Fermilab Reviews | Glassdoor

Fermilab Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great place to work if your a self starter and capable (in 7 reviews)

• Great work environment and large diverse work force (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The director spent millions the past few years making his new fancy offices and trying to make cafeteria like CERN (in 2 reviews)

• The lab is committed to be the only single-purpose lab, this makes it difficult to collaborate with universities sometimes (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good for a while"

Former Employee - Applications Developer and Systems Analyst II in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Developer and Systems Analyst II in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fermilab is a great place at which to develop and apply technical skills. It is personally and professionally rewarding to work at this eminent institution.

Cons

If you're young or otherwise not necessarily looking to retire here, my advice is to gain your experience and make your mark as fast as reasonably possible. If your position is unchanged after a few years, consider making an exit, failing which you risk stagnating your career.

Advice to Management

Don't continue to pay experienced employees what they're worth in the free market, or anywhere close to it. Give them a minimal annual raise that encourages them to underperform and quickly exit. After all, it's perfectly okay if experienced personnel suddenly leave for substantially greener pastures. Additionally, be sure to maintain the average age of the group at over fifty, since core projects and services are not meant to remain online for too long anyway.

Like it or not, you're competing with at least the rest of Chicagoland for talent.

"Fermi"

Former Employee - Applications Development in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Development in Warrenville, IL

Pros

Great environment that attempt to advance in science.
    People are nice and always ready to talk to you about what they do.
    Work is laid back and not demanding.
    Flexible schedule.

Cons

Staff is old.
    Tools and technologies are old.
    Takes long to include any new technology, but they are open to hear new ideas.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Physicist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Physicist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fermilab (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic working place with excellent working and life balance.

Cons

Aging lab in the middle of a transition finding its next big facility after the close down of Tevatron.

4. "Great"

Current Employee - Intern in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at Fermilab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really interesting project working alongside an experienced mentor. I also had the opportunity to see lots of experiments, and had a lot of fun with the other interns who were working there too.

Cons

Travel from the UK not paid for, but the salary was good so it was fine in the end, also not much flexibility in terms of arranging an internship, but the dates suited me anyway.

"beware to retirees"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if your a self starter and capable. Also earned several college degress while working there.

Cons

Lower managment resent you working outside the " box" regardless of your abilities which do affect your pay raises.
    If too many engineers, or physicists ask for you personally on their projects this is considered working outside the box too. After Graduating Summa C Laude with a Business Management Degree it was made plain that I would be going nowhere

Advice to Management

Your lab was built in a large part by the boomer generation but no appreciation is shown when it come to retirement.
    You find it easy to sell off your retirees insurance coverage tom to an insurance exchange like Towers Watson who by the way has a lifetime limit which was not mentioned in your presentation as well as a 30% increase in Rx cost coverage for those of us who get Rx's for 90 days. Many of us have had the same Doctors fo 30 years and now you put us out to pasture like a bunch of simpletons who needs someone to tell us what kind of insurance we need You've shown your true colors. I truely hope those of youi that participated in this scam will reap what hardship you sowed. For me the day I must go to Towers Watson I'll ask to go on hospice. It may be painful but it'll be quick. Hopefully quicker than it took TIAA/CREF to lose over a quarter million dollers of my retirement. BTW if you think TW's One Exchange is good for us read their SEC filings and observe the profits they make and the risks they may be subject to.. All those profits come out of funds that would be paying our insurance.

"Feigning Corporate in an Academic World."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator III in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator III in Batavia, IL

I have been working at Fermilab full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation and Medical Leave are separate and accrue at equal rates.
    Laid-back, academic atmosphere. People enjoy sharing what they are working on.
    Vast melting pot of cultures from around the world.
    Cool tech on the frontier of physics.

Cons

Communication between Sectors, Departments and Groups can be rather problematic. Too many islands.
    Too much budget tension from year to year. Despite being employed by Fermi Research Alliance, the purse strings are held by the US Department of Energy Office of Science (thus DoE...thus Congress)
    Salary freezes and furloughs do occur when Congress refuses to function.
    It seems that Cronyism runs rampant in the (shallow) ranks of Management. There is a lot of dead wood which should purged.
    There are MANY working groups which tends to make the Management structure more broad than deep. The problem is that a non-physicist has a difficult time moving up the rather short ladder.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility. Make as many decisions as possible outside of a committee. Understand that results (controllable) are more important than public perception (not controllable). Be flexible enough to bring in a helpful technology, or ideology, without needing to "Fermi-ize" it into something ungainly and unusable.

7. "Invaluable research experience."

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Batavia, IL

I have been working at Fermilab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get hands on, personal experience with the best in the industry.

Cons

Batavia is a small and rural place with not much to see.

Advice to Management

No complaints.

"Working hard during difficult budget times"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and time off are great. It is also really fun to be around so many smart people. It is still the center of the particle physics community in the United States.

Cons

The lab as been a bit scattered in its approach for a couple of years and is only now finding its footing with the new P5 report and director.

Advice to Management

Always maintain a high, but achievable goals. I think in the past scientists have had lots of really wild ideas that have received far too much consideration. It is okay that they have wild ideas and that they discuss them, but at some point those ideas to be critically evaluated with and eye to reality.

9. "Fermi is like a family."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is more than respectful.

Cons

The great cafe options are too convenient!

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fermilab full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great interesting laboratory
    Does great work in particle physics

Cons

Didn't experience any negatives
    Was there for 10 weeks as an intern, very accomodating