Fenwick & West Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gordon K. Davidson

Pros
  • Fenwick is a unicorn in the law firm world (in 5 reviews)

• Fenwick is a very accommodating to different work schedules and offers great benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any law firm, due dates and time could change at the drop of the hat (in 9 reviews)

• It's still a law firm, so there will be long hours and the work can be monotonous (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company, some politics"

Current Employee - Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, amazing smart people to work with, community service hours, MV location is really close to the caltrain station, and everyone is generally pleasant to work with.

Cons

Some politics and pay is average but livable in the Bay Area (in 2017!).

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job keeping the culture and community alive as Fenwick & West grows bigger. Thank you!

2. "The best place to join the best legal/finance team"

Current Employee - Finance Assistant in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Assistant in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of he best things about working with this firm is that you get to work with the one of the best and most highly capable teams in the entire bay area.
    The firm is very invested in developing their employees and it is clearly demonstrated by the amount of effort they put into the meetings and events they hold.
    I can honestly say that I have never had a day where I have dreaded coming to work, even on Mondays.

Cons

There aren't many downsides but the biggest one by far is the commute. Obviously, this is not the fault of the firm but anyone who has driven through highway 85 during rush hour can attest to how horrendous an experience this is.

Advice to Management

Have one happy hour event per month, regardless of holidays

3. "GREAT LAW FIRM - AMAZING PLACE TO WORK!"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture; team-oriented; Management and HR are always checking in; work-life balance; benefits; best law firm I have ever worked for in NY! Employees are treated so well! I cannot say enough great things about Fenwick & West!

Cons

Nothing at all - this law firm tops every NY law firm in every aspect!

Advice to Management

From the moment I started working here I have been (and continue to be) treated as part of the Fenwick family, everyone is so welcoming and helpful, really amazing culture - keep up the fantastic work!

"Litigation Paralegal"

Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is great. The pay is great. The firm definitely appreciates the staff. I wouldn't work for any other firm.

Cons

The typical cons for every litigation department in any firm - when it's busy - work consumes you but when it's slow, you worry about your billable time.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fenwick makes their staff feel valued. We're a busy firm and we work hard, but our contributions are recognized and valued as much as that of the attorneys. The people are great and there's a lot of opportunity for career development (lots of trainings and educational programs). The firm also makes diversity a priority. The building is beautiful (with some awesome perks - game rooms, bocce ball court, on-site gym) and the location in downtown Mountain View is awesome.

Cons

Fenwick is busy, so we are busy. We can be stretched thin sometimes.

Advice to Management

Continue holding quarterly Town Hall meetings - everybody appreciates the candidness and the opportunity to have all our questions answered.

"Coordinator"

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a great firm! It has a strong culture and moves at a very fast pace. There is plenty of training for the attorney and staff population. The attorneys are generally very nice and pleasant to work with. The benefits are great.

Cons

Space. They need more space. People always seem to be constantly shifting.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Legal WP Specialist in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Legal WP Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West (Less than a year)

Pros

Fenwick and West is the most inspiring company to work for - they keep you engaged with the newest trends in information technology and have a solid and challenging work environment..

Cons

Work over load at times - staffed too short due to vacations and leaves of absence can have a profound impact on work load.

"Great law firm to be a part of!!"

Former Employee - Office Services Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Office Services Assistant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The environment was busy but not stressed. As with any position, you were always encouraged to be more productive without loosing accuracy. At the same time, you were given help to improve and it was just 'expected' of you to improve output from a previous review. Management was also aware that in some instances, production simple peeked.

Cons

As with any law firm, due dates and time could change at the drop of the hat. Work schedules would need to change in those instances and you may need to work late or come in early.

Advice to Management

Continue to actually listen to staff and offer cross training within departments. Possibly encourage more transitions to other departments.

"Great Place to Work- could stay forever"

Current Employee - Assistant in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

smart people, dynamic environment, from a staff perspective-- reasonable hours and great pay. office culture is pretty relaxed, everyone knows each other. Even the most senior partners know majority of names around the office, always treated with respect and given the chance to succeed.

Cons

general "staff at a law firm" cons-- not the same benefits for staff and attorneys, can end up with weird hours depending on what is happening on the attorney side, high expectations for professionalism

11. "I feel like I died and went to job heaven."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, constant parties and employee appreciation acts (for example, hey you guys are working hard so hear we hired a company to make crepes for everybody), good salaries, supportive management and co-Workers, great location, and a real sense of community. I feel like everything I do is received with so much appreciation. As for business, the firm handles some of the biggest names in technology and life sciences.

Cons

I can't think of one bad thing to say.

Advice to Management

I love Fenwick. Keep doing everything right. Thank you for making such a supportive and diverse environment.