Fellowes Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Fellowes

Pros
  • great people, company, close to home (in 5 reviews)

• Fellowes remains a family run business, and those family first values still show through in the structuring of the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work from home options are not warmly welcomed (in 3 reviews)

• Middle management is inflexible with work life balance (in 3 reviews)

"Management"

I worked at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good products, kind people, solid financial position, amazing industry respect

Cons

Slow, overly conservative, lack skill in areas that allow for growth, no turnover so people get complacent

Advice to Management

Hire top talent and be more open to change

"Did not seem very organized"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Itasca, IL

I worked at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary, good benefits, updated breakrooms, trying to improve office features

Cons

Poor work-life balance, HR favors management, Bad office politics, Disregard for critical budget needs, HR needs to be more involved rather than allowing departments to handle interpersonal problems, Direct manager favored specific individuals to the detriment of others, Lost too many good people due to bad management

Advice to Management

Remove people causing strife within teams, pay attention to what's going on

"Be Very Cautious When Considering a Role on the Mobile Accessories Team"

Former Employee - Channel Marketing Manager in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Channel Marketing Manager in Itasca, IL

I worked at Fellowes Brands (More than a year)

Pros

Generally, personnel on the Mobile Accessories Team were pleasant enough to work with; competitive salary, respectable benefits, centralized office location is great for suburban commuters.

Cons

The team is managed through an authoritative mindset that stifles new talent out of the gates. Team members are rarely empowered with decision-making and are highly micro-managed. When they do venture to make an independent decision, they are habitually overturned and discounted.

This, over very short time, leads to downtrodden, unconfident employees who are dependent on guidance and approval and end up with little more ability than to do precisely what they are instructed. This employee deterioration also attributes to the unavoidable erosion of any collaborative trust network that is essential to team– and incredibly high turnover.

During my one year of employment, I was the ninth person to leave the MA team. And, from what I learned during that time, 19 people proactively chose to leave the team within the last three years. That fact alone should speak volumes about what it’s really like to work on the MA team at Fellowes. We can’t all be disgruntled employees with poor performance and bad work ethic. We can’t all be written off as ineffective. We were all once hired because of what we hoped we could bring to the table – skills, talents, insights and unique experiences to be put to good use if given genuine opportunity.

Finally, I can’t even fathom what this turnover attributes to from a financial perspective with regard to training and re-training staff, crippling any forward momentum and team morale. I did often overhear teammate complaints about the turnover in MA marketing and the rude reality of surviving the learning curve of yet another new person getting up-to-speed because of the lack of process documentation and role longevity.

Advice to Management

In terms of advice to management, I’m not sure there’s any advice I can give beyond what many other reviewers have said here. Take employee feedback seriously, hold MA management accountable, insist on corporate integration, oversight and process change. Office chatter would indicate that both HR and upper management know about the many dysfunctions on the Mobile Accessories team and continually ignore it. I hope that’s not the case but perception is reality in the workplace.

5. "Great Company"

I worked at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

*Strong management team
    *Truly value its employees
    *Rewards employees for results/accomplishments
    *Great benefits
    *Truly invest in its employee
    *Leader in office products industry

Cons

Just like any great company that trust in its people to make tough business decisions, sometimes those decisions have negative impacts.

Advice to Management

Do whatever is necessary to stay true to the values that helped to make Fellowes a great company.

"Slow and steady."

I worked at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very stable. Good people to work with.

Cons

Very conservative. In a declining industry. Very little, if any, growth.

Advice to Management

Need to acquire to grow. Organic growth efforts aren't working.

"IT Turmoil hopefully done!"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many of the comments you have read about the FORMER CIO are true. Notice I use the term former. Four days after our networking guy posted his comments here, the CIO no longer worked for the company. It shows not just that management acted on the issue, but also management really tried to work with the CIO first. They may have waited too long to act, however it shows they will work with employees and that means any employee. It is a family run business and in my time there, they have done many things for the employees.

All of the middle IT management have been at the company for more than ten years. They were in place before the individual with the issues came on-board and currently survive his reign. The IT department is filled with long-term employees because over the long term, it has been a very good place to work. It is too bad we lost some good people, but that makes opportunities for those reading this review.

Cons

It is a family run business and in some ways they are a bit behind the times when it comes to some policies which are changing across corporate America (working remote, flex time, etc.).

Advice to Management

Consider one of those long-term, middle mangers in IT to fill the spot recently vacated. After all, the indications are that those middle managers are the ones who have kept IT going in very trying times. Also, especially in IT, it is expected that you work from home to fix issues, no matter when they occur. Consider a reasonable remote work policy, which can improve moral, save employees travel expenses, and make the several comments here about the situation a moot point.

8. "Good place to work, could be btter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

Pros

Good people, great benefits, fair salary

Cons

Needs more focus on current technology

"IT specialist"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Itasca, IL

I worked at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great people, company, close to home

Cons

no problem with anything here

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"IT Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is a good company but behind the times in a lot of ways. Moving towards updating technologies and getting more mainstream. The people are the reason to stay. You get to work with a lot of technologies and wear many hats. Benefits are ok

Cons

There will be more job openings soon so read this. Come work here if you wish to be mistreated, overworked and under appreciated within the IT department. Our IT leader is known for swearing in meetings, yelling at his employees and vendors, telling employees they are wrong and generally making the department stressed out. He lets us know on a regular basis that he designed many systems at previous companies still in use. It is either his way or his way. He talks about process and then is the first to break the process implemented. I was in a meeting where he belittled a coworker and HR had to get involved. Several people have now left in recent times without jobs in place as leaving was better than coming to this environment. I will soon be joining that group.

Advice to Management

HR and upper management in the organization appear to know of this behavior and it seems to be tolerated. The hope is that it isn't true. For me, it won't matter soon but for those that remain, it does.

"Values-oriented, Family-Owned Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Fellowes Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong focus on company's core values of integrity, teamwork, passion and initiative. Meaningful commitment to GIVE program that encourages employees to spend 16 hours of company time each year to support GIVE initiatives. Company really walks the talk.
    Private, family-owned company focused on generating long term value with heavy investment in strategic initiatives
    Nice mid-sized company is big enough to invest in significant projects while give people with initiative opportunities to gain experience. The company also has a heavy global sales footprint which enables employees to have diverse experiences.

Cons

As a family-owned company, it has a fairly conservative stance toward debt. This results in a heavy focus on organic growth which can take a long time, especially when penetrating new categories. Company could benefit from more strategic acquisitions. The company has instituted summer hours and a casual dress code and is continuing to move cautiously toward flexible work schedules.

Advice to Management

Continue to implement initiatives from work-place surveys and keep progressing the building remodel. The employees really appreciate the improvements that have been made and are eager especially for the next phase of the remodel.