read the review from December 8th... the is a very accurate depiction of the culture at F&D.

The other reviews definitely take things to an extreme but the overall themes explained in those reviews are true. It's certainly not just disgruntled ex-employees that didn't want to work hard.

You get to see the entire process of an audit from planning/interim, fieldwork, to finishing the financial statements. Also, there a few upper level staff that are very knowledgeable and talented so if you can get them to take you under their wing then you're all set. The hours are definitely not as bad as the Big 4, you won't be working till 9 or 10 pm during busy season (7:30 - 5:30ish).

The culture seems to have improved over the past year or so, a lot of people are trying to make it more enjoyable by planning events for staff.

Cons

In 2014 and 2015, at least 30 or 40 people left including partners and managers that had been there for almost 10 years. If you're a staff then this should definitely be seen as a huge warning sign!!

If you're not liked by specific individuals for whatever reason then they will make it a point to not give you work or put you on clients. Which leads to you never learning anything and falling behind in abilities and billable hours compared to those at your level that are part of the "in crowd". There are plenty people here that will easily throw you under the bus to make sure they look good with the partners ... which I guess could happen at any company. It is so competitive and everyone is out for themselves, there isn't much of a team mentality. It can be like high-school, there is a constant rumor mill ... make sure you're not in it because if you are, then everyone will know .. including partners!

If you plan to leave and want to work for a public company then there can be limited opportunities since F&D's clients are all private. Also, public companies experience much more complicated accounting related matters such as stock based comp, various equity structures, advanced revenue recognition, etc .... whereas most of F&D clients don't experience this. Or if they do, as a staff you're not exposed until the supervisor/manager level.

One last thing... the starting bonus staff get when they begin .. if you don't stay for 3 & 1/2 years (4 busy seasons) then you have to pay it back. I know of plenty of former employees that haven't finished paying back and are being hounded all the time for it! So a word to the wise, do NOT accept the money. You may think you're going to stay that long but you can never know for certain. Or you can be like some ex-employees that because get themselves fired so they don't have to pay it back...

Not all companies are like this ... if you're not happy go somewhere else and you'll wonder why you ever stayed so long

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on improving the culture, a lot of great employees have left and there is definitely a reason behind it.

"Just Don't."

I worked at Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. full-time

Pros

You'll learn a decent amount, and you'll be paid well.

Cons

First off, I'd like to state that I am not a disgruntled former employee, and will try to be as neutral as possible with my review. That being said, if I had known before accepting my offer from this firm what I know now, I would have passed 100%.

Despite the pay, I would truly say that it is not worth it. Having experience in public accounting, this place definitely has it beat in regards to cutthroat coworkers. If people above you see you as a threat, they will take you down. Everyone is constantly talking about one another, including the partners. The egos in this place are far greater than what I have seen in public, with far less justification...

I understand endulging in the corporate culture, but the culture I've experienced here is insane. If you walk in past 7, you'll be glared at like you just murdered someone. This firm is all about the face time. You could be terrible at your job, but if you get it at 7 and stay till 5:30-6, they love you. Although you do get out a little earlier than the big 4 firms, it's not by much. If you factor in the "business development meetings" and "industry meetings", you esentailly work the same as you would anywhere.

Although I did learn during my time here, I have learned ten fold more after leaving. Keep in mind this is a very small firm, with not much exposure to issues/matters that would be seen in public. I honestly must say that what I have learned the most from my experience at Feeley and Driscoll is what I don't want from an employer.

Despite the pay, this place is really not worth the aggravation. Most of the people who have left took pay cuts, and also have had to pay them back the $10,000 signing bonus...but not one person I know has regretted it, including myself. No salary can put a price on happiness, and this firm is the perfect example of that.

All in all, go with another offer you've received. Unless you're into self inflicted punishment...

Advice to Management

Be more concerned about the work product, and less about the face time...Make the firm a more professional environment, and less like high school.

"Fair Review - Don't say yes to the pretty ring."

I worked at Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of these reviews paint the company in a very negative light and come off biased. I think it's easy on these sites to just bash a company because you can hide behind anonymity at a place that you probably didn't enjoy at all, so I'll try to stay as unbiased as possible.

With that being said, working at F&D was like being in a relationship with Ray Rice. When you sign the commitment, you're offered a lot of money for your age and occupation ($10k bonus is pretty nice when you're 22), you were treated well while you were dating (internship), and things look bright in the future. However, after 6 months, you realize you're associated with one of the worst people in the city (eat more Tom, seriously, eat more) and you've been domestically abused without realizing it. Talk to any middle-market partner in Boston about Tom Feeley and they'll have a string of hilarious stories about how off the rails he is. Even ask some current partners and they'll tell you how crazy he is. But he is barely around and you only have to listen to him 2 times a year. Then, (just like Ray Rice), he'll get on social media after the public knows who he really is, and you'll just basically put your hands in front of your face to hide from embarrassment. He'll post some things that you know was definitely written by someone else, and claim he's very "aware of what's going on in today's world" - much like Ray claimed he is ready to be back in the NFL.

Feeley's seminars are like listening to Donald Trump. One time he successfully managed to insult the entire staff that went to Bryant by saying how much better the other schools were (a good portion of the staff came from Bryant). A coworker wrote down every ridiculous thing he said and passed it around.

The place boasts about giving responsibility early on, and it's definitely true. If you show you're competent, can pass the CPA relatively quickly, and handle the office politics, some people will take you under their wing and give you some great exposure. However, there is a reason for this. If you have goals of working for large corporations or being hired in anything else except middle-market construction/distribution companies, I would highly highly suggest staying away from this one. You aren't exposed to anything complex in terms of accounting policies or revenue recognition like you would see at the larger firms (albeit much later in your career there) as all of the companies are private and have simple organizational structures.

Middle management (in-charge through manager) is a mixed bag. You'll get some that are chill and great people, they genuinely take this job for what it is and don't get a power trip. They're the ones you want to get close with because they get it and will help you out. Then you have the incompetent. They're the ones who just tell you to do whatever we did last year, and can't come up with good reasoning behind it. They don't really know what they're doing and are over their head, so they just fake it and focus more on sucking up to the partners. You'll want to stay away from these people, unless you want some comic relief.

Most people complain about the hours, it's really not that bad as long as you have work to keep you occupied. You know what you signed up for when you studied accounting in college and started looking for jobs. This place does a better job than other CPA firms at getting you in early and getting you out at a decent hour (very rarely later than 6).

Cons

The thing that got to me about this company was the fakeness that's been touched upon in other posts. In that regard, those posts are 100% accurate. I still hear from some people at this firm who tell me about certain coworkers who still talk about me. I haven't been with the firm for quite some time, but it's a great depiction of what the culture is like. It's kinda like when you break up with aforementioned Ray Rice, and he goes around talking about you now that you're not around. It's a child-like thing to do and shows the insecurities/immature reality of the firm.

Advice to Management

Hold managers accountable for their work and stop making the workplace a popularity contest. Lose the business formal dress code, you're not making that big of an impact on the world.

Also - don't let your employees and partners learn of Blum-Shapiro, they'll take all your talent

"Staff Auditor"

Former Employee - Auditor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Auditor in Boston, MA

I worked at Feeley & Driscoll, P.C. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, fun staff & a lot of food / activities. Decent place to start career.

Cons

Not enough work to go around, stiff atmosphere from management.