Fenwick & West Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Gordon K. Davidson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Salary and benefits are good, and work-life balance is perfect (in 4 reviews)

• Fenwick is a unicorn in the law firm world (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing at all - this law firm tops every NY (in 10 reviews)

• It's still a law firm, so there will be long hours and the work can be monotonous (in 4 reviews)

1. "Fenwick ROCKS!"

Current Employee - Chief Professional Development Officer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Professional Development Officer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Fenwick rocks. It's a fun, supportive, caring place. Regardless of your position, you are valued as a mamber of the team. Upper management values diversity, and people are allowed and encouraged to be themselves. People at this law firm don't take themselves too seriously. I've been at other law firms where partners slammed doors and swore at the staff. Here, that doesn't happen. The Chairman won't allow it. We also don't have a million policies and rules for everything. People are expected to do their best, and they are trusted and given the latitude to make decisions and take risks. There is a lot of reward for doing so. We celebrate our successes every year at what we call State of the Firm. It's two hours of skits and performances and it features a wide range of people in the firm, from all our offices (San Francisco, Boise, Seattle and Mountain View). It's a highlight of the year. I've been here 11 years and I can't imagine going anywhere else. The firm recently won the Alfred P. Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility, and we always win the Best Places to Work Award. No one here is ever surprised.

Cons

Sometimes the onsite gym is crowded. And sometimes there isn't enough food at the Friday "Beer's Here" happy hours. Seriously, sometimes there is a lot of pressure. Working in a busy law firm, for clients who have very high expectations, can take its toll. But the people I work with are supportive and understanding, and we care about one another. We pitch in and help one another. When someone is having a hard time there are a dozen people who jump in to help him/her. There is some anxiety right now because of the economy, and many companies are having layoffs, but I think that's everywhere, not just at Fenwick.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to build the firm and keep it strong. Continue to communicate with employees throughout the firm so we can all work toward achieving Fenwick's strategic goals.

2. "I may retire here"

Current Employee - Information Technology Guy in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Information Technology Guy in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel valued and supported by my management and team. I am quite happy with my compensation and the work I am doing is exciting and challenging. The culture here is very diverse and very unique. I really think this may be the best place that I have ever worked and its definitely not my first. Fenwick is committed to using cutting edge technology and doesn't skimp on technology resources for its employees. Event our onsite datacenter is world class and leed platinum certified.

Cons

We get moved around a lot. I guess we are running out of space here..

Advice to Management

Stay calm and party on!

3. "Fits Silicon Valley"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very amiable and efficient work environment.

Cons

The division of departments within the office building could be improved.

"Fenwick and West is a testament to the Silicon Valley culture of excellence and progressive thinking"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fenwick management is typically rather positive and encouraging. The pay is highly competitive, but the workplace atmosphere is more incusive than divisive. Fenwick employees work as a team to exceed client expectations and everyone seems to always be looking for ways to help the firm grow and succeed.

Cons

With the firm growing it seems there is a lack of space in the building causing some people to be put in small cubicles, but more spaces are being built to fix that.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, Bay Area Location, Great Clients

Cons

Law Firm Atmosphere, Can be Long Hours Depending on Practice Group

6. "Great opportunities--thriving practice"

Former Employee - Of Counsel in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Of Counsel in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has a thriving Silicon Valley practice

Cons

People sometimes work long hours

7. "I feel like I died and went to job heaven."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, constant parties and employee appreciation acts (for example, hey you guys are working hard so hear we hired a company to make crepes for everybody), good salaries, supportive management and co-Workers, great location, and a real sense of community. I feel like everything I do is received with so much appreciation. As for business, the firm handles some of the biggest names in technology and life sciences.

Cons

I can't think of one bad thing to say.

Advice to Management

I love Fenwick. Keep doing everything right. Thank you for making such a supportive and diverse environment.

"Great Place to Work- could stay forever"

Current Employee - Assistant in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

smart people, dynamic environment, from a staff perspective-- reasonable hours and great pay. office culture is pretty relaxed, everyone knows each other. Even the most senior partners know majority of names around the office, always treated with respect and given the chance to succeed.

Cons

general "staff at a law firm" cons-- not the same benefits for staff and attorneys, can end up with weird hours depending on what is happening on the attorney side, high expectations for professionalism

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fenwick is supportive of staff development, in my experience. I feel as though I can't hit a dead end here, or if I do, it's mostly my fault. If you begin to feel stagnant as an employee, you can suggest ways you can grow or expand your position and receive a lot of support. The comp and benefits are very good for staff, and highly competitve with other firms. There is a culture of kindness that is pervasive. There is more than one office, but the firm does a good job making everyone feel as though they are working for the same place, by sharing projects across offices, communicating pretty well by email, phone calls, and video conferences, and getting people together face-to-face when possible.

Cons

Depending on the office location, there are plusses and minuses. The Mountain View office is very large and there are a bit more layers of management to wade through. It's not easy to figure out at first. If you want to be a "stand out" Mountain View might be kind of a big pond for you. The smaller offices (San Francisco & Seattle) are a bit more streamlined (management-wise) and personal if you like that kind of thing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Make sure the various offices get the communication they need from each department in Mountain View.

10. "Great client base and interesting professional opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time

Pros

Novel legal issues because clients are cutting edge. Strong commitment to pro bono. Effective management. Commitment to diversity. No objectionable clients.

Cons

Ebb and flow of the billable work cycles can be difficult as at any top law firm.